Do You Like Pickle Juice?

Avalon
This topic is 2126 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do the same thing Avalon!

I used to be a Claussen fan, but then tried McClure garlic and dill pickles. They're pricey at $9 a jar, but well worth it. It is the only brand that I'll eat now. You should give them a try. They also make a bloody mary mix that is pretty darn good too!!

I love pickles too. On my way to Woodbury Commons, there is a farmstand that sells sweet pickles from NJ, I always pick up a few containers. So delicious. The pickle juice makes a great brine for chicken. I looked up the brand and it is called Natural Harvest.. there are 2 stores in manhattan that sell them: Associated Supermarket (255 west 14th) and Big Apple Meat Market (573 9th Ave).

Edited by cany10011

I do the same thing Avalon!

I used to be a Claussen fan, but then tried McClure garlic and dill pickles. They're pricey at $9 a jar, but well worth it. It is the only brand that I'll eat now. You should give them a try. They also make a bloody mary mix that is pretty darn good too!!

I've been making a grocery list online. I just checked the store. They don't have McClures.

Foods like pickles and sauerkraut are good for the gut.

I LOVE sauerkraut juice!

Love me some sauerkraut too!!!! Again, I find McClure brand the best! I can just sit and eat it by itself.

Sorry guys I can't stand sauerkraut.

Bubby's Sauerkraut is the BEST - it is crispy and not soggy like a lot of the others and the juice is exceptional. I drink the juice and then add some water to replace and let it sit at least a week. Can only do once or twice before the flavor is lost.

You can also add apple juice to the sauerkraut and wait about 5-6 days while it re-ferments.

Edited by Funguy

OMG, I thought I was the only one (pickle juice drinker, that is)! I like dill pickles, and I save the juice when I finish a bottle of them, because someone told me the juice is good for preventing muscle cramps. I didn't really believe her, but it was a good excuse for having the juice in the refrigerator if someone questioned me.

I have a local Croatian butcher who makes his own sauerkraut with pork spare-riblets, a classic Yugoslav/Croatian recipe. It a meal all by itself.

We had that for dinner frequently when I was a kid. My father usually made it. He cut the ribs into sections, put them in a dutch oven, covered them with the sauerkraut and braised until the meat was ready to come off the bones. Nothing else added. It was really good.

I do! I don't know if it has any health benefits but once the pickles are gone I keep the jar with the juice. I just take a sip or two sometimes when I'm in the kitchen. I don't down it all at one sitting.

I buy Claussen Kosher dill pickle spears.

Although I've been known to take a sip of pickle brine, my favorite is olive brine.

I have a local Croatian butcher who makes his own sauerkraut with pork spare-riblets, a classic Yugoslav/Croatian recipe. It a meal all by itself.

We had that for dinner frequently when I was a kid. My father usually made it. He cut the ribs into sections, put them in a dutch oven, covered them with the sauerkraut and braised until the meat was ready to come off the bones. Nothing else added. It was really good.

My mother occasionally made spare-ribs and sauerkraut, but she often made pork neck bones and sauerkraut. She would season with a bay leaf and whole allspice and peppercorn. We LOVED it!!

The spare-rib and neck bone dishes are also Polish dishes.

My mother used to can dill pickles, bread & butter pickles, and pickled beets. As a kid I used to kid her for making them herself rather than simply buying them at the market. When she reached about 80 she stopped making them. I missed the flavors so much that I started canning them myself. She would come over to my place and keep me company while I worked kidding me the whole time about making them myself rather than simply buying them at the market. She has been gone now for over twenty years but every year I still can dill pickles, bread & butter pickles, and pickled beets -- in my head I can still hear her laughing at me.

My dad and his parents came for Slovenia. My grandfather made his own sauerkraut which was to die for. Unfortunately my grandparents lived in Rock Springs, Wyoming and I was never around them enough to learn how to make it. He also used to make cracklings which he preserved in pork fat. My grandmother would make yeast bread, stretch it out thinly in a jellyroll pan and spread the crackling/pork fat mixture all over it and bake it until golden. It was absolutely wonderful.

My mother also used to make her own bread & butter pickles, as well as mustard pickle. We always had jars of them stored in the basement. I have never eaten the commercial variety (if they exist).

My grandmother made bread and butter pickles. She used small pickling cucumbers and sliced them paper thin. They only came out at holidays. She even had a special dish with a little gold fork that she served them in

OMG, I thought I was the only one (pickle juice drinker, that is)! I like dill pickles, and I save the juice when I finish a bottle of them, because someone told me the juice is good for preventing muscle cramps. I didn't really believe her, but it was a good excuse for having the juice in the refrigerator if someone questioned me.

It's high in Potassium - good for muscle cramps! Now you can believe her.