How much is your local newspaper?

This topic is 1969 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On Monday, I went to buy a copy of the SF Chronicle, and was surprised to hear "$2.18"! I guess the price just increased from $1.50 to $2 plus tax--up by a full third! I guess I won't be buying the newspaper any more. Are they charging that much in other cities? I'm not sure how wise that price increase was. They get more per customer, but I'm guessing a lot of people such as myself are just going to stop buying the paper. Any of you still buying newspapers? How much? Frankly, I get most of my news from other sources, and was buying it mostly for the comics and Miss Manners' column...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Monday, I went to buy a copy of the SF Chronicle, and was surprised to hear "$2.18"! I guess the price just increased from $1.50 to $2 plus tax--up by a full third! I guess I won't be buying the newspaper any more. Are they charging that much in other cities? I'm not sure how wise that price increase was. They get more per customer, but I'm guessing a lot of people such as myself are just going to stop buying the paper. Any of you still buying newspapers? How much? Frankly, I get most of my news from other sources, and was buying it mostly for the comics and Miss Manners' column...

It really depends on whether you are talking an actual paper copy or the digital version (or both)!

I get the paper version of the “failing New York Times” - $65 a month for a daily paper (Monday to Sunday). That also gets you online/digital access (handy when I am traveling). Online/digital only with no physical paper at your door is $16 a month.

I have no idea what they would charge at a newsstand... I believe there is a suggested price listed on the front page but I dont have mine handy to check.

Edited by FrankR

On the newsstand, our local paper, The Desert Sun, costs $2, and the Los Angeles Times costs $2.75. However, we have both delivered early each morning, because my spouse likes to cut out the crosswords and work on them during the day. I have a digital subscription to the New York Times, for $15/mo.

I have friends who have four papers delivered each morning. The WSJ for business stuff, the [failed] NYTimes for international and national news and true long form journalism, the Chicago Trib for local news, and the Sun Times for the sports.

I've not bought a newspaper since 2000 when my father was in the nursing home. I'd visit him almost everyday and he liked to read it. I was just about to subscribe to it and have it delivered to the nursing home but then he died.

+1 for visiting your dad often.

Edited by WilliamM

The Courier-Journal in Louisville is $28 a month (daily home delivery). Not bad except for one fact: half its news comes from other Gannett sources such as The Cincinnati Enquirer and The Indianapolis Star. I really don't care to read about a new dorm opening at the University of Cincinnati or that there was a traffic wreck on 465 in Castleton, Indy. The Sunday "Entertainment Section" now consists of four pages, half of which are ads. Being Louisville, the "Sports Section' is usually substantial, but you can get the scores off the Internet. Having canceled my subscription a few months ago, the only part of the Courier that I miss is Rex Morgan, MD, which I have read for years.

Edited by JayCeeKy

I love reading an actual paper. Don't like the electronic paper. It's my way to disconnect from electronic media. I get the local suburban paper delivered daily, and read it after breakfast every morning. Have no clue what it costs to buy in store, but they always have a special for around $25 for 10 weeks. I also get the Sunday Chicago Tribune delivered, and I just renewed it for about $32 for delivery through early December. It came with an electronic daily version I never read. I think the Trib is $4 a copy if you buy it in the store.

On rare occasions, I admit to reading online the Detroit Free Press, and Maui News, but don't subscribe.

I subscribed to the L.A. Times for nearly 50 years. It was delivered 7 days a week. The Times went through so many reductions in staff, and coverage to make me consider canceling. When they changed the agency doing my home delivery, and my paper began arriving everywhere except my doorstep (if it arrived at all) I finally cancelled. After a year of no paper, I tried the online version of the L.A. Times. I am enjoying it. It looks just like the physical paper. You can scan each page and if you want read an article in depth, you tap on it and boom, you have it enlarged with all the attendant images in a gallery. I’ve become very accustomed to reading on my iPad so it really feels perfectly normal. I got a deal for a one month trial for $.99 for the first month and $4.99 a month after that. I am also pleased that I don’t have to recycle all the paper.

Edited by body2body

Newspaper costs were always subsidized by ad revenue - with dramatically fewer people buying newspapers, the rates they can charge for ads dropped and the cost of the newspaper gets reflected in the newsstand price. It's usually significantly cheaper to have home delivery, even with tipping the carrier.

Newspaper costs were always subsidized by ad revenue - with dramatically fewer people buying newspapers, the rates they can charge for ads dropped and the cost of the newspaper gets reflected in the newsstand price. It's usually significantly cheaper to have home delivery, even with tipping the carrier.

And things like Craig’s list completed killed the classifieds. Like overnight. Gone.

Home delivery of The Desert Sun costs a couple dollars more than buying it every day on the newsstand. I used to love reading the Sunday NY Times, but delivery was costing me $90/mo; then I learned I could get it digitally for $15/mo.

Home delivery of The Desert Sun costs a couple dollars more than buying it every day on the newsstand. I used to love reading the Sunday NY Times, but delivery was costing me $90/mo; then I learned I could get it digitally for $15/mo.

Call the NYT subscription number and ask for "promotion rate"...we have home delivery including digital service for $44.00 every 6 weeks...that is a 6 month deal...The NYT has all sorts of promo rates..you need to ask....If you are a new subscriber the rate is even lower..

https://www.nytimes.com/subscription/games/lp897H9.html?campaignId=4YLLF&msclkid=349fc03cd7c01f6d94059b7ba914acbe&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=USA_CORE_BAU_NYTI_BSN_RLSAX_BRA_PRM&utm_term=nyt&utm_content=Brand%20Tier%202&dclid=CKHcsfj6mdwCFdAhhwodg2QIWQ

same for me, with the forum. I started with just checking out the gallery, once I started reading the other forums I read EVERYTHING, and now I just read what catches my eye. The the "Mark Forums Read" feature makes it much easier to manage. I've thought about asking a "What makes you click on a particular forum entry?" post, but never was sufficiently motivated.

Call the NYT subscription number and ask for "promotion rate"...we have home delivery including digital service for $44.00 every 6 weeks...that is a 6 month deal...The NYT has all sorts of promo rates..you need to ask....If you are a new subscriber the rate is even lower..

Same here. At the end of my special price, new bill for local paper goes up 2x or more. I just call and cancel, and wada'ya know, they have a special.

It's $17. 55 per month and comes every morning in a plastic bag on my patio before 6 am. It's now printed 160 miles away, half the staff is gone (or 160 miles away) and nothing that happens after 5 pm appears the next day. There is now one page of classified. The death notices now only have name, age, city, date of death, and funeral home...and the print is so small you need a magnifying glass to read. At least the comics and puzzles still take up two pages. They can't find much to write about - the front page today has a story about a prominent family suing each about an inheritance of an $800,000 ranch. I wish it still had Miss Manners -but she's been gone for over 20 years.

It's $17. 55 per month and comes every morning in a plastic bag on my patio before 6 am. It's now printed 160 miles away, half the staff is gone (or 160 miles away) and nothing that happens after 5 pm appears the next day. There is now one page of classified. The death notices now only have name, age, city, date of death, and funeral home...and the print is so small you need a magnifying glass to read. At least the comics and puzzles still take up two pages. They can't find much to write about - the front page today has a story about a prominent family suing each about an inheritance of an $800,000 ranch. I wish it still had Miss Manners -but she's been gone for over 20 years.

The Detroit Free Press carries Miss Manners, but they have been very erratic about carrying any of the advice columnists in the past few months. I've written the paper a few times about hoping to see Miss Manners on a more regular basis, always very politely of course.