Did You Have To Climb A Rope In Gym Class?

Avalon
This topic is 2207 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've seen this on "The Goldbergs" and other shows. I didn't have this in my high school gym class. I'd think it would be one of the most dangerous physical education things to do. A person could climb high but then fall. A mat would not be of much help upon landing.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. We did it from fourth or fifth grade on up to senior year. I was a scrawny, unathletic kid, and this was one of the few areas where I could perform well in gym class. There was a mark on the rope indicating how high you needed to climb (probably around 15 feet) but the gym teachers either encouraged or didn't discourage students from climbing to the gym ceiling beams.

Seems crazy now, but I can't recall any injuries. Dodge ball was much more deadly.

I've seen this on "The Goldbergs" and other shows. I didn't have this in my high school gym class. I'd think it would be one of the most dangerous physical education things to do. A person could climb high but then fall. A mat would not be of much help upon landing.

It's not as dangerous as climbing telephone poles in Army training.

It was an old gymnastics sport (from the 19th century) and it was kept around as a way to help train guys to do well on military physical fitness tests. WWI, which launched things like aptitude tests, probably made this and things like calesthenics part of the PE curriculum. Despite physical labor being much more common then thannit is know enormous numbers of draftees failed PE tests. Of course, now we know fitness in one area doesn't predict it in others. I'll bet a lot of the people who washed out of rope climb were scared of heights rather than unfit.

I never could. I think it started in 3rd or 4th grade.

Worse in danger (not in fun) was a full size trampoline. Took six kids to spot it. I learned to do belly lands, back lands, and forward flips. I was never so stupid as to try a backflip. Man!

Aside: As I kid, 1-6 and 9-12, I had physical education (and chorus) every day. 7 and 8, it was three times/week. I wasn't fit, but I wasn't too fat.

Yes But Coach made other arrangements for me and his rope . . .

Yes. What's worse is several people before me who were much stronger than I "failed" in their attempt before I accomplished it on try one. It's arousing knowing a large group is staring up at your exposed ass under your shorts wearing a jock strap as you're struggling to reach a pinnacle! I grew up in the short gym shorts days.

In fifth grade the big husky jock didn't have the arm strength to support his weight, so he suffered the humiliation of being unable to do much more than hang there with arms fully extended and his belly exposed. I'm sure he dreaded rope-climbing days the way a lot of us dreaded most of the rest of gym class. Worse, the rest of the jocks mocked him pointing out that "even Nvr2Thick" could climb the rope and he couldn't. I'm sure that he always singled me out as a dodgeball target for just that reason.

In fifth grade the big husky jock didn't have the arm strength to support his weight, so he suffered the humiliation of being unable to do much more than hang there with arms fully extended and his belly exposed. I'm sure he dreaded rope-climbing days the way a lot of us dreaded most of the rest of gym class. Worse, the rest of the jocks mocked him pointing out that "even Nvr2Thick" could climb the rope and he couldn't. I'm sure that he always singled me out as a dodgeball target for just that reason.

One of a series of prescribed exercises from JFK's student athletic challenge if I remember correctly...that...pull ups....sit ups...running....softball...soccer...and dancing....I liked them all...and was very athletic....but preferred dancing...

I sure did enjoy watching the hot jocks in my class do it. It was a spectacular view from below. :D

I still remember in elementary school, we once had some sort of gymnastics exhibition. There was one guy who did rope climbing, but turned it into a joke where his pants fell down in the process. (It was clearly planned, because there were several performances of this "show," and he did it every time.) Obviously his underwear stayed on.

But I'm thinking - that was the mid 70's - I wonder if anyone would dare throw in a gag like that anymore?

I loved the rope and I hated it at the same time. I couldn't for the life of me climb that thing, but I sure did enjoy watching the hot jocks in my class do it. It was a spectacular view from below. :D

I found this interesting. I don't remember being interested in watching the hot jocks in my class do it. I guess I wasn't tuned into my desires in 7th & 8th grade.

I dreaded rope climbing. I was a little overweight and not well coordinated and couldn't get up very far.