What Exotic Meats Have Eaten?

Avalon
This topic is 1907 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I always try to eat the most exotic meats I can find. Alligator's easy to find in the South. I've also had horse, reindeer, moose, rattlesnake, musk ox, kangaroo, crocodile, greater Kudu, impala, lion, dog, whale, guinea pig (cuy in Peru), some insects and worms in South Africa, alpaca, and sea urchin. I'm going down to mysterious Paraguay in 2 weeks. I wonder what mysterious meat I can find there? Capybara? Broad-snouted caiman?

I was unfamiliar with these animals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_kudu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capybara

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caiman

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Capybaras are rodents of unusual size. Not at all endangered, and apparently good to eat. I'll see if I can find it...

Paraguay_Travel_Capybara-498x750.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, Capybaras are rodents of unusual size. Not at all endangered, and apparently good to eat. I'll see if I can find it...

Not sure who told you "they were good to eat"....but

tried Capybara in Panama....prepared with LOTs of garlic, soaked in wine and peppered with spices and it still tasted of rat.

I'm truly an adventurous diner.......but I really couldn't finish my meal.

The only other thing that put me off over many years of travel and exotic foods, was the Sea Cucumber in China. Looked like a giant gray turd, and tasted like cardboard soaked in weak tea.

Not sure who told you "they were good to eat"....but

tried Capybara in Panama....prepared with LOTs of garlic, soaked in wine and peppered with spices and it still tasted of rat.

I'm truly an adventurous diner.......but I really couldn't finish my meal.

The only other thing that put me off over many years of travel and exotic foods, was the Sea Cucumber in China. Looked like a giant gray turd, and tasted like cardboard soaked in weak tea.

Not exotic but I don't like liver; neither the smell nor the taste. And though my mother tried many ways to prepare it it, different spices etc., I still did not like it. Nonetheless I had to force myself to eat it.

tried Capybara in Panama....prepared with LOTs of garlic, soaked in wine and peppered with spices and it still tasted of rat...

I’d love to read about the time you ate rat meat... That’s one I haven’t tried. Closest was the guinea pig in Peru. Unfortunately my trip in Paraguay is finishing soon, and I didn’t find anything exotic. There sure are a lot of coatis near Ciudad del Este/Iguazú Falls. I can’t stomach organ meats, either. When I was about 8 or 9, my parents left me for several days in some Swiss boarding school while they went off on their own. They told me they wouldn’t let me leave the table until I ate a plate of liver. When I started hurling they told me I’d have to eat my vomit . One of my more traumatic childhood experiences.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ip5PcbX6rH8/maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• 6 months later...

Brooklynites wondering what elk, ostrich and boar taste like are in luck. An organic burger restaurant that features exotic meat options is making its way to the border of Downtown Brooklyn and Fort Greene.

Burger Village, a Long Island-based eatery that also has a spot on 7th Avenue, has signed a lease for one of the retail spots at luxury apartment complex 33 Bond Street. The restaurant will also be joined by Neighborhood Cut and Shave, a barber shop with three other New York City locations, the real estate developers announced.

Both will have a 300 Livingston Street retail address.

"We are thrilled to welcome Neighborhood Cut and Shave and Burger Village to 33 Bond Street, adding to the vibrant retail we have curated in partnership with Winick at the building...We are bringing great new amenities to Downtown Brooklyn for our residents and neighbors," said Steve Gonzalez, head of retail leasing with developers TF Cornerstone.

The burger spot, set to open this summer, offers traditional beef burgers as well as everything from turkey to elk, wild boar and lamb. The menu also features options for vegan, vegetarian or gluten free diners, including black bean and mushroom patties and veggie patties.

Their all-organic, antibiotic and hormone free menu also offers fries, salads, soups, shakes and desserts, according to the website.

Both retailers will be added to the ground floor of 33 Bond Street, a 714-unit luxury residential building.

"The retail at 300 Livingston Street offers an incredible opportunity for these incoming retailers," said Winick Realty Group Director Daniyel Cohen. "With access to public transportation, as well as the many development projects underway—including the nearby Ace Hotel and 9 Dekalb, anticipated to be Brooklyn's tallest building—their potential clientele grows almost weekly."

An Oxford president strong-armed octopus off a welcome dinner menu — arguing that the dish might be off-putting to disadvantaged students, according to a new report.

Octopus was the starter meal at an introductory dinner for freshmen at Somerville College — one of Oxford University’s constituent campuses — last year, The Telegraph reported. But Baroness Jan Royall, the school’s president, sank the dish.

“One of our students told me of her bemusement at being served an octopus terrine at the Freshers’ Dinner,” Royall, also a British Labour Co-operative Party politician, wrote in a letter published on the college’s website.

“I’m sure the cephalopod dish was delicious, but it might not be quite right for everyone. I have asked our catering colleagues to ensure that the first dinner at the beginning of term features dishes everyone is comfortable with,” she continued, without offering any more specifics.

In a statement posted to Twitter Friday, the school said it said it “[doesn’t] make any assumptions about what our students will or won’t eat based on their social or cultural background.”

“The point of education is to widen horizons, including introducing students to new tastes,” the statement said. “But we want to make sure that, at the Freshers’ Dinner at least, food is served that everyone is likely to be comfortable with.”

But some students were opposed to the change.

“Whilst this move appears to be a demonstration of the college taking access seriously, it’s more tokenistic than a serious step to improve access into the college,” one told the Telegraph. “It also implies that octopus, and certain food dishes, are not for people from a particular background and should be reserved for the privileged few.”

Another added, “serving eccentric meals at the first dinner may have been off-putting to many students from disadvantaged backgrounds, but there are more important things to focus on in terms of reform.”

Somerville College was founded in 1879 as Oxford’s first women-only, non-denominational college. Now both women and men are admitted to the school.

Only if you are a geezer like me might you remember the meat shortages of the 70's. Mom whose friend who worked in a Dog food factory would give her the Filly Mignons. (sorry bad pun). They were delicious I might add.

There was even an episode of All in the Family with the same premise.