Be a census taker!

FrankR
This topic is 1553 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My Instagram and Facebook have been flooded with ads from the US Census Bureau - advertising positions available as a census taker. I am surprised that it is time again for the census - feels like just yesterday... I usually get the form in the mail and return it the same way - when is the last time an actual person showed up on your doorstep to take a count??

census_cartoon_0.jpg

I’m looking forward to the 1950 census being available relatively soon.

When the 1940 census was made available, I was constantly finding stuff. I love the history it gives you. House value, where people were born, occupations, many extended, multi-generation families, or just boarders that lived in the same house.

I also liked the maps. I learned the street my parents lived on when I was born had a different name then, but no addresses, so no houses yet In 1940. A nearby freeway I grew up with, was just a road then. Some side streets look like they had a slightly different path back then. A section of our 2nd neighborhood looked to be large, but gone completely when we live there after another freeway was built.

The second house we lived in was built in 1942, so no info on that house, but it was a slightly older neighborhood , and I recognized names of neighbors that were living there when we moved there in the late 60s.

Tried to find info on my father who immigrated to US in late 30s, but found nothing. I was able to find info about my parents‘ friends, and my mother’s uncle and family who sponsored her when she immigrated here in 1950.

Now days, census takers are usually sent to doors in areas that are historically undercounted or have previously shown low levels of participation in the mailed survey.

I hate checking boxes. I enjoy coming up with my own answers.

Sex - Yes, please.

Occupation - Jedi

Phone number - 1-800 kars4kids :p

color-census-easter-bunny-w.jpg

I’m looking forward to the 1950 census being available relatively soon.

When the 1940 census was made available, I was constantly finding stuff. I love the history it gives you. House value, where people were born, occupations, many extended, multi-generation families, or just boarders that lived in the same house.

I also liked the maps. I learned the street my parents lived on when I was born had a different name then, but no addresses, so no houses yet In 1940. A nearby freeway I grew up with, was just a road then. Some side streets look like they had a slightly different path back then. A section of our 2nd neighborhood looked to be large, but gone completely when we live there after another freeway was built.

The second house we lived in was built in 1942, so no info on that house, but it was a slightly older neighborhood , and I recognized names of neighbors that were living there when we moved there in the late 60s.

Tried to find info on my father who immigrated to US in late 30s, but found nothing. I was able to find info about my parents‘ friends, and my mother’s uncle and family who sponsored her when she immigrated here in 1950.

I’m an avid genealogist and also look forward to the release of the 1950 census. I believe by law a U.S. census cannot be released to the public for 72 years making the release of the 1950 census in 2022. Before chiseling that in stone I should probably verify that factoid. I’m old and the mind is the first thing to go.

I’m an avid genealogist and also look forward to the release of the 1950 census. I believe by law a U.S. census cannot be released to the public for 72 years making the release of the 1950 census in 2022. Before chiseling that in stone I should probably verify that factoid. I’m old and the mind is the first thing to go.

I believe you're correct about the 72 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of census, I had a former coworker claim she only put herself down on the form as the lone resident at her address. As far as I know, she lived with her mom, dad, and sister. And that same sister got pregnant and continued to live with them along with her husband and newborn. Smh

I worked on the 1980 census. I got hired maybe halfway into it. My supervisor came to my apartment and trained me. You got paid a piece rate for the number of forms you completed. There were short forms and long forms, with the rate for the long form paying about twice the rate for the short form.

There were friendly neighborhoods and difficult neighborhoods. In some neighborhoods people were polite and nice-they might even ask you in and offer you something to drink.

Other neighborhoods the people were suspicious or even openly hostile and they made you stay on the porch.

Edited by Rudynate

Speaking of census, I had a former coworker claim she only put herself down on the form as the lone resident at her address. As far as I know, she lived with her mom, dad, and sister. And that same sister got pregnant and continued to live with them along with her husband and newborn. Smh

Did she not understand the purpose of the census or was the having trouble counting that high?? ?. (I am sorry, I know that was mean but I couldnt help myself!)

Hard to say. I'm sure she could count. I'd like too.i think so at least. It's more of a legality issue I think.

People need to know that the census hasn't asked about legality ever. Also, the point of the census is count the number of persons in the US. Everything from representation to government funding is derived from the count. Studies show a 1% undercount can cost a state upwards of 6 billion dollars in funding. Please get everyone to accurately fill out their census forms.

People need to know that the census hasn't asked about legality ever. Also, the point of the census is count the number of persons in the US. Everything from representation to government funding is derived from the count. Studies show a 1% undercount can cost a state upwards of 6 billion dollars in funding. Please get everyone to accurately fill out their census forms.

For sure, but some think of it as the government being too nosy. It's the same thing when people get asked for an anonymous review of the policies and management at their companies. People lure for fear of being fired or let go if they spoke up.

Considering the census is not allowed to share personal data with any other government agency (not saying they don't, but they aren't legally allowed to), people shouldn't use that as an excuse. Tax records also cannot be disclosed outside of the IRS without a court order. Birth records say nothing about where someone currently lives and with whom they live. As for people being afraid, I get it, but that only enables the people trying to manipulate the system.

The people who are hurt by an undercount aren't the rich and powerful. But sure be spiteful and vindictive, that always works out well.