Knee replacement

Caddy33
This topic is 1994 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Been there done that. But I did pre op PT then residential post op pt for 10 days. I needed to get back to the gym ASAP because I’m a non medicating diabetic who relies on diet and exercising to manage glucose levels. All went well until I slipped on the stairs at the gym and tore the ligament above the new knee. Took almost 2 years to be finally pain free.

PT will focus on range of motion and leg strength. They’re very important but make sure they include balance as well. With the two injuries I was in a leg restraint so long that I lost muscle memory even in walking. Walking in a straight line was ok but I had to stop and think a bit to make any change in direction. Don’t leave a PT session without a list of exercises with explanations that you’re to do at least once and preferably twice a day until you’re next session. And make sure you take your pain meds an hour before each PT session. If you find you’re not needing them you’re not working hard enough.

And now the bad news: TSA will put you thru X-ray even if you’re TSA Pre or over 75. I had one demand to see the scar. I refused. I had just gotten off a trans Pacific flight and was wearing compression hose. I would have had to drop trou to comply. I was ushered into a room for privacy and did as ordered. Meanwhile I was a wheelchair passenger and they dismissed my wheelchair attendant and left me in the lurch.

Welcome to your new reality. And good luck.

I was reading about stem cell therapy for knees-anyone heard of that-I think they call it regenerative therapy?

Yes. My Sports Med Doc mentioned it. It may be the treatment of choice in the future but currently (as of 2 years ago when we talked) is considered experimental and thus not covered by insurance and ain’t cheap - maybe $9,000 a knee. And it’s not for guys like me who waited till it was bone on bone for treatment. He’d done it several time on rich guys with pPeter Pan complexes: they wanted to continue to play hard driving basketball with kids half or a third their age.

Ice is your friend. Use often. A big bag of frozen peas works well. But cheaper and as effective is a big ziplock bag half filled with a solution that is equal parts water and rubbing alcohol. Get most of the air out, zip and freeze. This frozen bag is very pliable so it fits around the knee joint better. I had servral in the freezer at all times.

I wasn't a candidate for stem cell therapy. At last look (for an 85+ year old friend) the recovery is six months non-weight bearing. Not worth it.

And make sure your dental hygiene is good prior to surgery.

I was reading about stem cell therapy for knees-anyone heard of that-I think they call it regenerative therapy?

Yes. My Sports Med Doc mentioned it. It may be the treatment of choice in the future but currently (as of 2 years ago when we talked) is considered experimental and thus not covered by insurance and ain’t cheap - maybe $9,000 a knee. And it’s not for guys like me who waited till it was bone on bone for treatment. He’d done it several time on rich guys with pPeter Pan complexes: they wanted to continue to play hard driving basketball with kids half or a third their age.

I've had both knees replaced, one in Jan of 2017 and the other Jan of 2018. Because of new technology, where they don't cut muscle, the recovery is much easier. I've had pain for years and now I have none. Recovery was easy and the physical therapy helped alot in the healing process. Knees used to be a difficult recovery, but now it's become much, much easier. As a matter of fact, I did a very difficult climb in Rwanda in Sept and my knees gave me no pain whatsoever.

I've had both knees replaced, one in Jan of 2017 and the other Jan of 2018. Because of new technology, where they don't cut muscle, the recovery is much easier. I've had pain for years and now I have none. Recovery was easy and the physical therapy helped alot in the healing process. Knees used to be a difficult recovery, but now it's become much, much easier. As a matter of fact, I did a very difficult climb in Rwanda in Sept and my knees gave me no pain whatsoever.

100% the same.

Strangely enough, I had a conversation an hour ago with a neighbor whose wife recently had a knee replacement. Her recovery has been fairly rapid, considering that she is in her late 80s, but she still has difficulty bending the knee, and she is afraid to walk without a cane, something she never needed before.

I think each person is so unique. I had a friend who had a TKR (total knee replacement) and she scared me to death and gave me boxes of ice packs.

I had the TKR myself and hardly used any ice because I didn’t have a lot of pain. To this day I have unopened boxes of ice packs in my closet based on her scaring me! But maybe someone else would have needed them?!