Tijuana

GregM
This topic is 2128 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok we've went waaaaay off topic. 1. I dont care about 20 or 30 yrs ago. That isn't within the last year or two. 2. LA south central or whatever is no longer part of Mexico and is not in the area and I am not visiting the LA area. Idk how this thread jumped the shark. Either stay on topic, keep it recent or don't reply. I dont mean to sound rude but just about none of the posts are relevant.

Hugs,

Greg

Luckily I haz passport. Next question, will I be allowed back into the country? Hahaha jk.

Hugs,

Greg

And hopefully back on topic... and there’s always the risk of not being allowed back... HAHAHA!

Well when I was there for one fleeting moment I did not think that I would be allowed back! As we were returning to the US the girl in front of me had forged documents and when she presented them to the agent she instantly knew that he realized that they were fake so she started to run. Amusingly, like clockwork two very large guys approached her from behind and each placed their hands under her arm pits so she was essentially lifted off the ground and was running in mid air. It was indeed quite a sight! I was next in line... but with a genuine passport in hand there were no issues... but for one fleeting moment I did think, “What if?!”

As for eating anything there I did not feel comfortable and seeing signs in windows of restaurants stating “rated AAA1 by board of health” or some such sign did not inspire confidence. I was not in any mood to experience Montazuma’s revenge! I would feel more comfortable getting a drink in a bar as opposed to eating anything. Still, a fun afternoon of shopping. Lots of fake Rolex watches, but a bit pricey compared to what you can buy on the street in the US. Lots of souvenirs obviously. Some classier shops plus street urchins selling trinkets. Pharmacies. If back in the San Diego area I would do it again.

BTW it was easy to take the trolley from San Diego to San Ysidro. It is a short walk to the border from there. After crossing the border it’s then a bit of a walk to down town Tijuana, about 20-30 minutes total if I recall correctly depending on how leisurely you stroll.

Enjoy.

Edited by whipped guy

Eating in Tijuana shouldn't be a problem. At one time Tijuana and San Diego shared the same water system and I assume they still do. The vast majority of the vegetables sold in Southern California supermarkets come directly from the fields of northern Baja California. I wouldn't think twice about eating at Caesars.

Eating in Tijuana shouldn't be a problem. At one time Tijuana and San Diego shared the same water system and I assume they still do. The vast majority of the vegetables sold in Southern California supermarkets come directly from the fields of northern Baja California. I wouldn't think twice about eating at Caesars.

I’d go to TJ, I’d eat at Caesars and I’ve eaten at many a taco truck in TJ, Ensenada, and dozens of others in Baja and coastal Mainland Mexico.

Many of us apparently have different levels of confidence in our risk assesment (and differences in iron stomachs?;))

I’d go to TJ, I’d eat at Caesars and I’ve eaten at many a taco truck in TJ, Ensenada, and dozens of others in Baja and coastal Mainland Mexico.

Many of us apparently have different levels of confidence in our risk assesment (and differences in iron stomachs?;))

Imma prob stock up on the imodium. I usually need to anyways when traveling. The different quality of water sometimes makes my tummy angry

Hugs,

Greg

Imma prob stock up on the imodium. I usually need to anyways when traveling. The different quality of water sometimes makes my tummy angry

Hugs,

Greg

Bottled water....and check that you’re getting ice in your drinks from bags that state “aqua purificada” not from an ice machine

Both times I visited Tijuana, I had lunch. Both times it was in decent sit-down restaurants. I didn't get sick, although I was fearful of it.

Sanborns was founded in 1903 by brothers Walter and Frank Sanborn. An apostrophe is not used in the name because there is no possessive apostrophe in Spanish. They wanted to create a restaurant where North Americans could eat safely -- they succeeded. The chain is currently a part of the Grupo Carso conglomerate which is owned by Carlos Slims, one of the richest men in the world.

If while in Tijuana, or any other Mexican city where there is a branch, you are looking for decent American coffee shop style food you will love Sanborns. Frankly I have never liked the chain as I don't travel to Mexico to eat in a place like Denny's. If you are looking for something more local Caesars would probably be a better choice.

Sanborns was founded in 1903 by brothers Walter and Frank Sanborn. An apostrophe is not used in the name because there is no possessive apostrophe in Spanish. They wanted to create a restaurant where North Americans could eat safely -- they succeeded. The chain is currently a part of the Grupo Carso conglomerate which is owned by Carlos Slims, one of the richest men in the world.

If while in Tijuana, or any other Mexican city where there is a branch, you are looking for decent American coffee shop style food you will love Sanborns. Frankly I have never liked the chain as I don't travel to Mexico to eat in a place like Denny's. If you are looking for something more local Caesars would probably be a better choice.

I had a friend who would follow me into any restaurant or taco cart...but insisted on daily breakfast at Sanborns. Lol?

I'd put Sanborns several steps above Denny's. The servers starched long Mexican dresses, the Mexican hacienda motif, the enormous breakfast and salad bars, and the freshness of the food and juices. It's convenient having a large drug store and cosmetics store combined with it. Whenever I'm in a city with Sanborns close, I know that's where I'll be a lot, especially for breakfast.

I'd advise not to go alone. And stay in the main part of town. Maybe wear a fanny pack to keep your wallet and valuables in. And park on the US side and take a cab over. But if you do drive remember that US insurance is no good in Mexico. There are insurance companies on the US side where you can buy coverage. Do not drink the tap water. Montezuma's revenge. Buy bottled water or sodas. Do not give to beggars; it is a scam.

I'd advise not to go alone. And stay in the main part of town. Maybe wear a fanny pack to keep your wallet and valuables in. And park on the US side and take a cab over. But if you do drive remember that US insurance is no good in Mexico. There are insurance companies on the US side where you can buy coverage. Do not drink the tap water. Montezuma's revenge. Buy bottled water or sodas. Do not give to beggars; it is a scam.

I'm going solo. As far as I know I'm the only one in my family with a passport. I know all abt the water as I've been to Mexico twice before, before one needed stupid government permission. I dont drive four wheels at all so that's not an issue for me. It's safer for everyone if I dont, trust me lol.

Hugs,

Greg

I'm going solo. As far as I know I'm the only one in my family with a passport. I know all abt the water as I've been to Mexico twice before, before one needed stupid government permission. I dont drive four wheels at all so that's not an issue for me. It's safer for everyone if I dont, trust me lol.

Hugs,

Greg

I hope you have a good safe time and please report back and share your experiences.

Omg, I read some of the “horror” stories and can’t help but to laugh. People really need to have critical/good judgement and not just “absorb” everything the media blurbs out.

Tijuana is like any city. Use common sense and you’ll have a great time! It’s so much fun, great food, drinks and a great time. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me for suggestions.