Is United Premier 1K worth it?

Reisr30
This topic is 1643 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that UA has chosen to gut the program, there’s no point.

I agree that this latest demotion of United Airlines has gutted its loyalty program especially with their devaluation of accumulated miles. In most cases, it now requires more than three times the number of miles for a mileage award than it did before the devaluation.

Those with a lot of unused miles got a severe devaluation of those miles.

So, does 1K help with the pain of the devaluation? Absolutely not.

The demotion negatively affects 1K fliers as well as those who hold less or no status.

Getting 1K status is no longer worth the effort or the increase in spending considering the demotions.

While the economy is currently doing well, United can screw around with its "loyalty" program and stick it to their loyal fliers.

Just wait till the next recession strikes.

The airlines will be the first to feel the recession because there will be fewer fliers. Many business and leisure fliers will not have the funds to fly.

I remember the last recession when many businesses had their employees do conferences online rather than in person.

United will be giving away 1K just to get customers to fly their airlines.

Edited by coriolis888

I don't know about United, but on American with platinum status you can book your seat in Main Cabin Extra for the regular coach fare. I flew MCE to Chicago (no upgrades), and the woman next to me said she like MCE better than first class. We certainly had more legroom. Sometimes the window seat passenger can even go to the restroom without others in the row standing up (as on my last flight from DFW to SFO). So I had to pay $9 for my sandwich. My ride was very comfortable, and it wouldn't have been worth spending the big bucks to be in first class. Now international is another story.

I don't know about United, but on American with platinum status you can book your seat in Main Cabin Extra for the regular coach fare. I flew MCE to Chicago (no upgrades), and the woman next to me said she like MCE better than first class. We certainly had more legroom. Sometimes the window seat passenger can even go to the restroom without others in the row standing up (as on my last flight from DFW to SFO). So I had to pay $9 for my sandwich. My ride was very comfortable, and it wouldn't have been worth spending the big bucks to be in first class. Now international is another story.

that's called Economy Plus on United and unlike American it doesn't include free alcohol drinks. All 50K (gold) United members get it for free after booking any flight but 25k (silver) members only get it for free 24 hours before departure. It includes Exit Row, and it's not always 5 extra inches in front of your knees.

If there's no middle seat passenger it's easy to walk from the window to the aisle but that depends also on the size of the passengers.

Now is the time to earn status with UA, as the program will hemorrhage frequent fliers who can't make the spend. That makes for less competition on upgrades. Like all of the big 3, they're cutting the fat right now and the long-timers who made status on credit cards, promo offers and mistake fares are getting shown to the exit. If the spend won't hurt you, I'd say go for it.

American is doing the same thing: I just got an invite back to Concierge Key through Jan 2021, but it took a lot more long-haul travel than in the past.

However, for the amount of time I'm in airports and planes, it's worth it to me.

You're cocky! I like that!

"Is United Premier 1K worth it?"

In my opinion - NO -

United now requires a minimum of $15,000 each year in ticket spending to get 1K status.

It is not worth the gamble of probably not getting an upgrade unless you are willing to go at an inconvenient time or routing.

Other than the upgrades, what are the advantages versus a lower-tier status - answer - not much.

Worse for United is that they recently devalued their mileage program by taking away its award chart.

Fliers who accumulated hundreds of thousands of miles in their mileage plus account had their miles severely devalued. In many cases, to about one-third of what they were worth prior to the devaluation.

Those accumulated miles were like airline money in the frequent flier bank. A portion of the accumulated miles was earned with extra miles from being 1K status but most was earned from actual flying. What a terrible thing to do to loyal customers - devalue their miles saved in their frequent flier account for future flights!

If you had hundreds of thousands of dollars in an actual bank and the bank suddenly devalued your money and told you that your money is only worth one-third of what you deposited, what would you think of that bank?

Essentially, that is what United just did to its frequent flier program. It was gutted.

What is the point of staying loyal to an airline and spending a minimum of $15,000 annually only to be slapped in the jaw by having your accumulated miles severely devalued?

I will still use United when it is convenient. I have flown enough miles this year to earn 1K for next year but I feel ripped off even though the terms of United's frequent flier program say they can change their program at any time.

Again, no - it is not worth spending $15,000 to get 1K status with United.

Is United Premier 1K worth it?"

In my opinion - NO -

I’m 1K and a Million Miler on United.

And I strongly disagree about your feelings about being 1K.

85% of the time I am successfully upgraded.

However, the perk I most enjoy is SDC [same day change]. This enables me to constantly change my flights; the day of travel up to 24 hrs prior, based upon my ever in flux business needs / new last minute requests / demands and to do it for FREE of charge as many times as I like. If I didn’t have 1K status; each change would cost $300. Thus I’ve saved tens of thousands over the years as a 1K.

Next year, as mentioned already, the program is completely changing and thus this will be the final year one can do a “mileage run” for the extra miles you are lacking. (I’m headed to Melbourne myself next week for my last mileage run ever).

