The Ignorance Of Youth!

Avalon
This topic is 2176 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not into contemporary music. I know the names Lady Gaga and Beyonce but could not pick them out of a crowd nor name any of their songs.

And I know the name Mel Brooks, but I couldn't pick him out of a crowd or name one of his films. You can't complain about ignorant youth and then admit to ignorance yourself. You have a personal connection with those movies, just as someone my age has a personal connection with Lady Gaga's music-- that doesn't make either of them better than the other, it just means we like different things and appreciate the pop culture we grew up in.

"The youth are ignorant" has been said about every generation in history, and almost always amounts to "they don't like the things I like, which makes them wrong."

Edited by Cody Converse

And I know the name Mel Brooks, but I couldn't pick him out of a crowd or name one of his films. You can't complain about ignorant youth and then admit to ignorance yourself. You have a personal connection with those movies, just as someone my age has a personal connection with Lady Gaga's music-- that doesn't make either of them better than the other, it just means we like different things and appreciate the pop culture we grew up in.

"The youth are ignorant" has been said about every generation in history, and almost always amounts to "they don't like the things I like, which makes them wrong."

Easy to pick out Mel Brooks. He'll be the oldest one! ;-)))

Playing devil's advocate, could a child of the '60s namecheck Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington or the Gershwins?

The ignorance of youth is revisited with each and every generation. History repeats itself :)

And I would also say that an ignorance of pop culture is a poor indicator of general ignorance. There are plenty of educated cultivated people who find pop culture repellant.

It's not just the ignorance of youth - just about any generation has its share of nincompoops. Did you ever watch Jay Leno's Jaywalking segments? Typical questions and answers (questions were taken from the test for those seeking American citizenship):

1. Who did we fight in the Revolutionary War? Answer: France.

2. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted? Woman had no answer.

3. Who elects Congress? Answer: the President.

4. How many stars on the flag? Answer: 32.

5. Where does Congress meet? Answer: The Pentagon.

I sometimes wonder how 35-45% of Americans can continue to support this con-man/moron Trump. Then I watch of segment of Jaywalking and I have my answer.

It's not just the ignorance of youth - just about any generation has its share of nincompoops. Did you ever watch Jay Leno's Jaywalking segments? Typical questions and answers (questions were taken from the test for those seeking American citizenship):

1. Who did we fight in the Revolutionary War? Answer: France.

2. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted? Woman had no answer.

3. Who elects Congress? Answer: the President.

4. How many stars on the flag? Answer: 32.

5. Where does Congress meet? Answer: The Pentagon.

I sometimes wonder how 35-45% of Americans can continue to support this con-man/moron Trump. Then I watch of segment of Jaywalking and I have my answer.

I fondly remember those segments.

I used to stay up and watch the first half hour of Leno's show. I liked his monologues and sketches. Didn't watch his star interviews.

I was a child of the sixties and was always aware of music, movies and television of the past. Our family would watch silent movies at Shakeys. Listen to a wide variety of music. Little Rascals, Stooges, Marx Brothers were as much a staple as the cartoons of the era. Expose kids to some of the classics and you will be surprised how they may react. Hell I have even been revisiting TV from my child hood via Youtube. The Chuckles the clown episode of Mary Tyler Moore still holds up today, As do many of the Carol Burnett skits. There is value in the past, and yes somethings never change. I feel about Rap and Hip Hop the way my father may have felt about the Rolling Stones or his father about Glen Miller.

I was a child of the sixties and was always aware of music, movies and television of the past. Our family would watch silent movies at Shakeys. Listen to a wide variety of music. Little Rascals, Stooges, Marx Brothers were as much a staple as the cartoons of the era. Expose kids to some of the classics and you will be surprised how they may react. Hell I have even been revisiting TV from my child hood via Youtube. The Chuckles the clown episode of Mary Tyler Moore still holds up today, As do many of the Carol Burnett skits. There is value in the past, and yes somethings never change. I feel about Rap and Hip Hop the way my father may have felt about the Rolling Stones or his father about Glen Miller.

Ah, yes...Carol Burnett skits and MTM...wasn't that just on last Saturday night?

My parents and grandparents were big old-movie buffs, and I grew up watching great old films. When my sister was taking tap lessons, her teacher lent her a VHS tape with a bunch of numbers on it, including this one. I mentioned it to a friend and said I bet he didn't know who Eleanor Powell was. In fact, he didn't know who Fred Astaire was!

Same here. My parents and grandparents would point out the great stars of yesteryear. Many folks don't know that James Cagney was a song and dance man. What passes for entertainment anymore! The kids these days!! ;);)

Edited by E.T.Bass

Same here. My parents and grandparents would point out the great stars of yesteryear. Many folks don't know that James Cagney was a song and dance man. What passes for entertainment anymore! The kids these days!! ;);)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Give_My_Regards_to_Broadway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herald_Square

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42nd_Street_(Manhattan)