The American Pieta a Monumental Bronze Sculpture Allegory

Avalon
This topic is 2051 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The real pieta was displayed at the 1964-1965 New York World Fair. I did not see it again in Rome.

Due respect, Avalon, the actual pieta is stunning, the fake is not

The Pieta was hilarious at the World's Fair. Surrounded by draperies of cobalt blue chiffon and celestial twinkle lights while viewers passed by on a moving sidewalk -- doesn't get more camp than that.

If, for some strange reason, we feel a need to glorify war (and most of our great generals, like Grant and Eisenhower, hated war) I would prefer pondering a monument that depicts teamwork and victory rather than one depicting the Statue of Liberty holding a dead Greek warrior:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/US/07/29/iwo.jima.citizenship/art.iwo.jima.afp.gi.jpg

The Pieta was hilarious at the World's Fair. Surrounded by draperies of cobalt blue chiffon and celestial twinkle lights while viewers passed by on a moving sidewalk -- doesn't get more camp than that.

There generally is a kitschiness to the Roman Catholic aesthetic. I grew up in the Anglican tradition, which has a more stately restrained aesthetic.

What!! It was a huge deal at the time, that the Pope had authorized exhibiting the work in the Vatican Pavillion at the world's fair. You must not have watched much TV.

There was even a TV special (Disney?) that I vividly remember showing how it was being packed in Rome for travel to New York, they used fine sand to fill/pack all the minisicule “folds” of the sculpture.

I had an “Auntie Mame” type that was taking me to the Worlds Fair and to visit family, so any TV, reading, research about the Fair pre-trip heightened my anticipation.

I never knew this.

You learn something new every day!

I was in college during the Fair. The site is where the U. S. Open Tennis Tournament is now placed, To be honest, I saw much more of actress Julie Newmar, who was also in line, than the few seconds with the Pieta.

There was even a TV special (Disney?) that I vividly remember showing how it was being packed in Rome for travel to New York, they used fine sand to fill/pack all the minisicule “folds” of the sculpture.

I had an “Auntie Mame” type that was taking me to the Worlds Fair and to visit family, so any TV, reading, research about the Fair pre-trip heightened my anticipation.

I was thinking of just that show when I made that post. They showed the container with the shipping label on it. It said from: His Holiness Paul VI.