Starting over as a 60 something

purplekow
This topic is 1600 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Some days better than others. Thanks for asking. I feel that I could do better. When I have had success with exercise in the past, I have gotten into a routine and have stuck with it, because it fit my schedule and my life. Now, unfortunately, my time is spent in such a scattershot manner, that sticking to a program is very tough. I am trying, but success has not come easily,

You could make your exercise program the organizing principle in your life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some days better than others. Thanks for asking. I feel that I could do better. When I have had success with exercise in the past, I have gotten into a routine and have stuck with it, because it fit my schedule and my life. Now, unfortunately, my time is spent in such a scattershot manner, that sticking to a program is very tough. I am trying, but success has not come easily,

I'm checking in again. How goes the walking routine?

The most important thing to remember is that being active is a lifestyle and as such it takes time for the habit to become a routine part of your life. Also know that it takes three months of consistently performing a new behavior for it to become routine, and as far as physical fitness goes that is a long term process depending of where you start from. I'm 61 y.o. and my philosophy is to break a sweat everyday, no matter how I do it; walking the dogs, exercising, taking a sauna, whatever it takes.

• 2 weeks later...

Checking in. How's it going?

Just getting over a bout of pneumonia which has slowed me to a crawl over the last several weeks. The cough has finally slowed and my strength is back though I am still sleeping about 16 hours per day. I hope to be back to doing mild exercise in a day or two.

Thanks for checking in.

Sending encouraging and motivating thoughts your way!

Just getting over a bout of pneumonia which has slowed me to a crawl over the last several weeks. The cough has finally slowed and my strength is back though I am still sleeping about 16 hours per day. I hope to be back to doing mild exercise in a day or two.

Thanks for checking in.

That can really knock you on your ass for a while. Sleep if you need the sleep, and get up and do whatever feels comfortable as well.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for checking in.

Are you over the pneumonia? Best of the new year to you.

I am over the pneumonia and have started dieting but I still have a bit of exercise induced wheezing as a residual from the pneumonia which is almost gone but which has been holding me back from too much in the way of exercising. Thanks for asking. Happy New Year to you.

Sorry to hear about the pneumonia.

I am over the pneumonia and have started dieting but I still have a bit of exercise induced wheezing as a residual from the pneumonia which is almost gone but which has been holding me back from too much in the way of exercising. Thanks for asking. Happy New Year to you.

So sorry to hear about these issues, wishing you a swift recovery.