In 2020 United could rename the MileagePlus program MoneyPlus as that is what earns you status; not miles flown as priority but rather the amount of money you spend.

????‍♂️??‍♂✈️⚰️???

Edited by JTtorretto

Is United Premier 1K worth it?"

In my opinion - NO -

I’m 1K and a Million Miler on United.

And I strongly disagree about your feelings about being 1K.

85% of the time I am successfully upgraded.

????‍♂️??‍♂✈️⚰️???

You have a good upgrade history because of the routes you fly. If you flew a busy route, for example, LAX - ORD, your upgrade ratio would not be so good. However, it also depends on the time of day and how much you paid for your ticket. It is all about money with the new United.

As to the other things you mentioned that saved you money, most fliers do not make the kind of changes you mentioned.

With an airline, there is no "one size fits all"

So, my friend, my answer is still - NO -

In 2020 United could rename the MileagePlus program MoneyPlus as that is what earns you status; not miles flown as priority but rather the amount of money you spend.

I understand (and commiserate with) the comment, but being an AA elite, we've dealt with EQD and rolling spend priority for awhile now. It's the new normal across the industry.

That said, I'm fine with it. Airlines realize that their programs have gotten too bloated with people who have earned their statues through credit card spend and other non-BIS (butt in seat) avenues. With this being the case, it tries to spread elite benefits too thin to too many flyers. Thinning the ranks is good, for all programs, at this point.

As for mileage devaluation, that's always been the case. Always. Since day one of any program.

I think of airline miles like I think of mileage on a vehicle... The sooner you trade it in, the better. Cars rarely appreciate. Same with FF mileage. Use those miles as soon as you can. The days of banking them for years is over.

I think of airline miles like I think of mileage on a vehicle... The sooner you trade it in, the better. Cars rarely appreciate. Same with FF mileage. Use those miles as soon as you can. The days of banking them for years is over.

You have to look at the 'benefits' of each scheme according to what you have to do to gain them. If there is 'inflation' in the metric used to calculate a benefit (like EQDs, but not miles or segments) every so often the 'price' of the benefit will increase. That's what AA and now UA have done with their top elite tier. As I've mentioned before, my FF program of choice (QF) has had the same elite qualification numbers for as long as I can remember, but it's based on cabin class/flexibility and distance (distance bands not exact km) not the cost of the ticket, so the (say) SYD-MEL credit has stayed the same even though the cost of tickets has kept going up. Status seems for many to be the most valued benefit from the programs, but while you're looking at 'inflation' in the cost of that, don't forget inflation in your FF points. As Benjamin says, the days of banking them are over.

“...most fliers do not make the kind of changes you mentioned”

Leisure travelers tend to have a set plan that they stick too, thus you are correct a lot of fliers wouldn’t see the use of SDC benefit.

However, for business travelers like myself, SDC is a god send and if United touched this benefit it’d ruffle some vocal feathers.

(Tho it may be a moot point since achieving IK for 2021 will be so much more daunting and out of reach for a lot of people, including myself).

As for mileage devaluation, that's always been the case. Always. Since day one of any program.

You are usually right on the money so to speak. However, in your one sentence, this has not always been the case.

You said - - - "since day one of any program - - - "

Prior to the mergers of Continental and United nine years ago, United often used to give fliers double and triple miles for actual miles flown.

If you used those miles at that time you earned them, you could get some wonderful bargains on award flights.

United gave those extra miles for promotions and to encourage flying.

Those were the days before the airline seats were so full and before greed set in with the frequent flier programs.

Now, you don't even get one mile for miles flown unless you have some sort of elite status and paid a high price for your ticket. Then when you get those miles, they devalue.

I think currently, it is a bad idea to accumulate miles. I got shafted big time with United's award charts being discarded.

Oh, well, live and learn.

You are usually right on the money so to speak. However, in your one sentence, this has not always been the case.

You said - - - "since day one of any program - - - "

Prior to the mergers of Continental and United nine years ago, United often used to give fliers double and triple miles for actual miles flown.

If you used those miles at that time you earned them, you could get some wonderful bargains on award flights.

United gave those extra miles for promotions and to encourage flying.

Those were the days before the airline seats were so full and before greed set in with the frequent flier programs.

Now, you don't even get one mile for miles flown unless you have some sort of elite status and paid a high price for your ticket. Then when you get those miles, they devalue.

I think currently, it is a bad idea to accumulate miles. I got shafted big time with United's award charts being discarded.

Oh, well, live and learn.

I totally understand where you're coming from, but your response sorta just proves what I posted before: Don't bank miles, as they'll never be worth more over time. Use them quickly or watch them lose value.

I'm not sure what UA is doing these days as I've fallen back on my lifetime status (thanks to my high-mileage days with CO), but AA, with nearly every fare class- excluding basic economy- earn at least 1-1 EQM and EQS.

