Roseanne reboot...

This topic is 2056 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Not the same thing, but BRIDGET LOVES BERNIE was cancelled because of negative reaction to the series' depiction of interfaith marriage. It was the highest rated program ever to be cancelled after one season.

I've always thought it was because viewers picked up on the fact that Meredith Baxter would eventually come out, and they didn't buy her 'chemistry' with David Birney. They married after the show went off the air, but of course, it was doomed to fail, only lasting 15 years.

"Bridget Loves Birnie" was one of mother's favorite tv shows. Ah the fond memories - sigh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridget_Loves_Bernie

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0d22fd05d8d8d324af2770a0af3b1d26

May 31, 2018 … It took only a few hours for ABC and just about everyone else who was in business with Roseanne Barr to cut all ties to the comedian, saying they were shocked and outraged by her hateful tweeting. This had to be more laughable than any of the gags on her resurgent sitcom.

After all, Barr has never been anything other than what she is now: a talented and addled provocateur who will say or do almost any outrageous thing — butcher the national anthem, mock the Holocaust, run for president or prime minister of Israel — just to get people talking about her.

Sound like anyone else you might have seen on TV at any hour of the day or night?

And that, of course, was the point of bringing Roseanne’s irreverent sense of humor back to network TV. She was supposed to draw in all the same people who love President Trump, who resent all the elite consensus and political correctness and multiculturalism, and who just want someone — pardon the terminology here — to piss off all us snowflakes …

But then Roseanne flamed out all at once, publicly comparing a black confidante of President Obama’s to an ape (and a radical Muslim one at that).

Why? As the late New York City Mayor Ed Koch once shouted at me from a hospital bed, when I asked him to explain Rudy Giuliani’s apparent meanness: Why does the scorpion sting? It’s in his nature!

This hits on just the reason that I’m happy the show has been cancelled. It was peddling the bullshit myth that Trumpism is fueled by economic anxiety.

Roseanne’s tweet that brought it all down was symptomatic of raw, vulgar bigotry — Trumpism’s actual fuel.

BINGO!

As Morgan Jerkins put it the other day in TIME magazine:

Like the many newspaper and magazine features that have spotlighted the need for working-class white people to be further understood, Roseanne just served to further normalize the bigotry that gets dressed up as “economic anxiety.”

Satire from The Borowitz Report

Trump Addresses Rally of Ambien Users

borowitz-andy.png

By Andy Borowitz The New Yorker

May 30, 2018

Borowitz-Trump-Nashville.jpg

Photograph by Drew Angerer / Getty

NASHVILLE (The Borowitz Report)—Donald J. Trump held a rally in Nashville on Tuesday night and addressed his most ardent supporters, people who take the sleep medication known as Ambien.

Trump served up a hefty helping of fiery rhetoric guaranteed to appeal to Ambien users, whose votes propelled him to the White House, in 2016.

Trump defended his use of the word “animals” to describe some undocumented immigrants, earning a huge ovation from the Ambien-dosed crowd.

He also said that Mexico would pay for a wall on its border with the U.S., a claim that he has repeatedly made while under the influence of Ambien.

Although some have criticized Trump for using code words and dog whistles guaranteed to appeal to the worst instincts of his Ambien-using base, Carol Foyler, who attended the Nashville rally, disagreed.

“Donald Trump says what I think when I’m messed up on Ambien,” she said.

“What @TheRealRoseanne said is indefensible, but angrily attacking a woman who is obviously not well does no good for anyone,” Jimmy Kimmel tweeted. “Please take a breath and remember that mental health issues are real. The Roseanne I know could probably use some compassion and help right now.”

Good for Kimmel. I dislike Roseanne, but she needs some real friends right now.

She's been hospitalized multiple times for mental issues, the first time after a traumatic head injury. I do question to what extent one can expect reasonable behavior from her.

That's what I've been saying, girl needs help for her mental issues. People need to quit wanting to lynch her/make an example out of her just because of her political affiliation. Especially when liberal darlings like Bill Maher, Joy Reid, & others have said racist, homophobic, islamophobic shit before & got a free pass from the media & their supporters. #Hypocrisy

That's what I've been saying, girl needs help for her mental issues. People need to quit wanting to lynch her/make an example out of her just because of her political affiliation.

