Perth to London Direct Flight

purplekow
This topic is 2051 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to do IAH-HKG almost every month for about a year. That was 17-17.5 hrs in flight, depending on weather and tarmac traffic. Long haul for sure. It took some getting used to.

Out of DFW, I've done the DBX nonstop a few times on Emirates. That's only about 14.5-15 hrs. Emirates makes it feel a lot quicker with their awesome seats and service. I'm still a little bummed they downgraded it from an A380 to a 777.

The DFW-SYD on Qantas was (or still might be, not sure) the longest flight in the world. It's also now the only A380 flight going out of DFW on a regular basis.

Never.

Just got back from a direct flight to Asia.

15 hours going...12 hours back.

Even in First Class....it was murder.

Strangely enough the 12 hours back screwed me up the most.

Proceeded to cross Australia off my “must see” list as soon as I landed.

Very little is worth suffering that kind of torture. I’d still consider a

long haul that stayed in close to the same time zone (e.g. NYC-Rio),

or hopscotching my way, but no marathons across time zones again.

Longest flight I've been on was EWR to NRT, about 14 hours. Was lucky, lots of empty seats in Business class, so didn't feel claustrophobic, and back then, I still smoked, and smoking was still allowed on international flights.

Today, 17 hours on a cramped flight, I'm sure I'd have to get some Rx from my doctor, and if I were stuck in coach, forget it. Just wont go. Not because I'm a snob about sitting in coach, but it just gets to me sitting there for more than few hours. When I fly coach, an aisle seat or look for another flight.

I used to do IAH-HKG almost every month for about a year. That was 17-17.5 hrs in flight, depending on weather and tarmac traffic. Long haul for sure. It took some getting used to.

Out of DFW, I've done the DBX nonstop a few times on Emirates. That's only about 14.5-15 hrs. Emirates makes it feel a lot quicker with their awesome seats and service. I'm still a little bummed they downgraded it from an A380 to a 777.

The DFW-SYD on Qantas was (or still might be, not sure) the longest flight in the world. It's also now the only A380 flight going out of DFW on a regular basis.

This one is being touted as the longest flight. They did show the inside of the plane which has a nice lounge. They did not state the price of the tickets though.

i do NYC - Bangkok at least once a year - i used to try to do it is "quickly" as possible, meaning like 21 hours or so in a plane... now i have discovered the wonders of what may seem to other travelers undesirable routings that require long layovers en route

this summer i found a way to get there that gives me an overnight in paris - that, along with my good pal Ambien, make the journey less than pure torture!

I flew to Sydney from LA once in first class on United. I was wider than the stupid pod so had to keep my arms crossed while lying down and didn't get any sleep. My back was a wreck to the point it pretty much ruined the trip.

If I ever go to Australia again it will be from Hawaii or some other point that is closer.

I was wider than the stupid pod so had to keep my arms crossed while lying down and didn't get any sleep.

Agree. I'm a wider guy too. Seats are getting more narrow, even in First and Business. Last time I flew Chicago to Maui on UA, had a seat on a 2 cabin 777 old configuration 2-3-2 in F class. Comfortable, with foot rest, but didn't lie flat. The return flight was new configuration 2-4-2. They did lie flat, but they're more narrow, squashed in, almost like coach, so not as comfortable. I like the old configuration better. I may have to consider a connection next time, or something else to avoid the new configuration.

I traveled frequently LAX-BKK for business. My first trip was in 1977 and my flight on China Airlines was LA- Honolulu- Tokyo-Taipei, overnight in Taipei (Mandarin Hotel at the Airline's expense), Taipei- Hong Kong- Bangkok. If I remember correctly I left on Friday night and arrived on Tuesday afternoon. When Thai began direct flights with no change of planes and a 2 hour stop in Osaka it was pretty good and the break in the journey was good. Back in the early 2000's Thai Airways began nonstop service LAX-BKK on an A340-500. The flight was 18 + hours and seemed interminable. I did it twice, and then said never again. I guess others felt the same way. They dropped the service a few years later.

