What Did You Eat Today?

Avalon
This topic is 2076 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I hope you know that this is shit. I had to google jalapeno cheese. It seems like a processed cheese, ie no real cheese, with sugars and chemistry. Same for your canned soup dinner and I guess your breakfast meatballs came from a can too, so more sugar and chemistry. Do yourself a favour and stop eating things that come from cans ... Have you tried eggs for breakfast and a steak with a salad for dinner? You say you are diabetic, so go for zero carbs. I am not diabetic but have beent doing very low carb for ever. The food is delicious. Fresh salads, meats, fish, and delicious full fat French cheeses.

When I was seeing the dietitian she recommended that I not eat yellow cheese but rather white. So I got the jalapeno to add flavor. My last grocery store order I ordered @30 lbs of meat - roast, steak, hamburger; they are all in the freezer and I hadn't taken one out to defrost.

I do like the Jimmy Dean breakfasts and I placed an order for several last time but they didn't arrive but I wasn't charged.

The meatballs came in a bag.

The soup is just handy.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have reached an age (not that I haven't always lived as I'm about to say) where I absolutely refuse to eat healthy. My great niece is a vegan and whenever she comes to my place for dinner she brings her own food which, to make her happy, I always try - everything I have tried is either tasteless or awful. I eat as much red meat as I want and I don't always grill it. I love Mexican "milanesa" which is fried and I don't hesitate to prepare it. I love thinly sliced fried potatoes and I eat them whenever the mood strikes. I love most vegetables but I make a point of NEVER buying organic ones - I find them expensive for an inferior product. I love mixed green salads with "gallons" of homemade dressing. I don't have celiac so I am definitely not gluten free.

On the 24th of next month I will be 78. My diet hasn't killed me thus far and at this point in my life I'm not about to change it.

Edited by Epigonos

Guest europeanman
When I was seeing the dietitian she recommended that I not eat yellow cheese but rather white.

did your dietitian explain why? what she does not like about yellow cheese?

I eat as much red meat as I want and I don't always grill it.

I've been listening to Life Matters on ABC radio here (http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lifematters/) and found out that as we age we need more protein in our diet. (Look at Should we be changing our diets as we age on 19 Sep 18). So eat that meat, @Epigonos, unless you want to eat an elaborate combination of pulses.

Leaving aside the fact that eating heaps of beans and other pulses is great for gut health and fibre intake.

Yesterday for breakfast I had o.j., a banana, a bowl of rice chex cereal, and a cup of coffee. Lunch was a slice of Sbarro pizza. Afternoon snack was a little tuna salad. Dinner was a large Cobb salad with a glass of chardonnay, and a chocolate covered vanilla ice cream pop. Lots of water and Gatorade during the day.

This morning's breakfast was o.j., several strawberries, a cheese omelette with a side of pork sausage, and a cup of coffee.

I have reached an age (not that I haven't always lived as I'm about to say) where I absolutely refuse to eat healthy. My great niece is a vegan and whenever she comes to my place for dinner she brings her own food which, to make her happy, I always try - everything I have tried is either tasteless or awful. I eat as much red meat as I want and I don't always grill it. I love Mexican "milanesa" which is fried and I don't hesitate to prepare it. I love thinly sliced fried potatoes and I eat them whenever the mood strikes. I love most vegetables but I make a point of NEVER buying organic ones - I find them expensive for a inferior product. I love mixed green salads with "gallons" of homemade dressing. I don't have celiac so I am definitely not gluten free.

On the 24th of next month I will be 78. My diet hasn't killed me thus far and at this point in my life I'm not about to change it.

For those who want to try - there is the "impossible burger" - it is a vegan hamburger which tastes like beef, looks, like beef (red in the center), juicy like beef. Lance turned me onto it and it is great. Even serve it as a choice at FATBURGER! Just make sure not cooked more than medium rare.

yesterday - breakfast was yogurt with fresh fruit and iced green tea; lunch was a sub sandwich (large) from the deli and another iced green tea; dinner was a thick juicy steak on the BBQ with a baked potato/butter/sour cream. Dessert was watermelon - big hunk.

Since the original post was about yesterday, I ate--

Breakfast: A poached egg, an English muffin with cream cheese, coffee with 2% milk

Lunch: A pastrami on rye sandwich with lettuce, tomato, onion, and Russian dressing, sparkling water

Afternoon Snack: A banana

Dinner: Leftover rotisserie chicken (cold), broccoli, rice, a glass of red wine

Evening Snack: Popcorn, another glass of red wine

This morning I had an egg over-easy, whole wheat toast with butter, coffee with 2% milk

I haven't had lunch yet but it will be a sandwich, maybe tuna salad

Dinner tonight is probably Chinese food-- the place that delivers for free near me has delicious Szechuan string beans with shrimp, I'm leaning towards that.

I was seeing the dietitian not just for my diabetes but for a healthier diet in general.

I was taking a protein powder each day. It was chocolate; I'd mix it with water in the blender and I'd add a half a packet of sugar-free instant pudding for more flavor.

