Q. Athletic Underwear, Sneakers, & Gym Gear

Chad Constantine
This topic is 2071 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think "athletic wear" is necessary for the gym.....I just wear an old, fairly loose cotton t-shirt (usually dark colored because of sweating) and some junky cargo shorts......I usually don't wear underwear at all (anywhere) because, in the warm climate where I live, it's just quicker, easier, cooler, and more comfortable......

gyms are not fashion shows.....don't feel obligated to buy fancy or trendy labels and special materials......they won't make the workout any easier....sorry if this wasn't what you wanted to hear!!....others may have different opinions!

I don't think "athletic wear" is necessary for the gym.....I just wear an old, fairly loose cotton t-shirt (usually dark colored because of sweating) and some junky cargo shorts......I usually don't wear underwear at all (anywhere) because, in the warm climate where I live, it's just quicker, easier, cooler, and more comfortable......

gyms are not fashion shows.....don't feel obligated to buy fancy or trendy labels and special materials......they won't make the workout any easier....sorry if this wasn't what you wanted to hear!!....others may have different opinions!

Oh no I don’t care about the look. I already just wear a regular t-shirt and basketball shorts. Never thought to try freeballing it. I’ll have to try it one day and see how it goes. But when I go to modell’s/Dicks they have all these leggings and other underwear that thought I may need for fall/winter.

don't know if I'd freeball with b-ball shorts, but the thicker cargo shorts I wear are more, uhh, forgiving?!......

if you're in a colder climate, I suppose some loose long sweat pants and a long-sleeve t-shirt may be necessary in the winter......of course, those stores are in the business to sell stuff and they have arrangements with specific manufacturers to display their stuff prominently....UnderArmour, Nike, etc......people feel like they gotta have the latest and greatest

How about a black jock and a black tank.

LOL - only half joking. :rolleyes: Gotta have those basketball shorts too.

(I have a thing for jocks - cotton, leather, colorful, etc.) :)

I was actually contemplating wearing a jock because these under amour suck. I am always having to adjust my nuts because they keep sticking to my leg.

Hey Guys,

I was hoping to get some recommendations for athletic wear since I just stated going to the gym. Especially what underwear is best for working out.

I try to be comfortable and practical, as opposed to stylish (and I call myself a gay man!?!?), so I wear running shorts, the type with a liner inside the shorts so you dont need underwear. Along with a tshirt that fits well - not too tight, not too loose, just right Goldilocks! :D

Was told long ago to avoid loose fitting clothing or items with laces or pockets like cargo pants as they can get caught in equipment. ;)

Post Script: I usually get my gym clothes at the outlet mall - why pay full price at Mo’s? Sometimes I can find good deals around public holidays on Macy’s website and it saves me the trip.

Edited by FrankR

I try to be comfortable and practical, as opposed to stylish (and I call myself a gay man!?!?), so I wear running shorts, the type with a liner inside the shorts so you dont need underwear. Along with a tshirt that fits well - not too tight, not too loose, just right Goldilocks! :D

Was told long ago to avoid loose fitting clothing or items with laces or pockets like cargo pants as they can get caught in equipment. ;)

Post Script: I usually get my gym clothes at the outlet mall - why pay full price at Mo’s? Sometimes I can find good deals around public holidays on Macy’s website and it saves me the trip.

Running shorts are those the short shorts/boxer looking pants?

Depending on the type of workout I'm doing, I either wear a jock (upper body days) or compression shorts or tights (lower body) under my gym shorts. Sometimes I'll wear just the tights without the shorts over them, especially on colder days in the autumn.

Are compression shorts the same thing as tights? Do they help support your back when doing your leg workouts with/without weights? Since you wear different items on different days do you also wear different foot wear?

Are compression shorts the same thing as tights? Do they help support your back on when doing leg workouts with weights? Since you wear different items on different days do you also wear different foot wear?

Compressions shorts are often made of similar material to the tights - I wear adidas tights and some adidas compression shorts and they are. No, they do nothing to support my back, but (a) I think they keep the blood flowing better and as such I don't cramp up and (b) I'm not flashing other in the gym when I'm doing leg presses.

I do change my footwear up, but it will admit that half the time it is fashion more than function, especially for the lifting days. However, for days that are more cardio focused I do have a pair of shoes I always wear. (I may wear that pair for lifting, but it is always the pair if I'm going to talk a 3-mile aerobic walk.)

I have to disagree. I have about ten gym outfits and they are all color coordinated: shirt, shorts, underwear and jock strap, and gym shoes. I wear them in rotation and even though I attend a straight gym people comment on my outfits, and do complain if my sneakers don't match. The well-groomed homosexual must make a fashion statement at the gym.

On a more serious note, I do not recommend freeballing it. Perfect way to wind up with a hernia. Most guys I know of whatever sexual orientation wear some form of boxer briefs under their shorts or sweats. I do wear a jock underneath as well because I have small hernias and don't want to make them worse.

