10 year rule - do you subscribe to it?

FrankR
This topic is 2146 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was talking with a buddy yesterday, about replacing some of my home furnishings (mattress no longer in prime condition, leather couch showing its age, floor lamps starting to look ratty) and he mentioned the “10 year rule”. Apparently there is a rule that most soft furnishings need to be replaced about every 10 years, you should not expect their lifespan to exceed that... As gay men are considered experts when it comes to the 4 F’s, I figured this is the right crowd to ask: is that really a rule or did he just make it up? :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you buy ikea, I’d say most likely you will want your furniture replaced within 10 years, but if you spend some serious money, a table and set of chair can last 200 years.

In Britain there is an insult in the upper classes: “He move into his new house with his new wife, and he had to buy all his furniture!”

The implied dis, is that he was not really aristocracy, because in the aristocracy, furniture gets passed along generation after generation, you inherit it, you don’t buy it.

I wouldn't keep a traditional mattress for longer than 10 years, but I suspect my memory foam mattress may last longer than that. Well used sofas, couches and chairs do tend to wear out within a decade, but if they're well made it should always be possible to replace worn out components rather than junking the whole thing. Good carpets should last longer than a decade, but that really depends on traffic.

If you buy ikea, I’d say most likely you will want your furniture replaced within 10 years, but if you spend some serious money, a table and set of chair can last 200 years.

In Britain there is an insult in the upper classes: “He move into his new house with his new wife, and he had to buy all his furniture!”

The implied dis, is that he was not really aristocracy, because in the aristocracy, furniture gets passed along generation after generation, you inherit it, you don’t buy it.

If you bought an Ikea couch, it may as well be the 2 year rule.

I was talking with a buddy yesterday, about replacing some of my home furnishings (mattress no longer in prime condition, leather couch showing its age, floor lamps starting to look ratty) and he mentioned the “10 year rule”. Apparently there is a rule that most soft furnishings need to be replaced about every 10 years, you should not expect their lifespan to exceed that... As gay men are considered experts when it comes to the 4 F’s, I figured this is the right crowd to ask: is that really a rule or did he just make it up? :)

I suppose it's a good rule if you want your furniture to always look brand new.

Since different types of "furniture" last different times, I'm sure he was talking about style.

Especially with more modern stuff it's nice to swap out the way you would art.

But even with Mid-Century or older styles, it's nice to "freshen up." Target, who's become a major player in furniture, plays on this "freshen-up" a lot successfully. Honestly, no matter how nice, the same stuff starts looking boring after many years and changing your physical environment does help mentally.

Look at me.

I think the useful life of a mattress my be about ten years. Homes with children are hard on furniture, but otherwise, how would you wear it out after only ten years?

Well, the lamp shades are linen so I am not surprised that they need to be replaced. Leather couch gets a lot of ... well ass traffic - very comfortable. :D

This next go round, buy furniture the way you would buy art. Buy quality, but buy what you love...

If you are suggesting that in my first go round I focused too much on price, appearance and utility, you are absolutely correct!! :)

Edited by FrankR

I suppose it's a good rule if you want your furniture to always look brand new.

I agree with your supposition. For me, it’s not really about making sure they look prestine, but rather making sure they don’t look or feel worn out... ;)

Well, the lamp shades are linen so I am not surprised that they need to be replaced. Leather couch gets a lot of ... well ass traffic - very comfortable. :D

Fabric lampshades have sort of a lifespan. We have a few silk lampshades. One is white, and looks fine. But another is black and long ago faded to gray from sun exposure. But the fabric is still strong and in good condition.

Some of us may use our mattress more vigorously than others. Should the mattress be the 6-10 year rule? :D

I think that mattresses should be outside any furniture rule (if there is one). It is my understanding that people generally adopt a pattern of sleep and pick a place to sleep each night. Hence that portion of the bed gets worn down/out quicker than the others and doesn't support your body as it needs to be. Of course, you should always rotate and flip your mattress if that is possible because it does not wear out as often. This contrasts with furniture which you an consciously rotate by sitting in a different area.

Sofas and the like can be reupholstered. Often that is the issue rather than springs and padding that are worn out.

One of my favorite pieces of furniture is our living room sofa, which we bought in 1972. When we moved to CA in 2004, we had the frame and stuffing renovated, but the upholstery (a Belgian fabric that has worn like iron) was in such good shape that all it needed was cleaning. If one buys good furniture and takes care of it, there is no need to replace it, unless one just wants something different, or needs something different in a new space. For years our dining room table was one we inherited, that had been handcrafted for my spouse's grandparents in 1904. It did eventually become rickety, so we replaced it with a new, modern one in 1976; it didn't stand up quite as well, so we had to replace that one with another new one in 2017. My secretary desk was made from a Williamsburg pattern by a carpenter for my mother-in-law in 1950, and it is solid as a rock. It would be foolish to replace it just because it has some nicks and scratches from numerous moves.

Perhaps I am proving myself to be the village idiot, but what are the four F's? o_O