I can't have oatmeal now because of my diabetes.

Oh but you can have oatmeal for breakfast! I am a diabetic and I eat lower carb oatmeal.

Better Oats brand made by Post Cereals has 100 calories, 18 carbs per serving and 1g sugar. (available in stores, like Target, and amazon.com )

Proti Diet has 90 calories, 6 carbs per serving, and 0 sugar. (Available online at https://protifoods.com or amazon.com)

Also, when making oatmeal you should add protein to your mix, so when making instant oatmeal, add 1/4 cup of egg beaters or egg whites to the mix, and 2-3 tablespoons of natural, unprocessed peanut butter (go to Whole Foods and grind your own peanut butter!) to your mix.

Your eating habits are atrocious for a diabetic. You need the services of a registered diabetes nutritionist who will help you meal plan. Stop ordering Burger King and for God's sake, stop drinking diet soda, or adding "sugar-free" mixes to your water! The labels on these products are misleading and the chemicals used to make them, along with the artificial sweeteners will cause your blood sugars to spike. Start counting carbs, calories and add more fresh vegetables to your diet.

You misunderstand. I don't order from Burger King. I was just posting that home delivery was available. I didn't know that fast food places deliver. Only places that I knew that delivered were pizza places. I don't order that either.

When I became a diabetic my doctor told me not to eat THE BIG 5 - bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereal.

I also don't eat corn, peas, citrus fruit and grapes.

I order groceries online and my landlord brings them to me. I do not want to bother him too much. I usually order some apples and tomatoes but those don't last too long.

I think your diet is pretty okay!

I’d be happy to cook for you anytime

Thanks...I'm OK with it. The sugar part is much harder than the GF VgN part.

I've been GF/VgN for sometime (by necessity, not choice). Unfortunately, some of my issues persist...

I'm also blessed to live somewhere that has very good GF/VgN dining options.

If I'm in DFW, I'll call ;)

Instead of oatmeal, try using a mix of ground flaxseeds, chia seeds, stevia, and hot organic milk (or almond/coconut/cashew milk). You can add some sliced and toasted almonds and a sprinkling of cinnamon and raisins/cranberries.

I do like almonds. They are often on my shopping list.

For breakfast I had a toasted salt bagel with a schmear and chock full o'nuts coffee w/ half & half. No lunch. For dinner I'm having chicken fajitas. I found a great recipe for that on the web a few years ago. Not too difficult either.

I know salt bagels are death to someone with hbp but I hadn't had one in like 30 years when I saw my local supermarket started making them fresh in the store a few months ago and I couldn't resist. Yum!

Breakfast was at 12:30 pm today. I sleep late. Scrambled eggs (3 egg whites, 1 yoke), 2 turkey sausage links (no nitrates), sour dough bread toasted, with Smart Balance margarine, and a tall glass of fat free milk. You would think I'm trim, I'm not.

Thinking about dinner now, after a couple of glasses of wine (maybe why I'm not trim). I have a 1/2 slab of cooked ribs in the freezer. Thinking of warming them up and making some spaetzle with parsley, pepper, and grated parmigiano-reggiano and/or reduced fat lorraine cheese. Can't decide whether to toss some frozen green beans in the microwave, or have fruit for dessert. My fruit plate has 2 plums and 2 nectarines that will probably go bad in a couple of days. Think it will be fruit.

In order to ward of complete hunger before I start cooking, I might have a small piece of pumpernickel with a little turkey and a 1/2 a piece of cheese. I try to make snacks with a protein, crab, and a fat. I hear that's good.

Possibly, it’s one of those Earth Balance thingy. Notcreally labeled as margarine. Supposed to be “whipped” buttery spread lol

I use those spreads too. The fat profile is supposed to be very healthful, unlike conventional margarines. I tried a new one this week that I really like: Pureblends avocado oil buttery spread. 60 calories/tbsp. very tasty. I don't make a religion out of them though. Sometimes for variety's sake we use real butter for a week or two.

Nice change of pace. Wish you showed it more in recent post about teaching. o_O:)

I have reached an age (not that I haven't always lived as I'm about to say) where I absolutely refuse to eat healthy. My great niece is a vegan and whenever she comes to my place for dinner she brings her own food which, to make her happy, I always try - everything I have tried is either tasteless or awful. I eat as much red meat as I want and I don't always grill it. I love Mexican "milanesa" which is fried and I don't hesitate to prepare it. I love thinly sliced fried potatoes and I eat them whenever the mood strikes. I love most vegetables but I make a point of NEVER buying organic ones - I find them expensive for an inferior product. I love mixed green salads with "gallons" of homemade dressing. I don't have celiac so I am definitely not gluten free.

Well done!

D

Instead of oatmeal, try using a mix of ground flaxseeds, chia seeds, stevia, and hot organic milk (or almond/coconut/cashew milk). You can add some sliced and toasted almonds and a sprinkling of cinnamon and raisins/cranberries.

Sounds like an old SNL skit...