@Corporate Shill:

In the tweet, Barr wrote that Jarrett, an African-American born in Iran, was the product of the Muslim Brotherhood and "Planet of the Apes."

Adding "Planet of the Apes" about an African-American is unrelated to Barr's political affiliation.

@Corporate Shill:

In the tweet, Barr wrote that Jarrett, an African-American born in Iran, was the product of the Muslim Brotherhood and "Planet of the Apes."

Adding "Planet of the Apes" about an African-American is unrelated to Barr's political affiliation.

Right. The only "person" taking account of political affiliation is trump, who, when Roseanne was canned for her comment, immediately went into "what about me" mode, without ever ever ever addressing the racial ugliness involved. Fucking ungrateful asshole.

I can't speak to Maher, who I really don't follow that much. I can speak to Joy Reid, who used a good portion of her Saturday show not long ago to offer not just an apology for her homophobic comments, but a panel discussion of the issues involved. She not only seemed seriously contrite, but also entirely interested in discussing and exploring her faux-pas (or, faugh-paugh as a friend of mine used to think it was spelled).

To contrast, when Roseanne didn't get the fuzzy warm responses after her initial apology (clearly she felt entitled to that), she fell apart again, blaming her Ambien and her co-stars and seemingly everything else EXCEPT herself. She had to be the hapless victim, the poor defenseless little girl who everyone was picking on. As if the initial apology meant bupkis, which I now really think is the case. The only thing she's sorry for is that she got called out - not so much for hurting so many people with what she said, or for putting her coworkers out of a job, etc. Like trump, it's not "I'm so sorry," it's become another round of "what about me?"

ANYONE can say rotten, ugly things. It's how you graciously try to mend things afterwards that can matter so much. Roseanne, like her favorite fan trump, is incapable of that. It has nothing to do with her politics. It has to do with her (utter lack of) class and humility. And I refuse to blame all of that on any mental issues. If she knows she can't be in control of her utterances, she shouldn't be using social media. And notice that after saying she was going off twitter, she came right back, with a vengeance to rival trump's. #growthefuckupalready.

Edited by bostonman

She’s still begging, via this tweet today: “I begged Ben Sherwood at ABC 2 let me apologize & make amends. I begged them not to cancel the show. I told them I was willing to do anything & asked 4 help in making things right.”

Oh, and she said she thought Valerie Jarrett was white. Maybe that was the Ambien part.

That's what I've been saying, girl needs help for her mental issues. People need to quit wanting to lynch her/make an example out of her just because of her political affiliation. Especially when liberal darlings like Bill Maher, Joy Reid, & others have said racist, homophobic, islamophobic shit before & got a free pass from the media & their supporters. #Hypocrisy

Snap out of it, fool. "Liberal darlings" should get a pass. They make human mistakes, but they don't support a bigoted conman. Roseanne is a loud supporter of a racist president* and hurled a racist slur against an African American.

Scr*w your holier-than-thou hypocrisy. You need to learn some humility.

Pick an argument. Does Barr get a pass because you believe her inappropriate racial and political tweets are a result of mental illness, or because everyone gets a pass and we no longer have standards?

That's what I've been saying, girl needs help for her mental issues. People need to quit wanting to lynch her/make an example out of her just because of her political affiliation ...

No one wants to lynch her, @Corporate Shill. Most of us would like less public spectacle, not more.

Which would have been a good reason for not putting her back on the air to begin with. Where was your concern about "girl needs help for her mental health issues" back on March 27 when you started this thread and were looking forward to having her back on TV?

She didn't just get nuts. That didn't just happen.

Treatment, not television, would have been a better idea right along.

Where was your concern about "girl needs help for her mental health issues" back on March 27 when you started this thread and were looking forward to having her back on TV?

@Corporate Shill was thrilled Roseanne was coming back to TV precisely because she is a MAGA conspiracy theory loon.

"She can do whatever the hell she wants" SHill trilled in his OP post. No, she can't.

