I Have Ordered A Walker!

Avalon
This topic is 2058 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It was only $25 so I went for it. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. If this one does not work out I'll contact my doctor about a prescription and other options.

I also ordered two books. In another thread I mentioned "The Twelve Caesars" by the Roman historian Suetonius. Loeb classics has his works in two volumes. The Latin on one page and the English on the opposite page. He wrote a number of works but I thought only his "Twelve Caesars" was extant. But I was wrong. He wrote a biography of Pliny the Elder. The volume I bought has this bio plus eight of the Caesars beginning with Divus Claudius. Pliny died at Mount Vesuvius because of the eruption.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliny_the_Elder

This is the other book I ordered

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_Drawn_from_the_Very_Words_of_Holy_Scripture

It's about the Divine Right of Kings written during the reign of Louis XIV.

Edited by Avalon

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Avalon,

Congrats! I'm sure that even for just getting around your residence you will find great benefit. I've had two family members that resisted getting them for a while. My grandmother in particular didn't get one for more than two years after her physician recommended it. In addition to providing her stability when walking, it also allowed (forced) better posture and she realized that she was sleeping better at night.

Hopefully you will find many benefits.

Edited by sam.fitzpatrick

It was only $25 so I went for it. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. If this one does not work out I'll contact my doctor about a prescription and other options.

I also ordered two books. In another thread I mentioned "The Twelve Caesars" by the Roman historian Suetonius. Loeb classics has his works in two volumes. The Latin on one page and the English on the opposite page. He wrote a number of works but I thought only his "Twelve Caesars" was extant. But I was wrong. He wrote a biography of Pliny the Elder. The volume I bought has this bio plus eight of the Caesars beginning with Divus Claudius. Pliny died at Mount Vesuvius because of the eruption.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliny_the_Elder

This is the other book I ordered

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_Drawn_from_the_Very_Words_of_Holy_Scripture

It's about the Divine Right of Kings written during the reign of Louis XIV.

I’m glad you ordered a walker but why do you think we care what books you ordered.

*A walker footnote: The term “walker” was coined by John Fairchild of Wmagazine and Women's Wear Daily to describe Jerry Zipkin, who was Nancy Reagan's walker. From Zipkin's NY Times obituary:

His friends admitted that he could be sharp and even rude. Once, at a luncheon, a waiter asked if he could do anything for him. "You can remove the lady on my right," he said.

Avalon,

Congrats! I'm sure that even for just getting around your residence you will find great benefit. I've had two family members that resisted getting them for a while. My grandmother in particular didn't get one for more than two years after her physician recommended it. In addition to providing her stability when walking, it also allowed (forced) better poster and she realized that she was sleeping better at night.

Hopefully you will find many benefits.

My brain edits this to posture. Is it right?

Avalon, PLEASE talk to your doctor about getting a physical therapist to come to your home and train you both in use of the Walker and home exercises you can do with it. Physical therapy is leaps and bounds better than it was 20 years ago and you can probably see much more improvement in your mobility and strength than you think. Three years ago I could barely walk for ten minutes due to back issues. Today I can jog over half an hour. But the improvement was extremely gradual. Six months in, I didn't really feel much better. Even if you only improve one percent a week, in a year or two that will be substantial.

Avalon, PLEASE talk to your doctor about getting a physical therapist to come to your home and train you both in use of the Walker and home exercises you can do with it. Physical therapy is leaps and bounds better than it was 20 years ago and you can probably see much more improvement in your mobility and strength than you think. Three years ago I could barely walk for ten minutes due to back issues. Today I can jog over half an hour. But the improvement was extremely gradual. Six months in, I didn't really feel much better. Even if you only improve one percent a week, in a year or two that will be substantial.

Several weeks ago because of my bad right leg - not due to the arthritis in my knees - I asked about having a home health nurse come visit me. I had one after I was in the hospital in 1999 and 2006. He told me he couldn't do that until I came in and saw him. I don't really how I could do that. I even called the County Health Dept to see if they had nurses who made home visits; they didn't.

Several weeks ago because of my bad right leg - not due to the arthritis in my knees - I asked about having a home health nurse come visit me. I had one after I was in the hospital in 1999 and 2006. He told me he couldn't do that until I came in and saw him. I don't really how I could do that. I even called the County Health Dept to see if they had nurses who made home visits; they didn't.

I'm don't know what health care plan or insurance that you have but some plans offer transportation to doctor's office at no charge. Also explore what your community has to offer to help disabled people.

I'm don't know what health care plan or insurance that you have but some plans offer transportation to doctor's office at no charge. Also explore what your community has to offer to help disabled people.

All I have is Medicare A,B,D