Is United Premier 1K worth it?

Reisr30
This topic is 1644 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The million miler program is your “loyalty“ program. Fly 1MM BIS miles and you get UA Gold and Star Alliance gold for life, regardless of how many miles you fly a year.

For life?

Did you read the judge's statement when million-milers took United to court via a class action for taking away some lifetime benefits (and lost the case)?

United got away with the "fingers-crossed" defense.

There was a lot written about the lawsuit but here is a short version which lets us million milers know that United can change its mind on anything and get away with it:

https://viewfromthewing.com/never-forget-frequent-flyer-program-lying-although-lie-others/

Once Continental merged with United and I never got upgrades, I just started paying for first class(which on the routes I most frequently travel, is often not that much more than coach once you've paid to pick your seat plus extra legroom). Basically, I will save my miles until I have enough to make a trip to Australia or NZ in international first, then blow them on that, then start over.

For life?

Did you read the judge's statement when million-milers took United to court via a class action for taking away some lifetime benefits (and lost the case)?

United got away with the "fingers-crossed" defense.

There was a lot written about the lawsuit but here is a short version which lets us million milers know that United can change its mind on anything and get away with it:

https://viewfromthewing.com/never-forget-frequent-flyer-program-lying-although-lie-others/

Did they take away lifetime gold for those people?

I get that you feel insulted that you have to pay more to get 1K, but why shouldn’t people that pay more get more benefits? I have actually been pretty mad for some time that my tickets cost more yet the extra GPUs are based on miles flown rather than how much I’ve spent. Some people are better off, some are worse under the new system.

I made out like a bandit in 2001 when it was the dawn of online ticketing and e-kiosks, and they were giving away bonus miles like candy. I was flying cross-country every other week for work, and it was usually a sub-$300 ticket because I had a Saturday night stay, where I would fly 5000 miles and get 22,000, at a time when an upgrade was 5000 miles and a free ticket was 20000. I racked up 450,000 miles in a year and was using them for upgrades for years afterward. So I sort of feel like I got way more than my money's worth already. I think the new programs just aren't really a factor for people who don't fly that much.

• 3 weeks later...

Qantas has opened a new first class lounge in Singapore now that they have reinstated A380 flights through the city (their London flights formerly went via Dubai). The number of first class seats on those flights is vanishingly small so the main customer base for the lounge is platinum (and One World Emerald) frequent flyers. I've only used their First lounge at LAX and was impressed (Mr Nicholas may have been less so).

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/qantas-opens-doors-to-brand-new-luxury-first-lounge-in-singapore/

United Premier doesn't get you through the door but I expect you'd have access to a similar level of Singapore Airlines lounge.

I have actually been pretty mad for some time that my tickets cost more yet the extra GPUs are based on miles flown rather than how much I’ve spent. Some people are better off, some are worse under the new system.

You can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all of the time.

-