I Have A Source For Ersatz Girl Scout Cookies!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 1517 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aldi sells imitation Girl Scout cookies under the brand "Benton". They have copycat Samoas, Thin Mint, & Tagalongs. The Girl Scout Tagalong is a vanilla wafer, a dab of peanut butter on it (and I remember a time years back when that dab was disapppointingly tiny), covered in chocolate.

You may be thinking of the peanut butter patty version, which has less PB than the Tagalongs. The LA Times did a comparison. See the full version here:

https://graphics.latimes.com/girl-scout-cookies/

5-C0-FDD47-9879-4193-B7-E0-9-D0-FFBFD6-A30.png

You may be thinking of the peanut butter patty version, which has less PB than the Tagalongs. The LA Times did a comparison. See the full version here:

Pay a little more, get a little more.... I am frugal, but when it comes to food, cost cutting is most often a disappointment.

There’s an ongoing discussion at my office as to what constitutes a “serving size” of Thin Mints. Three cookies as listed on the box or an entire sleeve? The consensus was, of course, one sleeve is the proper serving size for Thin Mints. There were a few outliers claiming that an entire box is one serving.

My position is that since one sleeve is never enough and two sleeves are in a box, then one box is a serving size.

There’s an ongoing discussion at my office as to what constitutes a “serving size” of Thin Mints. Three cookies as listed on the box or an entire sleeve? The consensus was, of course, one sleeve is the proper serving size for Thin Mints. There were a few outliers claiming that an entire box is one serving.

My position is that since one sleeve is never enough and two sleeves are in a box, then one box is a serving size.

I think it depends on your concept of a serving. If you're looking for a light snack, then one sleeve is a serving. But if you're thinking more of a meal, then the whole box.

Three cookies is a proper serving? Pffft, not even for the mice in my old NYC apartment.

Speaking of Dollar General-I don't go there often. But confession time here. As I don't iron, I am in love with Downy Wrinkle Releaser.

41Q0Yy4WenL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I use it so frequently that I wish I had a cask in the backyard that I could use to refill my empty bottles. But the stuff is expensive. I paid $6.97 for 33.8 ounces. That's about 21 cents per ounce.

Several months back I went into Dollar General. i don't usually stop there. But I think I needed some scissors. I came across this fake Downey Wrinkle Release while I was there.

5c48bd20862376fd4e7473556c5aa778.jpg

Its $2.00 for 33 ounces. That's only 6 cents an ounce. And as far as I can tell it works as well as Downy.

The main drawback to it is that It smells a lot like Downy too. I really wish they'd make an umscented version of both of them.

Gman

https://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/easy-wrinkle-release-spray

Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate it. Right before I found the ersatz wrinkle release at Dollar General I had found a recipe to make it at home. I don't think it was this one. It might have been, but my vague memory is that it was slightly more complicated. By chance I went into a Dollar General for something and saw the ersatz. The DG Ersatz is only $2.00 for 33 oz with Downy about $7.00 for the same. I decided that if you considered the convenience of not having to mix up a bottle yourself, then the DG brand was definitely worth the $2.

Gman

Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate it. Right before I found the ersatz wrinkle release at Dollar General I had found a recipe to make it at home. I don't think it was this one. It might have been, but my vague memory is that it was slightly more complicated. By chance I went into a Dollar General for something and saw the ersatz. The DG Ersatz is only $2.00 for 33 oz with Downy about $7.00 for the same. I decided that if you considered the convenience of not having to mix up a bottle yourself, then the DG brand was definitely worth the $2.

Gman

I tried the Ersatz Downy Unstoppable scent beads because the REAL ones are ridiculously expensive, but found the fakes left NO lasting scent on the clothing and linens.

Gman

I tried the Ersatz Downy Unstoppable scent beads because the REAL ones are ridiculously expensive, but found the fakes left NO lasting scent on the clothing and linens.

I'm sorry about that. Luckily the DG Wrinkle Free works great!!

Gman

I'm not sure if this is comparing the Aldi version to the Girl Scout-sold ones, since they mention a vanilla flavor, and the Aldi version uses a chocolate wafer, not vanilla. I caved yesterday and bought a couple boxes of Tagalongs at the pet supply store since the girls working the table were so sweet and loved my dog so much. I'll pick up a couple boxes of the Aldi version today so I can do my own comparison.

I'm not sure if this is comparing the Aldi version to the Girl Scout-sold ones, since they mention a vanilla flavor, and the Aldi version uses a chocolate wafer, not vanilla. I caved yesterday and bought a couple boxes of Tagalongs at the pet supply store since the girls working the table were so sweet and loved my dog so much. I'll pick up a couple boxes of the Aldi version today so I can do my own comparison.

For a minute I thought you were eating pet cookies. But if I'm reading the article correctly, it's not the Aldi version, the article was comparing. There are different bakeries that make the GS Cookies. I know of two. There may be more. For some of the cookies there are slight differences in names and formulas depending on the bakery. Some troops use one bakery-and other troops use the other.

Gman

• 2 weeks later...

A dollar saved is a dollar earned. Good job! Often times the off brands are very much the same as name brands. I do a bit of shopping at aldi for my basics. Why? Cause I can get the same or comparable items at almost half the price especially organic items.

Hug,

Greg

Liked the lemon ups way better than the Peanut Butter Patties. But in the end 90% of mine were consumed by my team. Otherwise I would have finished them off in a flash.

The Lemon ups are an acquired taste, but they’re my favorite now. The fake ones aren’t even close.

A dollar saved is a dollar earned. Good job! Often times the off brands are very much the same as name brands. I do a bit of shopping at aldi for my basics. Why? Cause I can get the same or comparable items at almost half the price especially organic items.

Hug,

Greg

One purchase helps the youth program, the other just saves you a few cents ?

One purchase helps the youth program, the other just saves you a few cents ?

Saving a few cents here and there over the years adds up and contributed to me buying my own business and my own home. Both of which contribute more to the economy than a box of cookies from the GS. Plus GS cookies aren't available year round so nothing wrong with buying the knock off brand.

Hugs,

Greg