Do You Like Avocados?

Avalon
This topic is 1780 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. I know this is very elementary. I like avocado. However, I have never actually bought an avocado in the grocery store so have so idea how to tell if it is ripe or not (the perennial melon dilemma) or if I buy an unripe one how long to keep it until it will be ripe?

OK. I know this is very elementary. I like avocado. However, I have never actually bought an avocado in the grocery store so have so idea how to tell if it is ripe or not (the perennial melon dilemma) or if I buy an unripe one how long to keep it until it will be ripe?

You want them firm to hard. (and stop with the puns, before they get started). They will soften over a few days, best eaten (IMHO) when firm to a tiny bit soft. When they get squishy they're pretty much bad.

Not a huge fan of guacamole but I love avocados on its own. I did grew up with it. My aunt had a couple of trees growing in her yard so it was always convenient to just visit and pick as many as I wanted. All natural and free. It’s so hyped up here in the US, avocados I mean. All I cared about was that it tasted good. I’m sure all the nutritional benefits are true as they claim but people didn’t really cared for that info back then.

Not a huge fan of guacamole but I love avocados on its own. I did grew up with it. My aunt had a couple of trees growing in her yard so it was always convenient to just visit and pick as many as I wanted. All natural and free. It’s so hyped up here in the US, avocados I mean. All I cared about was that it tasted good. I’m sure all the nutritional benefits are true as they claim but people didn’t really cared for that info back then.

Guacamole Ingredients

• 3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
  • 1 clove garlic, minced

I love everything in guacamole except the avocados and the jalapeño.

Gman

Mo

Guacamole Ingredients

• 1 lime, juiced
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1 clove garlic, minced

Gman

More Cilantro and NEVER any cumin

Guacamole Ingredients

• 1 lime, juiced
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1 clove garlic, minced

Gman

There’s no “recipe” for guacamole :eek:;) I mash some avocados, add some salt and acid (lime, lemon, vinegar, whatever’s handy) and season to taste from there.

And no measuring! And please...NO mayo or sour cream, not sure where those spoilers got added to some people’s guacamole process.

• 10 months later...

Holy guacamole! You can finally live in an avocado.

A new “Avo-Condo,” aka an avocado-shaped camper, is available on Booking.com for the equivalent of only $70 USD per night.

Located in Campbell’s Cove Lookout in Sydney, Australia, this “once in a lifetime opportunity” is unfortunately only available between July 31 (National Avocado Day) and Aug. 1.

But for that brief time, the debate between housing and enjoying avocados — the Sophie’s choice of the millennial generation — will be solved.

The “custom-built, self-contained avocado-themed condo” can house two guests and “will be filled with avo-inspired decorations to make this a truly unforgettable place to stay,” according to the listings.

Better still, the camper will be filled with “a personal hamper full of avocado-themed goodies!”

But act fast, as the great avocado is available on a first come, first served basis.

What can we say? Avocado’s are all the rage right now. In fact, this is the latest in a string of headline-making appearances for avocados.

Toast smeared with the fruit is being hyped as an amenity at a condo development in Vancouver, Canada. One fan even used the creamy green delight as his weapon of choice during a pair of wacky “armed” bank robberies in Beersheba, Israel.

booking.com-avocondo-render-1.jpg

booking.com-avocondo-render-2.jpg

1736516.gif

There’s no “recipe” for guacamole :eek:;) I mash some avocados, add some salt and acid (lime, lemon, vinegar, whatever’s handy) and season to taste from there.

And no measuring! And please...NO mayo or sour cream, not sure where those spoilers got added to some people’s guacamole process.

I would also add chopped red onions and cilantro.