Random random

loremipsum

A maths question, well not actually, it's a random question.

If you start at zero and spell every number as you count upwards, what is the last letter of the alphabet that you will use?

Pondering. (Assuming English language and not Aussie here ...). How does an alphabet deal with an infinite never ending list of numbers? The answer I think is first mathematical, and then alphabetical. Or is it the other way around?

Pondering. (Assuming English language and not Aussie here ...). How does an alphabet deal with an infinite never ending list of numbers? The answer I think is first mathematical, and then alphabetical. Or is it the other way around?

It's alphabetical in that numbers are of a pattern that means the letters used repeat for successive numbers. So the letters in say 'seven' will repeat ad infinitum. It's only when you add numbers like 'thousand' and 'million' that you add new letters into the mix. I was half asleep when the question was posed on the wireless this morning and although I thought I had worked it out, I didn't text my answer in.

• 2 weeks later...

And I had to joke with the Trader Joe's clerk a few days ago that I couldn't find anything pumpkin-flavored in the store. He said something like yeah, you'd think this time of year we'd have that stuff for sale!

You have to watch this until the end. :)

• 2 months later...

This was on Australian Story on Monday night. It's a story of a bacterial infection gone wild. It's also a story of our health system providing treatment in extremis.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-23/mick-odowds-strength-in-face-of-quadruple-amputation/12833718

My mom died from sepsis that she contracted after hip surgery. In her case, her skin was molting and her hair, which had gone gray while she was in her thirties, was growing out dark brown. After going onto dialysis, having open heart surgery to repair a heart valve damaged by a bacterial bloom, and recovering from all of that she suffered cardiac arrest and died. Sepsis is no laughing matter.

@rvwnsd, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, it can't be easy to come to terms with even now. My condolences to you. Sepsis is certainly no laughing matter, but I was shocked to hear in the program that it takes more lives than most of the more common cancers. I love Australian Story for the way it focuses on the stories of individuals, in a way that shines a light on things that are relevant to all of us. This particular episode had me in tears, and I can't but admire the optimism that Mick and Katharine have despite having their lives turned upside down.

@rvwnsd, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, it can't be easy to come to terms with even now. My condolences to you. Sepsis is certainly no laughing matter, but I was shocked to hear in the program that it takes more lives than most of the more common cancers. I love Australian Story for the way it focuses on the stories of individuals, in a way that shines a light on things that are relevant to all of us. This particular episode had me in tears, and I can't but admire the optimism that Mick and Katharine have despite having their lives turned upside down.

Thanks, @mike carey . Even now, twelve years later, the entire experience feels like a surreal dream.

Another equally serious and (when untreated) deadly bacterial infection is cellulitis, an infection of the soft tissue just underneath the skin. Back in 2001 I had it and around the same time a colleague developed a similar infection. It started out like a bruise, but my leg hurt like hell. By the next day it was about three inches wide by 5 inches long and looked to be traveling up my leg. Long story short, my doctor immediately started me on heavy antibiotic shots twice a day and within a few weeks it was gone. My colleague ignored it until he was weak, nearly incoherent, and could not move his arms. His wife called 911. The infection had traveled up his legs and back to his shoulders. He was placed into an induced coma and treated with even heavier antibiotics than I was. He nearly died. If memory serves, he was off work for nearly six months.

Edited by rvwnsd