Call Me By Your Name on Cable

Snbrd
This topic is 2114 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be the last person on this forum yet to see Call Me by Your Name. Having waited this long does anyone know when it will be HBO, etc? If it's soon I'll wait, if not I'll stream on Amazon. Thanks

I have no intention of seeing it. So you won't be the last. I'm not really into gay themed movies. The actors are either incredibly handsome and having sex right and left, or handsome but just can't find the right guy until they come across their soulmate-I find that depressing. Or there is the fat bald guy who looks a lot like me -and is either comically inept or possibly evil- and that's depressing too.

Gman

I posted this when it was 5.99 on Amazon. The other day it was .99. I watched & thoroughly enjoyed it. I meant to see it at the cinema but snowstorms cancelled a couple of planned outings. It’s a different take on teen boy crush on older guy.

The actors are either incredibly handsome and having sex right and left, or handsome but just can't find the right guy until they come across their soulmate-

I'm not sure why you feel that's exclusive to gay movies. Many, even most, straight love stories work in a similar vein.

Or there is the fat bald guy who looks a lot like me -and is either comically inept or possibly evil- and that's depressing too.

Same comment as above. And it can go for deliberately grotesque female roles too (think Kathy Bates in Misery for one example).

I have no intention of seeing it. So you won't be the last. I'm not really into gay themed movies. The actors are either incredibly handsome and having sex right and left, or handsome but just can't find the right guy until they come across their soulmate-I find that depressing.

I'm not sure why you feel that's exclusive to gay movies. Many, even most, straight love stories work in a similar vein.

Or there is the fat bald guy who looks a lot like me -and is either comically inept or possibly evil- and that's depressing too.

Gman

Same comment as above. And it can go for deliberately grotesque female roles too (think Kathy Bates in Misery for one example).

The difference is I'm not straight. I'm gay. So I identify more with the gay movie as opposed to the straight one.

Gman

I have no intention of seeing it. So you won't be the last. I'm not really into gay themed movies. The actors are either incredibly handsome and having sex right and left, or handsome but just can't find the right guy until they come across their soulmate-I find that depressing. Or there is the fat bald guy who looks a lot like me -and is either comically inept or possibly evil- and that's depressing too.

Gman

You're not alone lumping it into the gay movie category. Most people don't admit there is such a thing as bisexuality. However..............in the book and the movie, both characters are written as bisexual.

Gman

You're not alone lumping it into the gay movie category. Most people don't admit there is such a thing as bisexuality. However..............in the book and the movie, both characters are written as bisexual.

Let's say gay-themed movies then. In general I don't watch them.

Gman

Let's say gay-themed movies then. In general I don't watch them.

Gman

So check out Luca Guadagnino's 2010 film, I Am Love, starring Tilda Swinton. It is a straight movie by the gay director of Call Me By Your Name! Many of the film techniques he uses in CMBYN are apparent and are quite impressive cinematically.

Just curious, @Gar1eth, have you ever seen Brokeback Mountain, or did you avoid that film, too?

TruHart1 :cool:

Gman

I do see gay themed movies but often have the same reactions you do.

An online video told the story of a man and woman who fell in love with each other after meeting at the dog park. The comments were hilarious - mostly along the lines of "so if I am impossibly good looking and have a dog, I might find true love too?"

Just curious, @Gar1eth, have you ever seen Brokeback Mountain, or did you avoid that film, too?

TruHart1 :cool:

At the time it came out, I was deep, deep in the closet (although I was hiring frequently) and living in a city of population 325,000. I know I didn't want to see it in case someone saw me there by myself-I didn't have anyone there to go to the movies with. I probably also didn't want to see it because of the reasons stated above.

Since then, while I'm not exactly closeted, but also not exactly out-or perhaps it's more accurate to say that sometimes maybe I'm still in and other times I'm out depending on the circumstances, I've thought about seeing it multiple times. But I haven't made a lot of effort to accomplish that. One of the reasons may be due to Heath Ledger's untimely death-but maybe not.

As an aside, I did watch the first two seasons of Queer As Folk (although at the same time I was watching QAF, I religiously avoided Will and Grace and didn't watch it for years). However QAF came on in the privacy of my own "boudoir." When it came out, I was still a year or so away from having my first sexual experience. The producers/directors were really trying to shock in that first episode and really dialed up the sound when Brian took Justin's virginity. The scene was making me sick to my stomach, and I had to turn the program off.

Gman

As an aside, I did watch the first two seasons of Queer As Folk (although at the same time I was watching QAF, I religiously avoided Will and Grace and didn't watch it for years). However QAF came on in the privacy of my own "boudoir." When it came out, I was still a year or so away from having my first sexual experience. The producers/directors were really trying to shock in that first episode and really dialed up the sound when Brian took Justin's virginity. The scene was making me sick to my stomach, and I had to turn the program off.

Everyone's experiences are different, of course, depending on our individual lives. I came out in high school, when I was 17 - that was 1981. So I think my life since then has led to having different perspectives than someone who comes out later in life. Gman, clearly you've lived a different track, and I respect you for that.

In terms of QAF, I welcomed the raw sexuality, because I was just glad that it was now being allowed in a more mainstream way. I didn't always love the stylized camera techniques in the sex scenes, but I did understand that it was part of the "film language" being used, and it was a way to heighten the drama. In terms of Justin/Brian - that was a tough story for me because I've lived it in some ways - though I've never been the over-cynical mess that Brian was, lol, I did see a lot of a former love of my life in Justin, and I did see shades of their somewhere elusive relationship in the two of us. (Conversely, there's a lot of Justin in me as well - both in terms of his emotional struggles and his being an artist.) I cried for real when Justin "disappeared" at the end of the series, because that also parallels real life for me. And yet of course I was drawn to watching them, because the parallel was also very compelling to me.

