Do you buy clothes online or in person?

FreshFluff
This topic is 2119 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I used to do buy online occasionally, but over the past few months, I got on a real ordering kick. I landed some really nice items from brands I had never heard of. It’s nice not to have to go to different stores, look through racks, ask clerks if they have other sizes in the back, etc.

Most retailers offer free returns and sometimes include a return label in the original package. As long as you're organized about returning stuff in time, you’re basically using your home as a dressing room.

Are you into buying online or do you like the in-store experience?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only started to buy online over the past couple of years. Prior to that I would spend way too much money at places that one is destined to. So I try to stay in my house and sin. Actually I figured out that I was not about to attract who I probably thought I might by spending all my clothing money in stores and could get a lot more sin online and spend a small amount on clothes there also.

I've had bad luck occasionally with sizes. I ordered a couple flannel shirts in my (very XXX size) - one I could not even come close to getting on, and gave to my roommate who wears a Medium; it is just slightly large on him. The other I could get on but really can't button without it risking a hull breach, so I sometimes wear it unbuttoned over a t-shirt. I have a pair of very yoga-y pants coming and I fear it's going to be the same size with the story - didn't realize until I'd finished the purchase it's coming from China, where the shirt I gave away came from.

If I can't try it on, I don't buy it.

Let's take shoes, for example. Depending on who makes the shoes, for example, I wear anything from a 10 1/2 to a 12 1/2 (US measurements). Who wants to get a pair of shoes that don't fit and have to go through the trouble of trying to return them and get the correct size?

The same rule would go with trousers....who wants to be strangled at the waist?

I've had bad luck occasionally with sizes. I ordered a couple flannel shirts in my (very XXX size) - one I could not even come close to getting on, and gave to my roommate who wears a Medium; it is just slightly large on him. The other I could get on but really can't button without it risking a hull breach, so I sometimes wear it unbuttoned over a t-shirt. I have a pair of very yoga-y pants coming and I fear it's going to be the same size with the story - didn't realize until I'd finished the purchase it's coming from China, where the shirt I gave away came from.

Let's take shoes, for example. Depending on who makes the shoes, for example, I wear anything from a 10 1/2 to a 12 1/2 (US measurements). Who wants to get a pair of shoes that don't fit and have to go through the trouble of trying to return them and get the correct size?

This is why I only buy from sites/retailers that offer a 30 day or more hassle-free return policy. You can check sizing, quality, and so on and send it back if it doesn't work.

One site is having a sale now, but with no returns on discounted items. Most of the sale items aren't moving because people won't risk $100+.

I used to do buy online occasionally, but over the past few months, I got on a real ordering kick. I landed some really nice items from brands I had never heard of. It’s nice not to have to go to different stores, look through racks, ask clerks if they have other sizes in the back, etc.

Most retailers offer free returns and sometimes include a return label in the original package. As long as you're organized about returning stuff in time, you’re basically using your home as a dressing room.

Are you into buying online or do you like the in-store experience?

Yes, more and more. Especially with generous/easy return policy. My returns to Amazon get credited as soon as I drop the return at UPS drop off...fast and easy.

Yes, more and more. Especially with generous/easy return policy. My returns to Amazon get credited as soon as I drop the return at UPS drop off...fast and easy.

Amazon will also contact UPS for you and arrange for them to pick up your return package(s) from the address it was originally shipped to. When in doubt, order items one size smaller or larger and return the one that doesn’t fit.

Amazon will also contact UPS for you and arrange for them to pick up your return package(s) from the address it was originally shipped to. When in doubt, order items one size smaller or larger and return the one that doesn’t fit.

RE: pickup “adult must be present” is usually the disclaimer? Not sure if that’s enforced?

I print the UPS label out, slap it on and there are no less than 3 drop off points around my daily work and errand routes. So drop off works for me.

I do both. How hard is it to get a polo shirt that fits?

I actually often have trouble finding jeans or trousers in stores since most retailers only carry 29, 30, and 31” inseams. Ordering online lets me get what I need.

I’ll still go to a store for a suit, but I’ll admit some part of the attraction is having a cute salesman up close and personal measuring me because curiously I can never remember my size in those situations. ;)

Prefer buying in a store. I feel I have to try everything on to make sure it fits. Several times have been fooled - tried one on that fit perfect and grabbed a couple more, same size, only to find out when I got home that the ones I didn't try on were too big or too small or just fit irregularly. Could be mis-labeling or shoddy workmanship or both.

I've bought two pairs of Frye boots online and they fit perfectly - most comfortable footwear I have ever worn.

Both. More likely to order clothes online if I bought something similar in a store and know the sizing/fit. Household items I'll often buy online because it's so convenient to have them waiting at my door after work. I recently moved and made a flurry of Amazon purchases - so many I lost track of what was coming. That really was like Xmas.

I don't miss the mall or the rude clerks.