Headlights: random question that's been annoyoing me

Kevin Slater
This topic is 2261 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I haven't owned a car in years, so I'll ask the collective wisdom here:

Lately, I cannot step out of the house at night without seeing at least one car with one headlight out. Like every fucking time I go out. Recently, I pointed it out to a couple cars and the driver does something and the headlight mysteriously goes on. It doesn't look like they just turn on their high beams. Is there an option to selectively turn on just one of your headlights? If so, why?

Kevin Slater

I haven't found that feature in my car - yet. However, when I was in college, one of my headlights went out, but both would work if I switched to my high beams.

Yeah, it doesn't look like they're just turning on their high beams. But if so, that raises the question of why so many cars are driving around with one low beam out.

Kevin Slater

I know some newer, high end cars have a feature which allows the parking lights on the street side of the car to remain on after you park. The idea is that it is easier to see the edge of your car and thereby reduce the potential that someone would clip your car. Maybe this effects the headlights as well?

Yeah, it doesn't look like they're just turning on their high beams. But if so, that raises the question of why so many cars are driving around with one low beam out.

Kevin Slater

My guess is the cost of replacing a headlamp has increased and so owners are not having them replaced, especially in places like NYC where the cops don't bother handing out citations. Here in Arizona, where you will get pulled over if the expression on your face signals you might have sped one time in the distant past, people have two headlights.

I know some newer, high end cars have a feature which allows the parking lights on the street side of the car to remain on after you park. The idea is that it is easier to see the edge of your car and thereby reduce the potential that someone would clip your car. Maybe this effects the headlights as well?

I think something like this is what I was looking for. The actual case or not, it lets me stop wondering. :)

Kevin Slater

I got pulled over once, not for a headlight but for an extinguised taillight.

I dove into the glove box to find the registration. In the process, I threw about 15-20 syringes into the back seat: lidocaine (for starting IV's); atropine (to get patient's hearts to go faster); succinyl choline (to help with intubation); the usual shit. You know, you've been relieved; you just put everything in your scrubs into your civvies, and then leave. And then put them all in the glove box.

Never did find the registration.

The policeman knocked on my window:

"License and registration?"

"Sir, I can't find my registration."

"That's okay, sir, I just want you to know that your tail light is out. People don't always know that."

"Thank you, Sir."

Fortunately, he failed to notice that my inspection sticker was expired for six months.

God smiles on we fools.

I haven't owned a car in years, so I'll ask the collective wisdom here:

Lately, I cannot step out of the house at night without seeing at least one car with one headlight out. Like every fucking time I go out. Recently, I pointed it out to a couple cars and the driver does something and the headlight mysteriously goes on. It doesn't look like they just turn on their high beams. Is there an option to selectively turn on just one of your headlights? If so, why?

Kevin Slater

Never heard of such a function and don’t know why a car manufacturer would waste time on it. BUT headlights are much more efficient than they used to be and drivers may be less likely to realize that a light is out, especially in a city with lots of other light.

My Mercedes E-class estate had a setting on the headlamp switch to leave the park lamps on on the side of the car which was away from the curb, it was to the left of the "off" setting. But, it was only park lamps, not headlamps. I think the car companies just get the cheapest parts they can, and they fail a lot faster than the old "sealed beam" glass lamps your mom's Country Squire had.

As someone who would rather change the whole headlight assembly, instead of using those headlight restore kits...

Kevin Slater

Because in New York City, I'd imagine there's so much light...one can get away with not ever changing out their headlights or realizing how halogen bulbs dim overtime lol. However, cars nowadays are using xenon, or other type of beams beside halogen. Those can be trickier to replace. Then you have the daytime running lamps, usually standard in Canadian spec vehicles. If a car has a separate bulb for high/low or daylight/regular....it could make a difference. My cars have the same bulb for both high and low beam, just a different filament on the inside.

Now, if the light is off and they do "something"...it may be a lose connection in the wiring, usually from either a previous accident or a short. Tinkering with it can help it turn back on.

My guess is the cost of replacing a headlamp has increased and so owners are not having them replaced, especially in places like NYC where the cops don't bother handing out citations. Here in Arizona, where you will get pulled over if the expression on your face signals you might have sped one time in the distant past, people have two headlights.

I carry spare headlight bulbs on road trips. Then switch in pairs with the new ones the next day. Last thing I need, is to be way out between Flagstaff and Albuquerque with 1 headlight. I use extra bright bulbs, but not the super bright ones. Those burn out faster. That's the catch. Atleast once a year, one headlight (always at night) burns out, requiring quick replacement. Fortunately, it's a quick 5 minute job for me.

Here in Arizona, where you will get pulled over if the expression on your face signals you might have sped one time in the distant past, people have two headlights.

Having traveled most all the 48 states, you can get pulled over anywhere, anytime, for any reason. I don't want to say cops are assholes, but cops are assholes. But considering how many outright reckless drivers there are, espedially in Florida, I applaud them for being assholes.

It's worse when you get pulled over by Highway patrol . Nevada. Florida. Tennessee. Kansas. Texas. Minnesota. Michigan. Been pulled over in all of them, sometimes more than once: usually for ridiculous stuff like going 3 mph over the limit or "running a yellow light". Only got a ticket in 1: Texas. Amazingly, I never got pulled over in Arizona. Guess they look for more Mexican types. But I wouldn't want to find out.

I had a light burnt out last year while visiting Detroit, on my way to the gym. I stood out in the cold to fix it, to avoid getting pulled over. Well, I was only 1 block from the hotel and the damn light went from YELLOW to RED faster than I could brake, but I made it thru. STILL Got pulled over, claiming I went thru the light. Yes I did. It was yellow when I hit the point of no return. Especially on icy road condition. Son of a...fortunately I played it nice and didn't get a ticket though.

Edited by Mocha

FWIW...There is no setting that allows you to turn off one headlamp. While it is true that most Mercedes allow you to illuminate the left parking lights and rear left tail light when parked, that feature is to the left of the off switch and disengages once the lights are turned on. I rarely see cars with one headlight on. Changing headlamps on many newer cars is a pain in the rear. Some can be accessed from the engine compartment, but some have to be placed on a car lift, because the only access is from underneath. On my car, when changing bulbs, I can barely access the left headlamp, and only after 20 min of cussing. The right lamp in only accessible from underneath the car, and it has to be on a lift, but I haven't changed headlamps in years.

Edited by bigvalboy