Close to 50yo.... Where to retire?

MidwestCoastal
This topic is 1622 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ithaca, New York.

Would compete for the most leftwing college town in America.

Gorgeous countryside, waterfalls, glacial carved lakes, forests.

Wine country.

Because of Cornell, just about everyone in the world passes through -- so enough art, culture, intellectual activity to keep you stimulated.

Glorious summers.

Couldn't be more gay friendly.

Drawbacks: Isolated, and looooong winters.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you wouldn't have expressed a preference for avoiding heat, I would have recommended Austin or New Orleans... however, based on your post...

1. Knoxville, TN

2. Bellingham, WA

2nd tier: Vancouver, WA

The main advantage to living in Vancouver is that Washington has no income tax and Oregon has no sales tax, so the key is to live in the former and shop across the river in the latter.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you thought about getting out of the country?

Yes! I love the idea of being surrounded by people and not understanding a word of what they are talking about! (not being snarky... but Americans have gotten so ridiculous in our small talk & opinions- haha)

I would love to hear of others thinking about moving abroad. Maybe where the US Dollar goes further and still has good healthcare, safe etc..

I don't own a home and only have $650k saved... I'm starting to panic that I won't nearly have enough saved to live in a major city, so I'm thinking mid or small town. Many of you bring up valid concerns, I may end up miserable and alone and stuck in a small town with no theater, museums, shopping, etc. but I'm worried I will run out of money in a 'metro gay mecca'.

Consider Ashland, OR. I have relatives that have retired there and enjoy it. And they have a strong summer theater program.

Consider Ashland, OR. I have relatives that have retired there and enjoy it. And they have a strong summer theater program.

But be sure to buy chains for your car, if you want to drive south in the winter, because you may not be able to get over Mt. Ashland without them.

There have been lots of strings on this subject, but given your list, I'd consider Portland OR unless you consider it a huge city, which I don't. If you really would like a major university, then maybe Corvallis OR. We don't consider the hills around Asheville or Charlottesville to be "mountains" here on the west coast. Also, those towns can get pretty steamy in the summer. I find Portland OR to be very pleasant and livable. It's not inexpensive, but not really up there, either.

Asheville is surrounded by the highest peaks in the East, but still less than 7,000’ elevation. Unlike Charlottesville, Asheville is pretty tolerable in the summer, given it’s altitude. It’s eclectic, liberal, has fine restaurants and coffee, and is a paradise for hiking, biking and, especially, mountain biking.

if you wouldn't have expressed a preference for avoiding heat, I would have recommended Austin or New Orleans... however, based on your post...

1. Knoxville, TN

2. Bellingham, WA

2nd tier: Vancouver, WA

Knoxville really isn’t much of a place. Chattanooga really has a lot more going for it.

Bellingham and its neighbor, Fairhaven, are really stunning, but very pricey. Other great areas are most of Whidbey Island, Anacortes, Pt Townsend and Sequim, which gets less annual rainfall than San Francisco because of the Olympic Mountains rain shadow.

Spokane has also greatly improved. Great architecture, lovely bungalow-filled neighborhoods and a burgeoning restaurant scene. A lot of Seattleites have moved there.

Asheville is surrounded by the highest peaks in the East, but still less than 7,000’ elevation. Unlike Charlottesville, Asheville is pretty tolerable in the summer, given it’s altitude. It’s eclectic, liberal, has fine restaurants and coffee, and is a paradise for hiking, biking and, especially, mountain biking.

All probably true. The problem is it’s still in NC:eek:.

Asheville also has awesome massage therapists and yoga studios.

Checking in...

First... thank you to everyone who took time to respond. As always, this community has really provided much needed support for someone who doesn't have it 'in the real world'.

I've spent years being depressed about single. I always thought I would retire to somewhere with a partner. I have decided I need to potentially get comfortable with the fact I may never be partnered, so I'm trying to sample what that life could be like.

I don't know what I will do in the community I ultimately settle down in. I'm a loner right now who has focused years on trying to maximize my 'earning years'. I thought sampling a social life in a few places now may be a good idea.

I don't own a home and only have $650k saved... I'm starting to panic that I won't nearly have enough saved to live in a major city, so I'm thinking mid or small town. Many of you bring up valid concerns, I may end up miserable and alone and stuck in a small town with no theater, museums, shopping, etc. but I'm worried I will run out of money in a 'metro gay mecca'.

I'm contemplating leaving this job a year and a half from now after I get my full 5 year vest and last big bonus. I may not find a job with equal income or equity. I've always wanted to try to work for a start-up for a few years then maybe head back to school and teach at some small college until I actually retire, hence my interest in college towns.

The holidays will afford me some time to think. I will continue to look for advice here. Thank you again.

Hey fellow forum member,

have you considered buying some investment property, and then using the residual income to pad your funds, post-retirement? It may be a good option.. also if the property increases in value you can then sell it cash out and re-invest.

Also, you mentioned not having a “partner”.

consider getting one.....

Since most relationships these days aren’t traditional in any sense, find someone (a good friend), who is also single and propose “partnering”, to combine incomes and live comfortably together in retirement...

I’ll let you in on a little secret.... most “open marriages and relationships”, have the premise around financial security...

I used to shun it as a mockery of a “real” relationship, but now I realize how smart it is....

Me and a good friend have skirted around the idea of getting married to have larger property buying power as well as a padded travel budget....

This is how it’s done in 2019 ????

Hey fellow forum member,

have you considered buying some investment property, and then using the residual income to pad your funds, post-retirement? It may be a good option.. also if the property increases in value you can then sell it cash out and re-invest.

Since most relationships these days aren’t traditional in any sense, find someone (a good friend), who is also single and propose “partnering”, to combine incomes and live comfortably together in retirement...

I’ll let you in on a little secret.... most “open marriages and relationships”, have the premise around financial security...

I used to shun it as a mockery of a “real” relationship, but now I realize how smart it is....

Me and a good friend have skirted around the idea of getting married to have larger property buying power as well as a padded travel budget....

Sorry it is difficult to believe that member is interested in discussing his monthly income.

No I didn’t. I made suggestions that could possibly lead to residual income and/or securing more savings....

Why are you triggered?

And why have you volunteered to speak on behalf of the OP?

Happy Holidays!!! ?

I was in charge of the city of Philadelphia's housing counseling program until 2005.

On line advice is just that - advice, not worth much

Edited by WilliamM

I was in charge of the city of Philadelphia's housing counseling program until 2005.

On line advice is just that - advice, not worth much

Congratulations on your housing counseling program oversight.... 15 years ago....

If you see no value in advice... Why be a member of a forum that is centered around exchanging advice and ideas?

Just curious...

Have a Wonderful day!!!

Congratulations on your housing counseling program oversight.... 15 years ago....

If you see no value in advice... Why be a member of a forum that is centered around exchanging advice and ideas?

Just curious...

Have a Wonderful day!!!

I worked in Philadelphia from 1970 to 2005. Nobody should seek housing advise on the Internet.

Hey fellow forum member,

this is an interesting comment. many heterosexua couple over the years have NOT gotten married because of the potential of reducing monthly income. Now gay couples are getting married to increase monthly income. go figure

Boulder Co came to my mind as well.

Burlington VT

Providence RI

Carmel CA

I agree with most of those as well, although Carmel doesn't seem to meet the OP's criteria in that there's no university and there is a beach. Also, nothing gay there, and it's far from everything. But it is a beautiful place.