What's your favorite pie?

This topic is 1636 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Others have mentioned rhubarb and strawberries as a filling. I found a recipe for a rhubarb and strawberry crumble a few years ago which I made to considerable acclaim. My sister-in-law mentioned it years later. A mistake I made was cooking the strawberries before making it. The rhubarb needs to be stewed but the strawberries should be added uncooked, the time in the oven was enough. The only other ingredient that I can remember, and I suspect it was critical, was a large splash of cointreau in the fruit.

It's been years since I've had it since the bakery that always carried it during the holidays has closed, but my grandparents always had Nesselrode pie on Christmas. I hated it as a kid-- too much rum-- but loved it when I got older. I think it would be a bear to make at home. Custard, chestnuts, dried fruit, rum or brandy, etc. Hmm, maybe I'll try to make it this year...

http://www.thedomesticfront.com/forgotten-pleasures-nesselrode-pie/

Others have mentioned rhubarb and strawberries as a filling. I found a recipe for a rhubarb and strawberry crumble a few years ago which I made to considerable acclaim. My sister-in-law mentioned it years later. A mistake I made was cooking the strawberries before making it. The rhubarb needs to be stewed but the strawberries should be added uncooked, the time in the oven was enough. The only other ingredient that I can remember, and I suspect it was critical, was a large splash of cointreau in the fruit.

Try this for crumble/crisp Doesn’t specifically mention strawberries but I add them in.

And this for strawberry rhubarb pie

This season I’ve seen several recipes for a chocolate bourbon pecan pie. I’m intrigued.

There are several nice recipes for chocolate bourbon pecan pies on the internet. One of the best pies I can recall was a “Chocolate Pecan” from a little restaurant in Maine. It likely contained a liquor like bourbon or maybe an Amaretto style liqueur. But it also had an upper crust that was kind of an oatmeal / praline crisp with just a touch of cinnamon. It was served a bit warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. Totally decadent and probably enough calories to sustain an entire boy scout troop for a weekend.

Definitely pumpkin pie made from an actual pumpkin and not the canned filling, for Thanksgiving (with a dollop of whipped cream since not enough calories in the pie itself:)! Mincemeat tarts/pie are great for Christmas but this time I do like the commercial filling and not the real micemeat made with actual meat.

I recently read on some internet blog (so it HAS to be true lol) that there is no more pumpkin in canned pumpkin pie filling. Instead Libby and others have developed a squash that looks and tastes like pumpkin but takes less space and water to grow. Saves them a lot of money. For me it doesn’t really matter. By the time I add my pumpkin spices (not pumpkin spice), eggs and condensed milk the importance of the “pumpkin” has diminished a bit.

And if you’re looking to make real mincemeat, there’s what appears to be a good recipe on page 44 of the current issue of Taste of Home magazine that among its many ingredients are equal parts meat and rum. Let us know how it comes out.

I recently read on some internet blog (so it HAS to be true lol) that there is no more pumpkin in canned pumpkin pie filling. Instead Libby and others have developed a squash that looks and tastes like pumpkin but takes less space and water to grow. Saves them a lot of money. For me it doesn’t really matter. By the time I add my pumpkin spices (not pumpkin spice), eggs and condensed milk the importance of the “pumpkin” has diminished a bit.

And if you’re looking to make real mincemeat, there’s what appears to be a good recipe on page 44 of the current issue of Taste of Home magazine that among its many ingredients are equal parts meat and rum. Let us know how it comes out.

Thanks but have tried real mincemeat with meat a few times and to me is nothing like what you buy in the jar and definitely not as good in my mind. Sticking to the bought stuff for mincemeat!!

Yes would agree pumpkin and squash are similiar in that really just the vehicle to provide a base/texture and it is the variety of spices that you put into it that makes it!