Sugar Is KILLING Us - Seriously

MasssageGuy
This topic is 1700 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Every Friday night in the fall, it was rollerskating night at the recreation center by our house. I remember this song, and seeing my little brother kissing the girl who lived next door while this song was playing. Thanks for the memory.

I remember SUGAR SUGAR battling it out with AQUARIAS for the #1 song of 1969.

This is a list of Billboard magazine's Top Hot 100 songs of 1969.

Title Artist(s)

1 "Sugar, Sugar" The Archies

2 "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In" The 5th Dimension

3 "I Can't Get Next to You" The Temptations

4 "Honky Tonk Women" The Rolling Stones

5 "Everyday People" Sly and the Family Stone

6 "Dizzy" Tommy Roe

Dizzy is the first record I ever bought. It skipped. I had to return it to the variety store across the street SIX TIMES before I got a copy that worked, which I probably still have in a closet somewhere. Between my sister and I, we had about half the top 100 that year. I turned 7 that August, she was 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1969

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember SUGAR SUGAR battling it out with AQUARIAS for the #1 song of 1969.

This is a list of Billboard magazine's Top Hot 100 songs of 1969.

Title Artist(s)

1 "Sugar, Sugar" The Archies

2 "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In" The 5th Dimension

3 "I Can't Get Next to You" The Temptations

4 "Honky Tonk Women" The Rolling Stones

5 "Everyday People" Sly and the Family Stone

6 "Dizzy" Tommy Roe

Dizzy is the first record I ever bought. It skipped. I had to return it to the variety store across the street SIX TIMES before I got a copy that worked, which I probably still have in a closet somewhere. Between my sister and I, we had about half the top 100 that year. I turned 7 that August, she was 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1969

200.gif?cid=3640f6095bea565f64336d49452d4bee

Our food and attitudes are definitely killing us.

If we can be objective, its also a huge factor overlooked in over-simplified arguments about our health care system and comparisons to countries with national health systems.

We're a society that values convenience and quantity over qualtity more than any other on earth. We dont want to eat healthy, we'd rather take pills for cholesterol, GERD, sugar/diabetes, etc.... and drive thru at McDonalds.

I've watched French people grocery shop at Trader Joe's. They seem quite careful about what they were buying, the way they read the labels and ingredients of everything, and then had a short conversation before deciding. They do seem to focus more on quality then quantity.

Edited by E.T.Bass

I've watched French people grocery shop at Trader Joe's. They seem quite careful about what they were buying, the way they read the labels and ingredients of everything, and then had a short conversation before deciding. They do seem to focus more on quality and quantity.

I bet they were all height/weight proportionate. Were they?

Our food and attitudes are definitely killing us.

If we can be objective, its also a huge factor overlooked in over-simplified arguments about our health care system and comparisons to countries with national health systems.

We're a society that values convenience and quantity over qualtity more than any other on earth. We dont want to eat healthy, we'd rather take pills for cholesterol, GERD, sugar/diabetes, etc.... and drive thru at McDonalds.

We’re also a poorly educated society, which leads to poor nutritional choices. We’re also sedentary, which is highly dangerous. In a hyper-capitalist society, where the infernal TV blasts ads for pig-slop 24/7, it’s no wonder that the obesity epidemic is raging. I was in Easter Europe for six weeks this summer and counted exactly six morbidly obese people. They don’t have a food supply controlled by greedy corporations that pump poisons into the food supply. Rant over. I don’t think there will be any improvement in the obesity problem.

We're also a gluttonous, bigger-is-better society. It's impossible to buy a 12 oz can of soda anymore - your only choice now is a 20 oz plastic bottle. McDonald's won't even use the word 'small' on their menu - portion sizes start at 'medium'. When I eat at a restaurant, food is piled up on top of itself in servings twice the size what I would normally eat. Everything is "buy two, get one free" or else you will be penalized financially for trying to buy small sizes in moderation.

We're also a gluttonous, bigger-is-better society. It's impossible to buy a 12 oz can of soda anymore - your only choice now is a 20 oz plastic bottle. McDonald's won't even use the word 'small' on their menu - portion sizes start at 'medium'. When I eat at a restaurant, food is piled up on top of itself in servings twice the size what I would normally eat. Everything is "buy two, get one free" or else you will be penalized financially for trying to buy small sizes in moderation.

You are absolutely correct in your observation.

In fact, there is a documentary on called "Super Size Me" that speaks to the bigger-is-better society.

It is astounding to see the psychological and physiological changes that the guy that makes the documentary goes through as he eats "super size" fast food for 30 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1NnrXknRNg

In fact, there is a documentary on called "Super Size Me" that speaks to the bigger-is-better society.

It is astounding to see the psychological and physiological changes that the guy that makes the documentary goes through as he eats "super size" fast food for 30 days.

Of course bigger is better - that’s my main selling point these days!!:p

This documentary was an eye opener for me - time well spent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1NnrXknRNg

It’s a ridiculous “documentary” which only re-enforces a smart/informed practice of “everything in moderation, nothing in excess”

I use Splenda and a salt substitute.

I read that while using Splenda may have no effect on human cells, it causes havoc to the bacteria living in your digestional tract. I don't know how true that is, but I recommend using Stevia. I like the Pyure brands organic Stevia Blend. Doesn't have that nasty metallic aftertaste the cheaper stuff does.

I read that while using Splenda may have no effect on human cells, it causes havoc to the bacteria living in your digestional tract. I don't know how true that is, but I recommend using Stevia. I like the Pyure brands organic Stevia Blend. Doesn't have that nasty metallic aftertaste the cheaper stuff does.

Thanks for the recommendation. I rarely use a sweetener. I had some blackberries last week. That was the first time in months.

Stevia is in the green box.

I haven't eaten a banana in over a year. My doctor says my potassium is too high, but that's probably due to one of the meds he prescribed.

I don't like bananas; I have only eaten one in my life. I was @12yo. One time my mother made bread pudding for dessert. It looked terrible! I gave it to my father. My mother told me if I weren't going to eat what she made then I couldn't eat with the family. So I went without lunch to school. One girl gave me a banana.

It’s a ridiculous “documentary” which only re-enforces a smart/informed practice of “everything in moderation, nothing in excess”

It is not ridiculous. I suppose folks said the same things about tobacco documentaries. Smoking tobacco (which by the way is laden with added sugar) even in moderation is harmful.

Here is an interesting article...

Eating Toward Immortality

direct?resize=w2000&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.theatlantic.com%2Fassets%2Fmedia%2Fimg%2Fmt%2F2017%2F02%2FGettyImages_183968614%2Flead_720_405.jpg%3Fmod%3D1533691870

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/eating-toward-immortality-1597909330

Recently, I've been watching lots of documentaries on Amazon Prime about the food we are consuming.

Frankly, we are killing ourselves with the processed food we are consuming.

Just look around at the epidemic of obesity, diabetes, heart disease.

Anyone else come to a realization that each of us needs to change our dietary habits?

You'll also like the documentary "Fed Up", narrated by Katie Couric.