Compressions shorts are often made of similar material to the tights - I wear adidas tights and some adidas compression shorts and they are. No, they do nothing to support my back, but (a) I think they keep the blood flowing better and as such I don't cramp up and (b) I'm not flashing other in the gym when I'm doing leg presses.

I do change my footwear up, but it will admit that half the time it is fashion more than function, especially for the lifting days. However, for days that are more cardio focused I do have a pair of shoes I always wear. (I may wear that pair for lifting, but it is always the pair if I'm going to talk a 3-mile aerobic walk.)

Do you happen to use resistance bands for your cardio or any of your other workouts? I was wondering if I should get some as well.

Yes - I won't claim to have the legs to pull it off, but they are damn comfortable!

At this point me neither but at least it will keep you junk cool and fresh. I guess it also has the added benefit of easy access :p:D.

I just bought some new workout gear. Some guy suggested it in an article I read he said if you have nice workout clothes that you enjoy wearing it's just one more thing that will help you get to the gym. It made sense. I bought some compression tights and compression shirts that look good on me. I wear the tights underneath a pair of shorts. And I do enjoy wearing them.

I have to disagree. I have about ten gym outfits and they are all color coordinated: shirt, shorts, underwear and jock strap, and gym shoes. I wear them in rotation and even though I attend a straight gym people comment on my outfits, and do complain if my sneakers don't match. The well-groomed homosexual must make a fashion statement at the gym.

On a more serious note, I do not recommend freeballing it. Perfect way to wind up with a hernia. Most guys I know of whatever sexual orientation wear some form of boxer briefs under their shorts or sweats. I do wear a jock underneath as well because I have small hernias and don't want to make them worse.

Since you have multiple outfits do you use different brands? Would you know a couple of sneaker brand/style that wont screw up ones feet and gives the most support? Also since you brought up hernias and wearing underwear what would be the best style to wear to prevent hernias?

I just bought some new workout gear. Some guy suggested it in an article I read he said if you have nice workout clothes that you enjoy wearing it's just one more thing that will help you get to the gym. It made sense. I bought some compression tights and compression shirts that look good on me. I wear the tights underneath a pair of shorts. And I do enjoy wearing them.

Do you remember what the name of the article was or what magazine you were reading it from? Are there any sites or magazines you would recommend that I view?

Do you happen to use resistance bands for your cardio or any of your other workouts? I was wondering if I should get some as well.

At this point me neither but at least it will keep you junk cool and fresh. I guess it also has the added benefit of easy access :p:D.

I use resistance bands a fair amount. I use them when I do goblet squats. They stabilize the knees and make the movement more challenging. I also use the for sidestepping, which really helps if your hips and low back get sore from sitting a lot.

Do you remember what the name of the article was or what magazine you were reading it from? Are there any sites or magazines you would recommend that I view?

I watch a lot of videos on youtube. I really like the Atheleanx guy, Jeff. I also like all the content from Gold Medal Bodies. The fitness magazine I like most is MensFitness. It's a general fitness magazine, but it has a strong bodybuilding orientation.

I use resistance bands a fair amount. I use them when I do goblet squats. They stabilize the knees and make the movement more challenging. I also use the for sidestepping, which really helps if your hips and low back get sore from sitting a lot.

:eek:Goblet Squats you are amazing. Then I definitely need to get some bands . Are there any other websites that you know/trust like GMB & Atheleanx that show different stretches/exercises to do at the gym when your not seeing your trainer?

:eek:Goblet Squats you are amazing. Then I definitely need to get some bands . Are there any other websites that you know/trust like GMB & Atheleanx that show different stretches/exercises to do at the gym when your not seeing your trainer?

I work with a fitness coach. He designs my workouts and my meal plans and I execute. Costs a lot less than personal training. If I have questions, I text him. He always answers right away. It's a great relationship.

I work with a fitness coach. He designs my workouts and my meal plans and I execute. Costs a lot less than personal training. If I have questions, I text him. He always answers right away. It's a great relationship.

What is the difference between a fitness coach and a personal trainer? How did you find him? Does that mean your apart of an athletic team?

What is the difference between a fitness coach and a personal trainer? How did you find him? Does that mean your apart of an athletic team?

You don't work one-on-one with a coach. They tell you what to do and you do it. A personal trainer spends lots of face time with you, teaching you about fitness and health. If you don't know much about fitness and working out, you should work with a personal trainer until you have learned some of the fine points about the right way to work out. I am already knowledgeable about fitness and bodybuilding so I don't need the intensive assistance that a personal trainer provides. For me, a coach that I like and respect is a good solution.

In a way, the relationship with the coach is actually more important than the relationship with a personal trainer. In order to get the result you're expecting from the coaching, you have to do what your coach says to do- down to the letter. If you can't or won't do that, then the coaching is going to be a waste of time and money. I love this guy because I'm willing to do everything he tells me to do, so I get amazing results.

Edited by Rudynate