Fare buckets are a little confusing at first, but if you want to fully work the system, you've got to first know your enemy ;)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/earn/special-fares.jsp

The answer is it depends on the routes you travel and what type of ticket you buy. In my case, under the previous FF rules I would earn approximately 22,000 redeemable miles for my typical west coast-Europe round trip. Under the new changes, I peg at the maximum 75,000 redeemable miles per round trip. Even with devaluation I make out quite a bit better.

In terms of benefits, the best are free same day change and free changes and cancellations for your mileage tickets (which basically means every award ticket is fully refundable). I also don’t have problems using my systemwide or regional upgrades and I like the flexibility next year where GPUs and RPUs are interchangeable.

So for me the answer is: yes

I mean, $18k for published top status isn't really an insane spend.

AA asks $15k for EP and I'm going to be putting in at least $40k EQD spend with AA this year. Mid-level and C-execs can do that number several times over without breaking a sweat.

This is the new normal for these programs. Like I say to people about upgrades, don't count on them anymore. If you want the seat, you have to buy the seat. Nothing is owed.

This is the new normal for these programs.

Let's see - An airline mileage program that no longer uses miles flown to measure loyalty to an airline!

That is normal? No, that is greed on behalf of the airlines.

Loyalty recognition is now based on what you pay for tickets rather than how much you fly.

In most years, the mileage programs are more profitable than the actual transportation of passengers and freight.

I don't like the "logic" of using an airline's mileage program that is not based on miles flown.

Let's see - An airline mileage program that no longer uses miles flown to measure loyalty to an airline!

That is normal? No, that is greed on behalf of the airlines.

Loyalty recognition is now based on what you pay for tickets rather than how much you fly.

In most years, the mileage programs are more profitable than the actual transportation of passengers and freight.

I don't like the "logic" of using an airline's mileage program that is not based on miles flown.

The term 'the new normal' usually refers to formerly-odd things that are simply now considered the going norm. I didn't say it was a good thing.

The big three still use actual mileage flown in elite calculations: EQMs still exist. You still need BIS (butt-in-seat) miles to achieve status with almost any major airline. The days of earning decent status from credit card spend alone are over.

As I say to others who don't like how the programs have changed, you're always welcome to leave the hamster wheel.

They are variously called 'mileage', ''frequent flyer' and 'loyalty' programs. None of these terms is strictly accurate. Number of miles isn't everything, number of flights can be trumped by other statistics, and flying with another carrier doesn't disqualify you from a loyalty program. They are what they are. At the most basic level, one overseas return trip will probably give you enough points for a short domestic flight (hello, @azdr0710). To me, that was enough to justify joining but I can understand why others wouldn't bother. As can I understand why some posters here no longer want to bother about UA Premier 1K. News flash, they are marketing devices for the airlines aimed at getting you to have as many, and as expensive as possible BIS miles. It's your choice whether the baubles they offer are worth the extra $100, $1000 or 5,000 miles you have to spend or travel to get them.

Edited by mike carey

The big three still use actual mileage flown in elite calculations: EQMs still exist. You still need BIS (butt-in-seat) miles to achieve status with almost any major airline. The days of earning decent status from credit card spend alone are over.

Sorry to keep this thing going.

Did you read the article I supplied?

You will see that the new United program does not care how many miles you fly. They just want a minimum of $18,000.00 annually.

For example, you can fly a couple of hundred thousand miles in coach for less than 18,000 but if you have not spent 18,000, you do not get 1K

Sorry to keep this thing going.

Did you read the article I supplied?

You will see that the new United program does not care how many miles you fly. They just want a minimum of $18,000.00 annually.

For example, you can fly a couple of hundred thousand miles in coach for less than 18,000 but if you have not spent 18,000, you do not get 1K

Of course I read it. I know Gary and his site well.

At the end of the day, yes, you still have to fly to get status- as well as get to the spend threshold. It's two-fold. You cannot just put spend on an airline CC and use it as qualifying 1k miles. EQMs are still in play... With all airlines. Gary never said otherwise. His opening shot in the article was dramatic exposition. He does it a lot... With varying degrees of success.

Bottom line, you're concerned about something that's been in place at UA since 2014.

https://thepointsguy.com/2014/01/united-airlines-premier-qualifying-dollars-requirement-starts-today/

It's been the norm in the industry for awhile now and it's not going away anytime soon. The solution is simple: You can keep status by tracking your spend and mileage or you can fly carriers like Southwest who haven't gone to that model (yet).

Bottom line, you're concerned about something that's been in place at UA since 2014.

I am really sorry to keep this going. However, your statement is not correct.

The $18,000.00 minimum spend to achieve 1 K has NOT been around since 2014. it is a new requirement.

It can die now?

I am really sorry to keep this going. However, your statement is not correct.

The $18,000.00 minimum spend to achieve 1 K has NOT been around since 2014. it is a new requirement.

It can die now?

She's not quite dead yet :)

The point is that PQD (EQD) has been around since 2014. Minimum spend. It was $10k then, now it's $18k. This is not a new program.

Inflation is a bitch.