I have to confess I never watched Will And Grace on any kind of regular basis - I've seen it a few times, but it wasn't a "must see" the way other shows were for me. And I say "confess" because I've always felt a little guilty about that - I knew Debra Messing in college (she was a star-to-be even then, lol), and have always felt a little bad that I didn't catch on to what is still her most famous show. But, so it is.

Back to my original post, though - films have mostly always been about heightened reality, just as most aspects and disciplines of the performing arts are. The norm in Hollywood, like it or not, is that the glamorous, beautiful actors/actresses play the lovers, and the more "character" actors get the other roles. Not that it always happens that way, but that's the general expectation. And there was a time when gay characters (or out actors) were only the "others" or the "clowns" - the comic relief at best. And sometimes even that stereotype could be inspired (Stephen Stucker's off-the-wall quasi Paul Lynde-ish character of "Johnny" in Airplane, for example), but I'm sure most of us have watched those stereotypes for most of our lives without being able to express how uncomfortable they have perhaps made us feel. So hey - I certainly am not against Hollywood showing us a serious, layered, poignant romance between two very handsome, "non-stereotypically gay" men - it's about time, lol.

At the time it came out, I was deep, deep in the closet (although I was hiring frequently) and living in a city of population 325,000. I know I didn't want to see it in case someone saw me there by myself-I didn't have anyone there to go to the movies with. I probably also didn't want to see it because of the reasons stated above.

Since then, while I'm not exactly closeted, but also not exactly out-or perhaps it's more accurate to say that sometimes maybe I'm still in and other times I'm out depending on the circumstances, I've thought about seeing it multiple times. But I haven't made a lot of effort to accomplish that. One of the reasons may be due to Heath Ledger's untimely death-but maybe not.

Gman

What you describe is not something all that unusual. I know I'm not making any novel pronouncement, but you don't just come out and that's it. You have to come out separately to everyone you know and everyone you meet. Sometimes it will be to a group rather than an individual, but even if you tattoo it onto your forehead it's still a revelation to people you meet. In a public interview, nobody ever says, 'So, you're heterosexual, that's interesting, tell me about that aspect of your life'.

In a public interview, nobody ever says, 'So, you're heterosexual, that's interesting, tell me about that aspect of your life'.

True - but that's also because it's (unfortunately) assumed as the norm...and also because it's discussed in the open all the time. Conversations about one's kids, or in-laws, or a guy's perhaps rueful mention of "the wife" etc. If you think about it, talk about hetero life is both discussed and assumed all the time. So it doesn't need to be treated as something unique. And in fact, the idea that gay couples can also have kids, or in-laws, etc - that's still very unique for a lot of people, unfortunately.

Referencing the relationship I mentioned in my last post that had some resonance with the Justin/Brian storyline - when we split up I was beyond devastated. I was playing in the orchestra for a show that summer shortly after, and happened to mention in casual conversation to a colleague (someone who didn't know my personal life at all) that I was just out of a 6-year relationship. He expressed sympathy, of course, but then his first question was simply "any kids?" This was the early 1990's, so gay couples having kids wasn't something that was going to be a de facto question at the time, lol. He clearly thought I was going through a hetero divorce. I can't blame him for thinking that, but it just goes to show you what people tend to be conditioned to think.

True - but that's also because it's (unfortunately) assumed as the norm...and also because it's discussed in the open all the time. Conversations about one's kids, or in-laws, or a guy's perhaps rueful mention of "the wife" etc. If you think about it, talk about hetero life is both discussed and assumed all the time. So it doesn't need to be treated as something unique. And in fact, the idea that gay couples can also have kids, or in-laws, etc - that's still very unique for a lot of people, unfortunately.

I'm probably going to get lambasted for this. But I'll contend that IT's (heterosexuality) assumed the norm because it is the norm.

This is a hilarious video. But on a biological basis it seems to ring very true to me.

Gman

Not so much lambasted, but there are many different meanings of normal, and the connotations of abnormal the opposite of normal color the conversation. The majority of people are right handed. That doesn't mean left-handed is abnormal.

When I say 'normal' I'm talking about 'normal' mostly, but not entirely, in a more mathematical sense -where it signifies more the usual and customary state of things-where things trend toward the average/the middle. Whereas your use of the word 'abnormal' (and I'm not saying you think this obviously-it's just the example you are giving) is implying, I think, moral judgements if I'm understanding correctly what you wrote.

Gman

• 2 weeks later...

Gman

Oh Gman forget the sex scenes. Fast forward if you need to. It’s that airily shabby Italian villa I lust for. When I die and go to heaven (yea not bloody likely) I hope it’s just like that place. [swoon]

For me, the most brilliant (and really toughest to watch) moment in the film is the last few minutes. Daring, in terms of how it's filmed and how Chalamet goes with the emotional risk of it - and it's so intensely emotional, and universal for anyone who has lost a lover, straight or gay, especially in our youth. Blew me away.

For me, the most brilliant (and really toughest to watch) moment in the film is the last few minutes. Daring, in terms of how it's filmed and how Chalamet goes with the emotional risk of it - and it's so intensely emotional, and universal for anyone who has lost a lover, straight or gay, especially in our youth. Blew me away.

That might be the other thing. I've never been in love. I'm not sure if at 57 one can be be in love when one never has before-or rather I'll concede that probably lots of people can be-I'm not sure whether I can fall in love at this point in my life. Or who knows-maybe it doesn't matter about my age? Maybe I'm one of those people who would never have been able to fall in love no matter what my age was. The older I get the less I like watching love stories. They make me very melancholic

Gman