Life is fragile...

Funguy
This topic is 2209 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My love and hugs to you, Funguy.

You've brought us lots of humor and warmth and strength, and now that's what you'll bring to fighting this. We're here to fight and support with you.

The two relatively recent run ins I've had involved a brother who got a very bad diagnosis and lived for a year and a friend diagnosed with cancer who actually did completely beat it. Your diagnosis sounds hopeful. In both cases helping a friend or family member with cancer brought us closer than ever before. You are right, it makes you think about how life is fragile, and it makes sense to spend it sharing love and hope with those you care about.

You are dealing with this openly and honestly. Good for you. That's the best thing you can do.

Edited by stevenkesslar

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother has had CML for more than a decade. It’s a scary diagnosis, and her medication has not been without its side effects. That said with rigid adherence to her medication regimen she has been able to live a relatively normal life, and that shows no sign of abating.

Good luck with your treatment.

Similar story. Doctors told my mother: "Bad news; good news." The bad news was she had Leukemia; the good news was she had the type where she could have a fairly long life expecentancy. The result was she lived an almost normal life for just short of 20 more years.

She had a great doctor at MD Anderson: Dr Michael Keating and they became close friends. She was fortunate to have great support from family and friends. She had a positive attitude; time and time again, she would say: "I do not have time to be sick, I have too much to do." She kept active until the very end.

Yes, there were times when she had difficult periods. In her case, she always bounced back. She kept looking forward and making future plans. After she died, the doctor told us that the number one thing that kept her alive was her attitude and positive determination to go forward.

I wish you well. There will be hard times. One of the best things you can do is to keep a positive environment around you and keep a positive attitude. Stay well and keep living life to the best of your ability.

Your admirable attitude will be a big advantage in fighting this. Stay strong!

Funguy- I've always enjoyed your thoughtful and insightful posts. You are our Funguy and you will beat this by keeping up in Funguy style and not let it get you down. We are all supporting your full and speedy recovery. My sincerest best wishes to you!

Why is it always the good souls? Well, if anyone one is equipped to push through this with brain,s heart and a brimming basket of people who want to help however they can, it's Funguy who's actually a FatasticGuy. Thinking of you, as you know.

@Funguy, my mother fought a very aggressive cancer and lived 8x the doctor's and the then current life expectancy for her diagnosis. She always said a positive never give up never surrender attitude is why she survived so long. I won't sugarcoat it, you have a battle on your hands. But, you're very well equipped and supported to take it on and live well for as long as you can.

I haven't been on the forum for very long--less than 2 years--but you're one of the people I'm always happy to read when I see your posts. Thank you for your contributions and I hope you continue to give and take from this community what you need.

@Funguy, my mother fought a very aggressive cancer and lived 8x the doctor's and the then current life expectancy for her diagnosis. She always said a positive never give up never surrender attitude is why she survived so long. I won't sugarcoat it, you have a battle on your hands. But, you're very well equipped and supported to take it on and live well for as long as you can.

I haven't been on the forum for very long--less than 2 years--but you're one of the people I'm always happy to read when I see your posts. Thank you for your contributions and I hope you continue to give and take from this community what you need.

Thank you, @LivingnLA.

My positive attitude keeps me smiling (as does the optimistic prognosis).

I appreciate your kind words and know this community is always here for me.

:):D