Back in the day...

LurkerSpeaks
This topic is 6665 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know this is going to date myself.. but

Can you remember when Snack Pack pudding came in individual cans?

Can you remember when the phone company brought out your phone when they set up your service?

Can you remember when television channels consisted of ABC, CBS, and NBC? (unless you were able to PBS)

Can you remember when you had to get up to change the tv channel?

Can you remember when you had to defrost your freezer?

Can you remember when the Ford Pinto was popular?

Can you remember when Flip Wilson was on tv?

Can you remember when Bea Arthur was known for Maude instead of for Dorothy?

Can you remember when Nancy Sinatra sang "These Boots are made for walking?"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember it all!!! Oh course, here at Shady Pines we all watch Nick at Night and the only solid food we get is Snack Pack pudding.

Now if only I can get a good trade in on my Pinto before it explodes into flames.

I have my eye on a snazy yellow Vega ;)

What more amazing is that Mr. Rick is into it all and he was only a baby then. Come to Daddy }(

>Can you remember when Flip Wilson was on tv?

Yes, this past Sunday morning on TV Land (guests were Howard Cosell, Marty Feldman, Taj Mahal and Sandy Duncan). :p

>Can you remember when Nancy Sinatra sang "These Boots are made

>for walking?"

Click here if you can't: http://scopitones.blogs.com/scopitonescom/files/boots.mov

She makes Jessica Simpson look like a dirty old dish rag (btw, Derek and I were at one of our favorite straight gyms on Long Island last night, and they show videos there, and when Jessica's video for "Boots" came on, all the guys gathered around to watch, with their jaws dropped open. Derek said to me, "I'd like to shove my dick in some of those open mouths," and I said to Derek, "Now that they're all horned up, we should lure some into the locker room and blow them." Neither of us got our way.)

>do you remember when the milkman delivered your milk to your

>house?

I remember when the last horse-drawn milk wagon was retired in my home town.

I remember when the interstate highway was brought into town. (It was something of a local travesty. They had to burn down a GORGEOUS 3-story farm house to make way.)

Growing up, I always wondered why "West Side Park" was a good 10 miles EAST from The West Side of town (which is where we lived). These days, The West Side is another 15 miles further west, but West Side Park is still in the same location. ;-)

Do you remember the Fuller Brush Man?

Do you remember a 36 inch TV with a 10 inch screen?

Heck, do you remember only B&W TV?

Do you remember only one bathroom for the whole family?

Do you remember when a car wash was a bucket, sponge and YOU?

Do you remember before there was McDonalds?

I do remember as a kid playing on I-75 while they were building it, what a great place to ride your bike.

Seems like those days were so much more simple, less stress and fewer responsabilities. Being a kid was great and sometimes it would be nice to go back.

Thanks for this thread.

This topic came to my mind last night as I lay in bed, trying to fall asleep. thought it would be fun to reminisce about times past in a friendly, no-harm way...

Here is a few more for you...

Can you remember when the first readily available mass microwave oven came out? (the amana radarange)

Can you remember when the only choices to improve tv reception was either rabbit ears or a big old antennae stuck on your roof?

Can you remember when you had a choice of VHS or Beta?

Here's one for the slightly younger crowd...Can you remember all the excitement when "Cruising" with Al Pacino came out?

>Do you remember a 36 inch TV with a 10 inch screen?

>Heck, do you remember only B&W TV?

Yup. Do you remember the NBC Peacock and how amazing it was to see color on a TV screen? Or how about rabbit ears? And console TV's with built-in record players. In our neighborhood, a console color TV was definitely a status symbol!

BG

Now you're getting past my time. :-)

My older siblings remember when my family got our first TV. But we had a TV early enough that I was watching Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room and the Life of Reilly before I was in kindergarten.

But I do remember listening to shows on radio with my family as well as watching TV.

Speaking of TV, do you remember Amos and Andy (on TV or radio)? Car 54, Where Are You? Highway Patrol? Death Valley Days?

BG

Geez, I had forgotten those. We'd see them in vacation houses. It would be funny to us kids when someone in another house would pick up and say "Are you ever getting off this phone??"

Do you remember rear vent windows? And vent windows that opened? Push-button transmissions? (Was that in Dodges??) How about the windshield washer pump in VWs that was powered by the air in the spare tire?

Bosco? Cocoa Marsh? Fudgsicles and Popsicles for a nickel? Or penny candy? And wax lips? And those funny wax things with the sweet liquid inside them?

BG

>Do they still make those straws filled with flavored sugar?

>:-)

Don't know if they still make them, but I still see them in stores. ;-)

A little neighborhood store I visit a lot still has what we used to know as a penny-candy counter. The proprietor is like the dutch uncle to every kid in the neighborhood, teaching them to count change and such. Very much a throwback to a simpler era.

(On the downside, they also now have beef jerkey "snuff".)

Archived