Back in the day...

LurkerSpeaks
This topic is 6655 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for that memory, BG...I remember tightening up the rubber band too tight and hurting fingers a bit....was it Estes (?) rockets that we built and shot off?...was very cool then...I'm 43 and don't feel this was too far ago...how about Wacky Packages!...Vampire Blood...high-heeled dress shoes for guys (big heels about 1974)...more?

OOOOOHHHH...(clapping my hands) I LOVE this game!!!

Ok, do you remember free cheese?

Do you remember the dance that went with Tang?

Do you remember what AIDS was before it was a disease?

Do you remember how we all thought we were going to die in a nuclear armageddon? That was the Cold War, as opposed to Global Warming. Hot, cold, what's the diff, eh?

La Trix

Although I really hate to admit it, there was a time -- I think when I was around 17 -- when I really, really liked my powder-blue, double-breasted leisure suit with the big lapels. I can still see the 4"-wide ties I wore with it and the shoes with the big, fat heels (I actually think they were blue suede but that may just be a bad memory. LOL).

BG

Yours was powder blue, mine was light green. At least we'd make a nice couple.

I had the blue suede shoes too, only mine were saddle shoes. The light part was a delicate crepe color, and the saddle part was blue suede. The heels were lethal weapons. Solid and heavy chunks of some very hard material with very sharp edges.

The sins of our past....

Been out of town and hadn't seen this thread until today.

Man, it was like watching my life speed by.

Do you remember S & H Green Stamps?

Do you remember when gas was about 30 cents a gallon? Cigarettes too?

When I was a junior in high school, McDonald's had just begun to spread to my suburban area of Illinois. With $1, I could buy a gallon of gas, pack of smokes and still get a combo at Mickey D's.

For Deej, I remember very well the jingle for WLS. Do you remember Jack Brickhouse (before Harry Carey)?

Do you remember as a kid waiting two years for tickets to Bozo's Circus on WGN?

Do you remember Lunch Time Little theater on WGN (before Bozo) Can you sing THAT theme song?

It's lunchtime now, it's fun and how,

with Uncle Bucky, Uncle Ned and Me.

I have to lay back down now, the nurses are starting to rush the bed. I think I may have pulled something. hehehe

I love this game! I'm going to date myself because I remember everything that everyone has been reminiscing about! :-)

Does anyone but me remember when telephone numbers had names? I.E., Pennsylvania 6 - 5000 is more then just a song! It's the actual phone number for the Hotel Pennsylvania in New York.

Justice

From the Once you open the floodgates files.........

Does anyone remember Winky Dink?

We had one of the first TV sets in the neighborhood. It was a huge old console thing with a pull out turntable and a tiny screen about 8-10 inches I would guess.

Winky Dink was a cartoon series and he was always in trouble. Now the deal, you could buy a kit that contained a clear piece of plastic you put on the screen. Then, when Winky Dink would be chased up to the cliff, you would take your crayon and quickly draw him a bridge to cross. Then when he was over the bridge, you would erase it. I guess I always thought the plastic took too long to put up . I can still hear my Mother screaming. AHHHHH

Gee, on second thought was that Winky Dink? ooops, Here come the nurses again. SHHHH, I'm sleeping........

When I posted this thread, I had no idea it would take off like it did. Just thought it would be a fun thing for a couple of days and then vanish into the bowels of the board. Glad to see that we can all play a fun little game without the name calling and venom spouting....just like "back in the day"

Yes on Brickhouse! My Dad was a lifelong Cubs fan. Do you remember when Busch Stadium (the one they're tearing down) was new? And good old Wrigley still stands.... :7

We didn't get WGN TV until we got cable. Remember UHS vs. VHS TV stations?

Someone else mentioned Creature Feature. Wow, the memories! LOL

Does anyone remember "CBS Radio Mystery Theater"?

I knew there were 5-digit phone numbers.

When my parents married, they kept the number Mom already had. She had that same phone number for more than 40 years -- it just kept getting digits tacked onto the beginning.

When my grandad passed away, one of the things in his wallet was his phone list. Our number was still there in its 5-digit form, from when he'd written it down years before.

She also had hard-wired rotary phones (remember those?) until she sold that house around 1995.

>

>Does anyone remember "CBS Radio Mystery Theater"?

I remember at least one episdoe starring Kim Hunter, and the hosts E.G. Marshall and Tammy Grimes (of all people).

I remembered regretting not getting to hear this show anymore because I enjoyed the creepy theme music with those brooding double basses (bassi?). I thought I'd never hear it ever again.

As it is, the show now airs on the internet on at least one station I frequent, and the theme music appeared on a cd I now own (it came from... an episode of The Twilight Zone). We sure live in the age of information now.

Playhouse 90

Have Gun Will Travel

Omnibus (on Sundays)

What's my Line? (Dorothy Kilgallen, Kitty Carlisle, Bennett Cerf, and who was the original panelist who died and was replaced with a rotating fourth? Was John Edwards the host?)

Beat The Clock (Bud Collier?)

Ding Dong School

The Gary Moore Show (That Wonderful Year, Durwood Kirby and of course Carol Burnett)

The Arthur Godfrey Show

Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour

The Jackie Gleason Show (before he moved to Miami)

[/b]

OK, I need a nap now

Archived