It is listed as sixth longest (great circle route). The longest was, and still is Doha - Auckland, followed by PER-LHR, AKL-DBX (EQ), LAX-SIN (UA) and IAH-SYD (UA). Qantas claim PER-LHR is only the third longest. Qantas touts its seating on the 787s as less crowded than other carriers, and IIRC it has longer seat pitch in economy. Part of the reason for fewer seats is that they have 42 business and 28 premium economy, so there's less space for economy. Seventeen hours is a long haul. I've flown SYD-DFW in economy on the A380 and survived, it wasn't too bad but I'd prefer to avoid it if I can. I've been to the US twice in the last couple of years and the other three trans-Pacific flights were SYD-SFO, SFO-SYD and LAX-MEL (all B747), two of which were in premium economy (points upgrade not cash), and they were good.

If I ever go to Australia again it will be from Hawaii or some other point that is closer.

If you want a serious break Hawaii is the best bet (if you're flying from NYC, HNL-SYD is the longer flight). Fiji Airways (stop or stopover in Fiji) is also an option. If you just want a flight that lands so you can stretch your legs, there is also Air Tahiti Nui that flies LAX-Papeete-AKL, then QF or NZ on to Sydney or Melbourne.

this video (late 2016) says New Delhi to San Francisco is the, currently, longest flight:

Yes, that's an anomaly. It can be the longest flight if they fly eastwards (15,000km) rather than polar/westward (12,395km). The route it takes depends on tail winds (eastwards). That must be the one Qantas was referring to in their media release yesterday as well.

[A quirk I should have mentioned to go with my comment about NYC-HNL and HNL-SYD is that SYD-SFO is shorter than SYD-LAX.]

I live in Ft.Lauderdale and Bangkok. I do this flight several times a year. I figure from door to door it’s about 30 hours. 3 flights. Longest is Dallas to Hong Kong at between 16-17 hours, depending on winds. Good book, downloaded movies, I’ve just gotten used to it, but it is a long trip.

17 hours in the air. Seems interminable for me since I am a nervous flyer. Anyone think this is a flight they might consider? Besides Tristan Baldwin who practically lives on airplanes.

Never! 5-6hours is my limit and that is with Xanax/Book/Movie/Music/Raisins/Cocktails

Id have to fly in stages - stay over a day or two somewhere else to see --- and then Gird my Loins for the next leg of the journey, 5-6 hours, repeat.

I live in Perth, the most isolated city in the world, so I am used to long distance flying. I've flown to New York a few times in the last couple of years, going via Hong Kong or the Middle East. Either way involves an initial flight of about 8 hours (Perth/Hong Kong or Perth/Dubai). The second leg of about 15 hours to New York is a lot longer. In all it takes about 24 hours. It's doable, although it usually takes me about a week to get over the jet lag.

The extra 2 hours to fly to London wouldn't be much worse, and you'd avoid the time waiting for the connecting flight. I once had to spend 8 hours in Hong Kong airport because the flight from Perth was delayed and I missed the connection.

BTW, I think it's an excellent idea that Tristan Baldwin should take the flight to Perth and give you all an independent report. Tristan, if you read this, Google "quokka", something everyone should see at least once. :)

The extra 2 hours to fly to London wouldn't be much worse, and you'd avoid the time waiting for the connecting flight.

I agree, once you're on board for a long haul flight, you might as well stay there. I'm 1.87m and for me SYD-DFW was not much more onerous than SYD-SFO, although I can understand if, for whatever reason six hours is a hard limit to exceed. And, on QF anything above economy gives you enough space and comfort to manage it.

I flew to Sydney from LA once in first class on United. I was wider than the stupid pod so had to keep my arms crossed while lying down and didn't get any sleep. My back was a wreck to the point it pretty much ruined the trip.

I've done that both ways. Not sure it is closer and sure doesn't seem like it is. Even breaking a day in HNL on the return, the jet lag was just as bad. The return flight completely screws me up for a week.

I live in Ft.Lauderdale and Bangkok. I do this flight several times a year. I figure from door to door it’s about 30 hours. 3 flights. Longest is Dallas to Hong Kong at between 16-17 hours, depending on winds. Good book, downloaded movies, I’ve just gotten used to it, but it is a long trip.

I to am in FTL. Have not made that run from the east coast yet. Curious what airline are you flying, and are you in coach or business. Can PM if you prefer.

Edited by bigvalboy