Holiday tipping: my barber

E.T.Bass
This topic is 2014 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I see there are several threads on tipping. However I am creating this new thread to focus on a specific issue. I also know there are some hardline anti-tippers here on the forum. I come from parents and family that are frugal, below average tippers, so I feel you. But that's not me, and I'm not really interested in dialoguing with my parents right now. :p

I get a standard haircut, which takes around 20 minutes. I keep my hair short and conservative looking. The gal that cuts my hair is quite good and she is very sweet. She makes me look pretty good. :cool: We always carry on a nice conversation.

How do some of you handle the holiday tip for your barber? How much does one give and what is the protocol for handing over the tip? Does one hand it with a small card?

I see recommendations on the internet for the $$ amount. I also see recommendations that giving a small gift is appropriate. What kind of gift might work for tipping a barber?

Holiday_tipping-MoneyUnder30.png

Edited by E.T.Bass

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a way it sounds like you should decide whether you would like to give her a tip or a Xmas gift. The Xmas gift in my estimation might be a small amount bigger than your usual tip and that lets her know you were thinking of her. For instance it could be something based on something you have spoken about in the past, like movie or book gift certificates. Or maybe some kind of special teas or chocolates. Or even special hand lotions, etc. It's hard.

In a way it sounds like you should decide whether you would like to give her a tip or a Xmas gift. The Xmas gift in my estimation might be a small amount bigger than your usual tip and that lets her know you were thinking of her. For instance it could be something based on something you have spoken about in the past, like movie or book gift certificates. Or maybe some kind of special teas or chocolates. Or even special hand lotions, etc. It's hard.

How do some of you handle the holiday tip for your barber? How much does one give and what is the protocol for handing over the tip? Does one hand it with a small card?

I see recommendations on the internet for the $$ amount. I also see recommendations that giving a small gift is appropriate. What kind of gift might work for tipping a barber?

I do tip for the holidays - my usual holiday tip for my stylist is the cost of one visit, rounded up. So if you usually pay $15 for the cut + say $5 tip = $20, I would tip $25 being the $20 holiday tip plus regular visit $5 tip. I usually hand over the cash, wish him a happy holiday. No card or gift, just a sincere thank you and a bit of holiday cash to spread around.

I do tip for the holidays - my usual holiday tip for my stylist is the cost of one visit, rounded up. So if you usually pay $15 for the cut + say $5 tip = $20, I would tip $25 being the $20 holiday tip plus regular visit $5 tip. I usually hand over the cash, wish him a happy holiday. No card or gift, just a sincere thank you and a bit of holiday cash to spread around.

I’m a generous and consistent tipper; I see my guy for a haircut and beard shape/trim every 2 weeks. He’s never raised my rates in 6+ years, always does an outstanding and speedy job, communicates early if he’s going on vacation, etc. He’s Muslim so I tend to tip extra around important holidays on the Islamic calendar, but when I do tip, I pay him twice the total amount I usually give him.

I’m a generous and consistent tipper; I see my guy for a haircut and beard shape/trim every 2 weeks. He’s never raised my rates in 6+ years, always does an outstanding and speedy job, communicates early if he’s going on vacation, etc. He’s Muslim so I tend to tip extra around important holidays on the Islamic calendar, but when I do tip, I pay him twice the total amount I usually give him.

I tip my barber rather liberally every time I get my hair cut (about once per month), so I see no reason for a larger tip than normal at the holidays.

I tip my barber well after each visit.

But, I look at it this way since I get an old-fashioned hot towel/face massage followed by a straight razor shave in conjunction with my beard trim ---- This is one man I really, really want to be happy to see me!!!

This equals BIG HOLIDAY TIP!!!

I tip my barber rather liberally every time I get my hair cut (about once per month), so I see no reason for a larger tip than normal at the holidays.

I tip my barber well after each visit.

But, I look at it this way since I get an old-fashioned hot towel/face massage followed by a straight razor shave in conjunction with my beard trim ---- This is one man I really, really want to be happy to see me!!!

This equals BIG HOLIDAY TIP!!!

I see there are several threads on tipping. However I am creating this new thread to focus on a specific issue. I also know there are some hardline anti-tippers here on the forum. I come from parents and family that are frugal, below average tippers, so I feel you. But that's not me, and I'm not really interested in dialoguing with my parents right now. :p

I get a standard haircut, which takes around 20 minutes. I keep my hair short and conservative looking. The gal that cuts my hair is quite good and she is very sweet. She makes me look pretty good. :cool: We always carry on a nice conversation.

I went to a barber shop for the first time in years a couple weeks ago. He buzzed my hair, trimmed my beard and eyebrows, and when he was done, I looked fabulous. He charged me 50.00 and I tipped him 10.00. He seemed happy to get it. I got the impression that he doesn't get that sort of tip very often. I think I want to see him regularly. It feels like a total luxury to have a barber trim my beard.

I went to a barber shop for the first time in years a couple weeks ago. He buzzed my hair, trimmed my beard and eyebrows, and when he was done, I looked fabulous. He charged me 50.00 and I tipped him 10.00. He seemed happy to get it. I got the impression that he doesn't get that sort of tip very often. I think I want to see him regularly. It feels like a total luxury to have a barber trim my beard.

Here’s how I feel about tipping. Anyone who works for tips is generally not rolling in dough. For my barber I tip at least $5 or 20%, whichever is greater. When the holidays come around, I’ll give an extra tip, like twice the cost of a haircut. In the long run, I’m not really going to miss the cash but I like to make sure that I appreciate someone who does a good job for me.

Here’s how I feel about tipping. Anyone who works for tips is generally not rolling in dough. For my barber I tip at least $5 or 20%, whichever is greater. When the holidays come around, I’ll give an extra tip, like twice the cost of a haircut. In the long run, I’m not really going to miss the cash but I like to make sure that I appreciate someone who does a good job for me.

Around the holidays I try to give everyone who works for me a bonus.

In general, I try to make the bonus equivalent to 2 weeks worth of work.

So if I get my haircut every week for $50....I’d give a $100 bonus at Christmas.

If I got my hair cut every 4 weeks for $40....I’d give a $20 bonus.

Not sure that helps, but I think it’s generous and it makes my life easier.

Around the holidays I try to give everyone who works for me a bonus.

In general, I try to make the bonus equivalent to 2 weeks worth of work.

So if I get my haircut every week for $50....I’d give a $100 bonus at Christmas.

If I got my hair cut every 4 weeks for $40....I’d give a $20 bonus.

Not sure that helps, but I think it’s generous and it makes my life easier.

I keep my hair very short, so see my barber every two weeks, sometimes sooner if my, or his travel plans would put the next appointment beyond the normal next appointment. The couple of times I've called at the last moment to get in early, he's stayed late. He only charges $15, so I give him a $20 bill each visit. Christmas tip, $100 on top of the normal $20.

I keep my hair very short, so see my barber every two weeks, sometimes sooner if my, or his travel plans would put the next appointment beyond the normal next appointment. The couple of times I've called at the last moment to get in early, he's stayed late. He only charges $15, so I give him a $20 bill each visit. Christmas tip, $100 on top of the normal $20.