She was responsible for the hiring of hundreds of workers for her show, and now they are all screwed by that kind of MAGA -- and libertarian -- insanity:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-roseanne-crew-20180531-story.html

She's also more anti-Clinton than pro-Trump. Some of her comments on Hillary have been a bit OTT, but there's a lot of truth to what she says as well. I fully agree with this particular righteous statement for example:

I agree with Shill concerning, "Some of her comments on Hillary have been a bit OTT...............";);)

I fully agree with this particular righteous statement for example:

“Hillary owns the press…people in this country are not allowed to say anything except for that they love Hillary, or they’ll be harassed, especially on social media, until they leave or hang their head in shame…Because if you don’t endorse Hillary, then you’re anti-American, a racist, a sexist, or whatever names her robots throw around.”

As a victim of rabid Clinton loons on social media, I know she's 100% right. They are unbearable, & a lot of them are paid shills & bots.

You agree with that because you are stupid. A.) "the press" is not social media. B.) Hillary has been abused by the press for decades.

Many of the male journalists who stand accused of sexual harassment were on the forefront of covering the presidential race between Hillary and Trump. Matt Lauer interviewed them in an official “commander-in-chief forum” for NBC. He notoriously peppered and interrupted Clinton with cold, aggressive, condescending questions hyper-focused on her emails, only to pitch softballs at Spanky and treat him with gentle collegiality a half-hour later.

Mark Halperin and Charlie Rose set much of the televised political discourse on the race, interviewing other pundits, opining themselves and obsessing over the electoral play-by-play. Rose, after the election, took a tone similar Lauer’s with Clinton — talking down to her, interrupting her, portraying her as untrustworthy. Halperin was a harsh critic of Clinton, painting her as ruthless and corrupt, while going easy on Spanky, who actually is corrupt. Glenn Thrush, currently on leave from The New York Times because of sexual harassment allegations, covered Clinton’s 2008 campaign when he was at Newsday and continued to write about her over the next eight years for Politico. A pervasive theme of all of these men’s coverage of Clinton was that she was dishonest and unlikable.

These recent harassment allegations suggest that perhaps the problem wasn’t that Clinton was untruthful or inherently hard to connect with, but that these particular men hold deep biases against women who seek power instead of sticking to acquiescent sex-object status. You know, Shill; sort of like you.

You agree with that because you are stupid. A.) "the press" is not social media. B.) Hillary has been abused by the press for decades.

The kindest explanation for Shill: He was not interested in politics at all until recently. Even Trump is slightly better informed.

Edited by WilliamM

Girl hasn't stopped tweeting after saying she was leaving twitter early in the day lol, very amusing to see just how defiant & unhinged she really is...

I'm still not sure how I feel about all of this... I am NOT ok with them pulling the original show's re-runs off the air, why punish us, the viewers, for her racist tweet & the overreaction to it?????? She had said a bunch of racist, zionist, & anti-semetic things for years, & all of the sudden, the hammer came down on her today?????? This clearly wasn't just about racism, it was about her going after Chelsea Clinton & Valerie Jarret, two people close to the Clintons & the Obamas.

Calling a black person a monkey is not about racism?

Damn, your perception of the world is just not accurate. I hope you never sing up to be a juror.

Calling a black person a monkey is not about racism?

Damn, your perception of the world is just not accurate. I hope you never sing up to be a juror.

I said it wasn't just about racism, don't twist my words because you disagree with what I said.

ABC knew about all of her past racist/anti-semetic/islamophobic/crazy tweets for months & never did anything about it until she went after 2 people close to powerful members of the establishment on the same day.

In fact, a similar incident happened 3 years ago where a Univision host made basically the same racist "joke" about Michelle Obama. He apologized, had many of his colleagues defend him & everything... then MO's people got in contact with Univision/Disney execs & they immediately fired him despite being one their rising stars on the channel.

The former “Sal Y Pimienta” host also said his dismissal was a direct result of a complaint by the first lady’s office to the network and that Univision publicly humiliated him.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6859434

The Clintons also have a long history of getting people critical of them & their corrupt neoliberal policies fired from TV. David Schuster (another rising star on TV at the time) said something negative about Chelsea during the '08 campaign & NBC immediately punished him, eventually fired him. We later found out that the Clintons had asked NBC execs to fire him. I mean, the Clintons got Ed Shultz fired simply for supporting Hillary's opponent in the '16 campaign lol