To tip or not to tip? To flip out or not to flip out?

purplekow
This topic is 2191 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I ordered from a take out restaurant which I use about once a week. Today I called, and was told the delivery would be there in 30 to 45 minutes. Usually the order is early. Today, after about 1.5 hours, I called to see if there was a problem and I was placed on hold for about 10 minutes and disconnected. I called back and I was told that there was a bit of a mix up and that the order was on the road. It should be noted I live about 5 minutes from the restaurant. About 10 minutes later, there is a knock on the door and the delivery person is there with the beverage I ordered. He apologized for the forgotten beverage but when I asked about my food, he said it should have been delivered already and that the other delivery person should arrive shortly. I called again after waiting 1/2 hour and was asked which was the order for which I was waiting and then someone else got on the phone and told me the my order, an incorrect order was on its way.. I corrected the order and was told my order would be remade and would be on the house. I refused the free meal. 20 minutes later, almost 2.5 hours after my order, the food and a beverage arrived. The delivery person told me that she would pay for 1/2 the meal and I told her that I had been offered and turned down a free meal. I paid her.

15 minutes later, she was back at my door with my order and told me that one was on the house.

So would anyone have taken the first meal as a freebie? Anyone would have taken the second meal as a freebie? Would anyone have tipped either of the delivery persons. IF so would you have tipped the second delivery person who came twice each time they came?

I ordered from a take out restaurant which I use about once a week. Today I called, and was told the delivery would be there in 30 to 45 minutes. Usually the order is early. Today, after about 1.5 hours, I called to see if there was a problem and I was placed on hold for about 10 minutes and disconnected. I called back and I was told that there was a bit of a mix up and that the order was on the road. It should be noted I live about 5 minutes from the restaurant. About 10 minutes later, there is a knock on the door and the delivery person is there with the beverage I ordered. He apologized for the forgotten beverage but when I asked about my food, he said it should have been delivered already and that the other delivery person should arrive shortly. I called again after waiting 1/2 hour and was asked which was the order for which I was waiting and then someone else got on the phone and told me the my order, an incorrect order was on its way.. I corrected the order and was told my order would be remade and would be on the house. I refused the free meal. 20 minutes later, almost 2.5 hours after my order, the food and a beverage arrived. The delivery person told me that she would pay for 1/2 the meal and I told her that I had been offered and turned down a free meal. I paid her.

15 minutes later, she was back at my door with my order and told me that one was on the house.

So would anyone have taken the first meal as a freebie? Anyone would have taken the second meal as a freebie? Would anyone have tipped either of the delivery persons. IF so would you have tipped the second delivery person who came twice each time they came?

Tip the Driver - The screwup is likely at the Restaurant. Food Delivery is generally not a first career choice. It also sounds like the restaurant did a good job of trying to make amends.

Tip the Driver - The screwup is likely at the Restaurant. Food Delivery is generally not a first career choice. It also sounds like the restaurant did a good job of trying to make amends.

Never turn down something free! Several years ago - over three now - a hair salon offered me a free hair cut and a shave. I accepted. But I did give each a tip.

In your case it's not the fault of the drivers but of the restaurant's management.

Never turn down something free! Several years ago - over three now - a hair salon offered me a free hair cut and a shave. I accepted. But I did give each a tip.

In your case it's not the fault of the drivers but of the restaurant's management.

I did tip the driver. It was however, clearly her fault. It was her first day. She was out with the order long enough for the other delivery person to get to my house to deliver the beverage and get back to the restaurant to take the call when I called again. He had no idea where she was with the order. She did manage to get from my house to the restaurant and back in 10 minutes with the second order, which I specifically said I did not want but they sent anyway. When she arrived at my home she asked if this was 16 and I informed her it was not but that the order was from here. So it appears she had been frazzled by the job. The beverage delivery guy was a blond twinkie with a nice butt which I did get to view on his walk down the path to his car, so there was that.

I did tip the driver. It was however, clearly her fault. It was her first day. She was out with the order long enough for the other delivery person to get to my house to deliver the beverage and get back to the restaurant to take the call when I called again. He had no idea where she was with the order. She did manage to get from my house to the restaurant and back in 10 minutes with the second order, which I specifically said I did not want but they sent anyway. When she arrived at my home she asked if this was 16 and I informed her it was not but that the order was from here. So it appears she had been frazzled by the job. The beverage delivery guy was a blond twinkie with a nice butt which I did get to view on his walk down the path to his car, so there was that.

I'd go easy on a newbie.

Forget tipping or flipping, drive or walk the 5 minute distance to the damn place and not have this ordeal (although hopefully the nice butt on the guy made it all worth while).

Gee I never considered that. Perhaps I had something preventing that. Could be you did not consider that.

If it's the delivery person's first day I'd cut her some slack. She was probably getting yelled at by a lot of people all night. Lots of houses are poorly marked or not at all, and it takes time to know the neighborhood.