Five alternative terms you can use instead of LGBT

Avalon
This topic is 2128 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a kid in the 60's, I grew up in a neighborhood with a ton of kids. Looking back, I remember more of them being male than female. I first thought queer meant you were different, and if you were perceived to be different, some kid wanted to beat you up. Just the nature of childhood, at least in my neighborhood.

As I got a little older, and boy girl things began to happen, those not terribly interested in girls were made fun of. Called queer or a sissy, so I'm on the fence about using "queer". It's a tough question. Not all are totally hetero, or homo sexual, and some have both same and opposite sexual relationships in their lifetime.

If that is how you describe yourself, that's fine, but the question is broader than that. I describe myself as gay, but that's about me, not the community. Bi, trans and intersex people are not, by definition, homosexual (although they may also use that label). There is a debate whether LGBT, LGBTI or LGBT+ is a single community, but that is a deflection. They suffer types of discrimination and oppression that are similar so it helps to make common purpose. I think the important thing is to recognise that whether you include the I or the + or the other letters is not a deliberate act of exclusion of the letters you omit, it`s linguistic economy.

There is a debate whether LGBT, LGBTI or LGBT+ is a single community, but that is a deflection. They suffer types of discrimination and oppression that are similar so it helps to make common purpose.

I think this is important. A hobbyist magazine I read recently ran a story about a school that is "woman and trans" friendly and got some blowback in the letter column lecturing about how the mag's demographic didn't want to hear about it. The managing editor made a very good and brave response. I'm not trans, but wrote my once-a-decade letter to express solidarity.

"Yes, we must indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we will all hang seperately"--Ben Franklin

I think this is important. A hobbyist magazine I read recently ran a story about a school that is "woman and trans" friendly and got some blowback in the letter column lecturing about how the mag's demographic didn't want to hear about it. The managing editor made a very good and brave response. I'm not trans, but wrote my once-a-decade letter to express solidarity.

"Yes, we must indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we will all hang seperately"--Ben Franklin

If it’s a hobbyist magazine, the mag’s demographic is by definition queer. :rolleyes:

My choice of the word "homosexual" is just a personal one for me alone. When I was young and trying to figure what I was that was the first word I came across and it fit me.

For the entire community - I'm not sure what all that includes - what about "Non Straight" or "Non Het"? NS, NH, but the latter might be confused with the abbreviation for New Hampshire.

Fag. Oh and I have no time to spell out the full alphabet. LGBT is more than enough.

Hugs,

Greg

The last I was told it's at least up to LGBTBNB but I think that misses a couple.

Just because I'm queer doesn't mean I'm happy or gay all the time. (some places we're called "Happys"). Awful stereotype. We need to get away from that word.

I have NEVER liked and still don't like being identified as queer. I equate queer as to being odd or strange and I do NOT consider myself odd or strange.

My first choice would be gay. I equate gay as to being happy or joyful and I do consider myself as generally happy and joyful.

My second choice would be fag. I like its in you face connotation. This is what I am and if you don't like it or have a problem with it fuck you!!!

My choice of the word "homosexual" is just a personal one for me alone. When I was young and trying to figure what I was that was the first word I came across and it fit me.

For the entire community - I'm not sure what all that includes - what about "Non Straight" or "Non Het"? NS, NH, but the latter might be confused with the abbreviation for New Hampshire.

Non-straight? Non-het? Jeez. It would be helpful not to use “straight” or “het” as the human norm, from which you deviate, which is what your ridiculous suggestion does. Your self-loathing is both revealing and sad.

Non-straight? Non-het? Jeez. It would be helpful not to use “straight” or “het” as the human norm, from which you deviate, which is what your ridiculous suggestion does. Your self-loathing is both revealing and sad.

I get your point. Homosexuality is not an alternative. It is normal and natural just as being left handed is for some people.