Do you suffer from nomophobia?

marylander1940
This topic is 1968 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I bring my phone with me nearly 100% of the time for the following reasons (in no particular order):

• In case of emergency: Unlike 20+ years ago it is difficult to locate a pay phone. In case something happens, I want to be able to contact someone
  • To track my walking and cycling: Runkeeper is a great app. Instead of counting steps, I get to count miles. And track my progress.
  • To pay for things: ApplePay is a convenient tool.
  • To stay in touch with people: Yeah, yeah they can leave a message. And they often do when I don't pick up.
  • To listen music: I ditched physical media years ago. It is all on my phone
  • To remain informed: I read the New York Times, Washington Post, The Week, The Wall Street Journal, The Economist, ad other periodicals on my phone
  • To remain occupied: I get fidgety while waiting in line. See "To remain informed"

This is not to say that I will exhibit sigs of anxiety if I don't have my phone, but it is to say it is a useful tool that I like to have with me.

No. I do not suffer from nomophobia.

But I suffer due to nomophobics.

I suffer when I swerve to avoid them driving down the road erratically.

I suffer when they're in front me, the traffic signal turns green, the car doesn't move and I see their head bowed over a device

I suffer when nomophobics push their shopping carts into me while staring at their phone

I suffer when they cant look up from their phones on stairs or escalators

I suffer when they wander into traffic aimlessly while fascinated by the bright shiny object clutched in their hand

I suffer from those who only use speakerphone, holding the phone away from their head and engaging in phone conversations at high volume

I've suffered from nomophobics unable to stop using their phones at live theater performances despite pre-show admonitions and in-show scolding by ushers.

I suffered when I had to turn around and backtrack 40 minutes roundtrip because a friend freaked out realizing they'd forgotten their charger.

I dont suffer when, failing to look up, addicts fall into fountains, over obstacles, stumble off curbs, or when I see them head-down, car drifting into and hitting walls/poles in parking lots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYgTM1pPjKQ

I usually leave my iPhone turned off, because the only calls I have received when I wasn't waiting for a specific call were wrong numbers.

Occasionally I do not even bother bringing my phone, especially at the local Starbucks which is very close to my apartment. Whoever calls can wait a hour or more for a return call.

I do not carry my phone with me in the house and will go hours without checking it. I often leave my phone in my car when I get home. It is cumbersome in my pocket and I will place it in the passenger seat. When I discover I have left it in the car, I feel no rush to go and get it.

One thing though, I have some colleagues, relatives, acquaintances who take umbrage at not having immediate access. Most of my friends know my phone habits and deal with my delayed responsiveness without complaint.

The exception to my phone ambivalence is when I am on call. Then I answer all calls promptly. That is inconvenient in that I wind up answering many robocalls and sales calls which I would usually avoid by not answering,

My friends and relatives know that if they want me to answer the phone, they'll need to text first. I do the same: "Is this an OK time to give you a call?". IMHO, calling someone's cell phone without texting them to ask if it's OK is rude, unless you know they're available for some reason. If my phone starts ringing out of the blue I won't answer it. I wouldn't normally call someone without texting first any more than I would drop by someone's house without letting them know I'm coming. The only time I call someone without texting first is business calls when it's their business to answer the phone. Also, on my land line, if someone asks "Is this Unicorn?" or "May I please speak with Unicorn?" or "Is Unicorn available?" without identifying themselves in the first sentence, I hang up immediately.

I would have problems with your proposed etiquette.

I rarely text to the despair of my younger aqacquaintances. For some of my older friends, they'd have to send you a postcard because a letter would be too time consuming.

In my case, since the phone is in the living room and most of the time I'm in the bedroom I tend to only answer voice mail.

6a00d8354c047469e20162fc4a39aa970d-pi

IMHO, calling someone's cell phone without texting them to ask if it's OK is rude, unless you know they're available for some reason.

Edited by Guy Fawkes

My friends and relatives know that if they want me to answer the phone, they'll need to text first. I do the same: "Is this an OK time to give you a call?".

I don't get this.

Both phone and text are "interruptive" forms of communication and I can see tamping down the intrusion. But text me before you call? What purpose does that serve?

If you call and I can't take your call, you'll get voice mail. If you text and I don't reply, I probably won't answer a call.

I've already adopted a policy where I don't answer a call without caller ID if I don't recognize the number. (This is a luxury you don't have with texts.)

I have a "land line" phone # as part of my CATV package. I've never used it. I've never given the number to anyone. It still rings 3 times/day with some robocaller or other. I never answer.

If someone I know is calling, I'll answer. Unless I'm busy or asleep or otherwise unavailable, and then they'll get voicemail. I'm certainly not going to add an ACTIVE thing I have to do (text) before they try calling.

I don't get this.

Both phone and text are "interruptive" forms of communication and I can see tamping down the intrusion. But text me before you call? What purpose does that serve?

There are some very important differences between texting and a cell phone call. Unlike a phone call, a text can be answered a few minutes later, so it wouldn't interrupt, for example, a visit between a doctor and a patient, or a meal. Unlike a phone call, a text can be viewed and answered discreetly, such as during a meeting or at a lecture. And, most importantly, texts, unlike phone calls which come out of the blue, are rarely spam (and if it's spam, it's immediately identifiable as such). If someone chooses not to text, then he will have to find some other way of communicating with me, such as e-mail.

I suppose that if someone is just sitting in front of a desk or computer monitor all day, then answering a phone or text is pretty similarly "interruptive," but there's a big difference if your job involves interacting with other people.

There are some very important differences between texting and a cell phone call. Unlike a phone call, a text can be answered a few minutes later, so it wouldn't interrupt, for example, a visit between a doctor and a patient, or a meal.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I actually discourage texting.

If I can take your call I will. If I can’t take your call you’ll get voicemail. If I’m with a doctor or having a meal, the phone will be turned off and you’ll get voicemail.

I don’t need to check for texts to make any of this happen.