CANCELED - 2020 Palm Springs Weekend! #17

Oliver
This topic is 1508 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Did the empanadas join your regular menu? I ask because unfortunately my school calendar is in conflict and I will not be able to attend the 2020 edition. Plus, I did not attend 2019 because I was in CDMX.

My first and last swimming pool party was 2018, when empanadas were a new addition. You were not happy, @Epigonos (I was, ate at least a dozen) and pledged to keep on improving your recipe.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen latbear4blk if you're not coming I'm not making them PERIOD! There will likely be the usual:

Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Dates

Chinese Spareribs

Sausage and Spinach-Stuffed Mushrooms

Sloppy Joe's

Smoky Chicken BBQ Kebabs

Disgusting Deviled Eggs

Chicken Wings

As usual I will be looking at adding some new items; possible from the following list:

Mini Reuben Cups

Pork Satay

Scallops Au Gratin

Meatballs with Chimichurri Sauce

Or any others than hit my fancy between now and The Weekend End.

I am guessing that Oliver will supply his usual items.

Listen latbear4blk if you're not coming I'm not making them PERIOD! There will likely be the usual:

Chinese Spareribs

Sloppy Joe's

Smoky Chicken BBQ Kebabs

Disgusting Deviled Eggs

Chicken Wings

As usual I will be looking at adding some new items; possible from the following list:

Mini Reuben Cups

Pork Satay

Scallops Au Gratin

Deviled Eggs, Deviled Eggs, Deviled Eggs!!!! :):):)

Chinese Spareribs

Sloppy Joe's

Smoky Chicken BBQ Kebabs

Disgusting Deviled Eggs

Chicken Wings

Mini Reuben Cups

Pork Satay

Scallops Au Gratin

I am LICKING my lips...…..

Reading this thread makes me extremely jealous of our dear American friends :) Is there any chance an event like this can be (or is) organised in the Med somewhere in Israel, Turkey (ok this one is a reach as of now), Greece, Cyprus, or Malta?

The secret of this event's success is that it has a small number of dedicated organisers who do the hard work every year to make it happen. Even other attempts to have similar events elsewhere in the US haven't shared the success of the Palm Springs weekend. The only other one that has any traction is a gathering in Washington over the Martin Luther King Day long weekend in January, and it is less well attended and hasn't happened every year. (The likelihood of below zero weather [that's below freezing in American temperatures] probably doesn't help.)

Two other factors in its success are that it is a known quantity—people know that it's fun and presents a great opportunity to meet other forum participants (and hire some of them)—and that there is a critical mass of forum members for whom it's a realistic weekend trip. There is unlikely to be such a critical mass of forum members for whom a weekend in the Med would be compelling (even if it were combined with a week or so elsewhere in the area), so this might not be the best place to organise such an event.

RealAvalon very interesting point. I love to cook and frequently entertain my extended family during the holidays. I have one niece who is a vegetarian -- no problem I can and will prepare dishes she can eat. I have another niece who is a vegan -- major problem. She won't eat any food that has been prepared using cookware that has been used preparing meat, dairy or eggs. She thinks I’m being difficult when I tell her to bring her own food. I’m not about to equip my kitchen with a separate set of cookware just to satisfy her.

I am indeed a carnivore. My idea of a perfect death is a major heart attack at 95 with a great glass of red wine in one hand and a blood rare steak in the other.

P.S. If anybody has some excellent vegetarian hors d’oeuvres they are willing to share I’m more than willing to give them a whirl.

RealAvalon very interesting point. I love to cook and frequently entertain my extended family during the holidays. I have one niece who is a vegetarian -- no problem I can and will prepare dishes she can eat. I have another niece who is a vegan -- major problem. She won't eat any food that has been prepared using cookware that has been used preparing meat, dairy or eggs. She thinks I’m being difficult when I tell her to bring her own food. I’m not about to equip my kitchen with a separate set of cookware just to satisfy her.

I am indeed a carnivore. My idea of a perfect death is a major heart attack at 95 with a great glass of red wine in one hand and a blood rare steak in the other.

P.S. If anybody has some excellent vegetarian hors d’oeuvres they are willing to share I’m more than willing to give them a whirl.

it was meant as a double entendre - "meat" lover

Malta sounds intriguing. But yeah, I hate flying too.

So glad I can drive to PS for some fun loving gay hi-jinks.

triangleinn.jpg

I am not a particular fan of flying - particularly long flights - but a combination of the window seat, some liquor, and some Valium taken at the right intervals all help me "get over it."

I have another niece who is a vegan -- major problem. She won't eat any food that has been prepared using cookware that has been used preparing meat, dairy or eggs. She thinks I’m being difficult when I tell her to bring her own food. I’m not about to equip my kitchen with a separate set of cookware just to satisfy her.

My response to this relative would be "Starve, Bitch!", but maybe that's just me.

Back to Palm Springs ...

Yea I got the double entendre RealAvalon, BUT we do have some attendees who aren't the meat lovers (carnivores) I am. Thus I am always on the look out for new and interesting food to prepare for the Sunday Pool Party.

While I love my meat, I don't need it with every meal. After all, a couple of buns sprinkled with cinnamon make a fine start to the day.

• 2 weeks later...
I am not a particular fan of flying - particularly long flights - but a combination of the window seat, some liquor, and some Valium taken at the right intervals all help me "get over it."

Be careful mixing benzodiazepines and liquor.

'Long flights' is in the eye of the beholder, but 'one of the above' should suffice. I'd go with the alcohol. On my last Y long haul flight, the steward was very good at bringing another little bottle of wine.

'Long flights' is in the eye of the beholder, but 'one of the above' should suffice. I'd go with the alcohol. On my last Y long haul flight, the steward was very good at bringing another little bottle of wine.

Back when I flew BOS-ORD frequently, I was on an American flight. I must have been in first class. I asked for another glass of red wine. They opened a new bottle and poured. At the end of the flight, the crew had recorked the bottle and gave it to me, saying, “You were the only one drinking it.”

The secret of this event's success is that it has a small number of dedicated organisers who do the hard work every year to make it happen. Even other attempts to have similar events elsewhere in the US haven't shared the success of the Palm Springs weekend. The only other one that has any traction is a gathering in Washington over the Martin Luther King Day long weekend in January, and it is less well attended and hasn't happened every year. (The likelihood of below zero weather [that's below freezing in American temperatures] probably doesn't help.)

Two other factors in its success are that it is a known quantity—people know that it's fun and presents a great opportunity to meet other forum participants (and hire some of them)—and that there is a critical mass of forum members for whom it's a realistic weekend trip. There is unlikely to be such a critical mass of forum members for whom a weekend in the Med would be compelling (even if it were combined with a week or so elsewhere in the area), so this might not be the best place to organise such an event.

Yet a well liked member who now lives in that neighborhood has never attended. In Rancho Mirage.