Is United Premier 1K worth it?

Reisr30
This topic is 1657 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Question for the frequent flyers out there. For the first time in a while I have the ability to get premier 1K on United. The catch is that due to the PQD requirement I would need to buy a full fare ticket to Asia. I was actually going to do it and already booked my hotel. However, I am seriously having second thoughts. It's a lot of money that I could spend on other things that I would probably appreciate more ;).

However, I am attracted to the premier 1k benefits. What do y'all think?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for the frequent flyers out there. For the first time in a while I have the ability to get premier 1K on United. The catch is that due to the PQD requirement I would need to buy a full fare ticket to Asia. I was actually going to do it and already booked my hotel. However, I am seriously having second thoughts. It's a lot of money that I could spend on other things that I would probably appreciate more ;).

What's your status now in United?

100K won't guarantee you a First Class seat in all flights, that would depend on how many seats are available considering some folks buy that class of seat and the status of all the other passengers on the upgrade list.

If the benefits are attractive and the related cost is bearable given your personal financial situation, do it. Once you've made the decision, don't second guess yourself - it takes up too much valuable time that can be spent more productively.

Funny-Positive-Quotes-for-Every-Day111111.jpg?w=690&ssl=1

What's your status now in United?

100K won't guarantee you a First Class seat in all flights, that would depend on how many seats are available considering some folks buy that class of seat and the status of all the other passengers on the upgrade list.

I am platinum right now.

If the benefits are attractive and the related cost is bearable given your personal financial situation, do it. Once you've made the decision, don't second guess yourself - it takes up too much valuable time that can be spent more productively.

Funny-Positive-Quotes-for-Every-Day111111.jpg?w=690&ssl=1

Thanks! the benefits are attractive but I have to shell out thousands of dollars and that's where I am second guessing myself. Even though I could afford it, I don't want to just throw away money and give it to United if the benefits between premier platinum which I have and premier1K don't justify the cost. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks! the benefits are attractive but I have to shell out thousands of dollars and that's where I am second guessing myself. Even though I could afford it, I don't want to just throw away money and give it to United if the benefits between premier platinum which I have and premier1K don't justify the cost. Hope that makes sense.

I think you knew the answer when you posted the question.

Hire more in 2020!

Economy Plus is good enough that it might depend on who seats next to you...

I am not sure yet. Probability is 50/50. I traveled 76,000 miles this year and usually it's more like 50k miles or 10 trips

Mileage runs when you’re short in spend are hard to justify. I’m in a similar position with Marriott. I’m short on Spend for Ambassador status this year. I was very upset with the “perks” and think I’ll just save my money since the difference between that and Titanium are nonexistent.

These days, I'm not sure it's worth it. If you travel mostly in economy domestically, premier upgrades are hard to come by for most of the airlines. That's because most the airlines are selling out their first class seats so there are none left for upgraders......even if they have 1K status. That used to be one of the key benefits of the higher status. With platinum, you already get preferred check-in, early boarding, and lounge access (if traveling long-haul international). I had 1K with United during two different times in my life. One was pre-merger with CO and the other time was after the merger. I didn't feel the incremental service provided was really worth pushing to get the extra status.

I've been Executive Platinum with AA for many years now. The first class upgrades used to make it worthwhile but now I almost exclusively purchase first and business class tickets in order to ensure a comfortable seat. For the first time in many years, I'm considering not pushing for Executive Platinum status for next year.

I don't do airplanes any more because of the security theater.

http://www.lossofprivacy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/35195-original.jpg

It's the absolute worst. You are no safer than pre-2001 and it just the biggest headache ever. If I could get overseas without spending the nonsense prices of a cruise or the time, I probably would. As it is, the only reasonable way is flying. Living in NY, the train is much preferred to go anywhere from Boston to DC. I'll probably never live to see reasonable transcontinental train travel though.

Now is the time to earn status with UA, as the program will hemorrhage frequent fliers who can't make the spend. That makes for less competition on upgrades. Like all of the big 3, they're cutting the fat right now and the long-timers who made status on credit cards, promo offers and mistake fares are getting shown to the exit. If the spend won't hurt you, I'd say go for it.

American is doing the same thing: I just got an invite back to Concierge Key through Jan 2021, but it took a lot more long-haul travel than in the past.

However, for the amount of time I'm in airports and planes, it's worth it to me.

Now is the time to earn status with UA, as the program will hemorrhage frequent fliers who can't make the spend. That makes for less competition on upgrades. Like all of the big 3, they're cutting the fat right now and the long-timers who made status on credit cards, promo offers and mistake fares are getting shown to the exit. If the spend won't hurt you, I'd say go for it.

American is doing the same thing: I just got an invite back to Concierge Key through Jan 2021, but it took a lot more long-haul travel than in the past.

However, for the amount of time I'm in airports and planes, it's worth it to me.

less competition for upgrades. Nope. Actually more seats they can sell for $$$. Not a single one of my upgrades has cleared in years while they sell same day buy ups. I have GPUs and RPUs to burn as they never, never clear.

As has been said in many different ways, it's a personal decision based on the particulars of the airline program and on what you as an individual get out of it. It's interesting that the experience of different people on upgrades is so varied. As @Benjamin_Nicholas said, if fewer people qualify for the highest status, by definition your chances of getting an upgrade are higher, but that doesn't mean you'll get one. I've only spoken at any length with one person about this. He seems to be upgraded on most of his flights (with AA, he's exec platinum), but I know he checks the number of open premium seats on flights he is about to book. From the airline's perspective they're always going to try to monetise spare premium seats before giving them to frequent flyers. Unlike your FF points, upgrade credits aren't contingent liabilities in their accounts, they lapse if you don't or can't use them.

My calculations are different, QF doesn't give upgrade credits, most of the benefit of status is access to their lounges, Qantas Club for Gold, and domestic business and international first class lounges for Platinum. They also give you hgher priority for upgrades, but those are points upgrades. Their calculation uses status credits based on fare class, flexibility and distance rather than specifically on dollars and/or miles. One thing about mileage runs with QF is that status requalification is discounted, so that extra flight to qualify this year will reduce the cost of next year's status. I wouldn't take a long haul flight just to qualify, but I would choose the date I travelled to move it from one qualification year to another.

Having just gone through all that, I paused and thought of that old line that if you have to ask the price of something you can't afford it. Fretting over what to do and whether to do it in order to qualify for this 'status' thing is a bit like that, but guilty as charged!

less competition for upgrades. Nope. Actually more seats they can sell for $$$. Not a single one of my upgrades has cleared in years while they sell same day buy ups. I have GPUs and RPUs to burn as they never, never clear.

Just because you're not getting the upgrade doesn't mean there aren't UA elites who are.

Rolling spend priority means you never quite know if you're the top-top-top of elite or just the top ;)

Are you pre-confirming all of your upgrades/available fare-class through ExpertFlyer?