Adam4Adam and Grindr

rocky
This topic is 1886 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just some friendly responses please. Recently in Adam4Adam, well for a long time now, I'm getting interests from Florida, California, etc, thousands of miles away. Of course I can pick out the flim flams but my question is why do they send personal notes from so far away?? Second, grindr; getting more from men who are titled "unsupported"; anyone know what that means and why that's showing up. Thanks!

I'm guessing that the "unsupported" titles might be bots. Or maybe that's their financial condition they are hoping you'll remedy.

As far as A4A, I check my account daily and rarely get replies from outside my "Home Location" or "City View." Sometimes I will get them from out-of-towners who are visiting or passing thru. Maybe word has gotten out around the country about how hot you are?

I never reply to people who contact me from out of the area on A4A, and it happens with some regularity when I am logging in frequently. I assume that most of the contacts are potential scams (most likely, "I am a lonely gay guy in a remote area just looking for love and wonder if you will send me money so I can come be with you?"), but even if some of them are legitimate I'm not particularly motivated to develop pen pals at this stage in life. Interestingly, if I let messages sit in my inbox for a few days the members who sent them are frequently banned from the site. I doubt that would be happening to someone actually just looking for love or sex.

Another version of same answers.

1 - believe most are scams. Particularly Grindr guys on active duty or training.

2 - for those that may be legit, Im not interested in penpals.

3 - don't know what unsupported means, but skeptically interpret it as a way around all of the Grindr prohibitions to mention money.

I'm guessing that the "unsupported" titles might be bots. Or maybe that's their financial condition they are hoping you'll remedy.

As far as A4A, I check my account daily and rarely get replies from outside my "Home Location" or "City View." Sometimes I will get them from out-of-towners who are visiting or passing thru. Maybe word has gotten out around the country about how hot you are?

Thanks, hot I'm not unless you are in to older pudgy guys..

Bots....short for internet robots, or automated programs that try to make connections to gather information.

From Norton Security:

The Good

One of the typical “good” bot uses is to gather information. Bots in such guises are called web crawlers. Another “good” use is automatic interaction with instant messaging, instant relay chat, or assorted other web interfaces. Dynamic interaction with websites is yet another way bots are used for positive purposes.

The Bad

Malicious bots are defined as self-propagating malware that infects its host and connects back to a central server(s). The server functions as a “command and control center” for a botnet, or a network of compromised computers and similar devices. Malicious bots have the “worm-like ability to self-propagate,” and can also:

• Gather passwords
  • Log keystrokes
  • Obtain financial information
  • Relay spam
  • Capture and analyze packets
  • Launch DoS attacks
  • Open back doors on the infected computer
  • Exploit back doors opened by viruses and worms

Bots are usually used to infect large numbers of computers. These computers form a “botnet,” or a bot network.

A while ago, I inadvertently changed my location on A4A to Santa Clara. I started getting hits from dreamy Desis and Persians and Latins. I didn't realize the ethnic mix in the south bay was that much different from San Francisco. I changed it back because the distances involved made it unlikely that I would make a date and keep it.

Bots....short for internet robots, or automated programs that try to make connections to gather information.

From Norton Security:

The Good

One of the typical “good” bot uses is to gather information. Bots in such guises are called web crawlers. Another “good” use is automatic interaction with instant messaging, instant relay chat, or assorted other web interfaces. Dynamic interaction with websites is yet another way bots are used for positive purposes.

The Bad

Malicious bots are defined as self-propagating malware that infects its host and connects back to a central server(s). The server functions as a “command and control center” for a botnet, or a network of compromised computers and similar devices. Malicious bots have the “worm-like ability to self-propagate,” and can also:

• Gather passwords
  • Log keystrokes
  • Obtain financial information
  • Relay spam
  • Capture and analyze packets
  • Launch DoS attacks
  • Open back doors on the infected computer
  • Exploit back doors opened by viruses and worms

Bots are usually used to infect large numbers of computers. These computers form a “botnet,” or a bot network.

Thanks for that great explanation.

Often when logging into a site you'll see a box with something like, "Type the text" followed by random words or letters/numbers. Or a box to check next to, "I am not a robot". Those are ways the sites try to ensure that you are an actual person entering the site and not a robot attempting to gain access.