I’m Not Saying It’s The Best Pizza In The World

Gar1eth
This topic is 1810 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Once in the proverbial blue moon, I get a taste for a BK Whopper...(flame-broiled seems OK, health-wise).....w/a milkshake....but have never tried their fries.....Wendy's - oui, have had their burgers but not in the last 20 or so years....Jack in the Box - same thing....20+ years ago or so & then only their tacos a couple times which I quickly decided were crap....I know some of those places also have salads on their menus but I've never been there for those either....re McDonald's - no never for anything.....really.....once I made it to college without ever having been, I made a conscious, inward decision to keep that streak unbroken for my lifetime.....fast food joints in general just don't enter my thoughts as options much at all.....a few chicken joint "visits" over the years but way too few to seriously count....KFC chicken makes my stomach feel "queasy" (I dunno - maybe from the grease)....never been to Popeye's.....I really like Mexican & did have a Taco Bell phase....but decided that was crap too a long time ago.....for fast food Mexican - "Filiberto's" in Scottsdale/Phoenix = acceptable occasionally.....In&Out Burger - another once in a blue moon thing but not a rabid fan like some other folks.....my time in Chicago - enjoyed both - some of the Italian Beef & the Gyros joints.....Gold Coast Dogs - not for their hot dogs but for their BBQ beef & their super crispy fries...

I've had McD's twice in my life.

Once was simply for the Shamrock Shake. Once was enough.

We obviously do live in different Americas. I grew up as part of the Middle America Economic Zone. But we were probably towards the middle to lower portion of the zone when I was younger. My Mom was reminiscing awhile back. My Dad was a traveling (by car) salesman. For a large part of my early years, he was often gone probably at least 3 to 4 days a week-although maybe not every week. Mom was telling me that sometimes when Dad was gone as a treat for us, she’d use the money she got back from returning Coke bottles to take us to McDonalds. Mom said she would order a hamburger, fries, and a drink for herself, my sister, and me. And she would order my brother two hamburgers or possibly a Big Mac. Quarter Pounders wouldn’t be invented for years and years at that point.

Twelve years later when I was in high school, we had an open campus for lunch. My senior year I’m not sure if I ever ate in the school cafeteria. If I did, it was probably less than 20 times. For the most part two of my friends and I went out daily. We would take turns driving as we all had cars. We had to be quick as we only had about 30 to 45 minutes. Luckily our school was right off a main street. We mainly seemed to gravitate to McDonald’s. We occasionally went elsewhere. I can remember going to Grandy’s at least once, and a local Chinese place at least once. But it was mainly McDonald’s. I’ll admit I did get sick of it towards the end. During my first year or so in college I did try to avoid it. But by the end of college, I definitely ate there.

I also ate there in grad school. And I go there now. I like Jack in the Box and KFC as well as many other fast food places too. Now I’m not saying my diet is good -far from it. But I did grow up eating the stuff too. And while of course anything I say will be excuses, when I was working and a productive member of society, my life was very chaotic. I didn’t really have the discipline or inclination to cook. So I still ate out a lot or went to fast food places.

And of course this partially explains why I have my current Santa Claus physique (the other part being I’m non-athletic and don’t enjoy exercising at all-the old adage about finding something you like doesn’t really work well when there’s nothing you like), and why, for example, @Benjamin_Nicholas or @Rudynate doesn’t.

Gman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Their Wabash location is one I've been going to since I was a kid. Their crinkle-cut fries rock.

Mmmmm - Gold Coast Dogs! I agree, their hot dogs are not the greatest, but the barbeque beef is very good. My last downtown office was at Dearborn and Madison and every other week or so I'd walk down to Gold Coast Dogs. It helps that I walk a twelve minute mile. :)

We obviously do live in different Americas. I grew up as part of the Middle America Economic Zone....

Gman

I grew up in Chicago and we had very little money. Therefore, any form of eating out was a treat. We went to McDonald's once a month to use our McDonald's calendar coupons when our folks couldn't stand our whining about wanting McDonald's. Interestingly, neither my brother nor I actually liked the food, but we liked the concept. And the french fries. During Lent, dad would take us to the McDonald's near our school on Friday for Filet-o-Fish sandwiches, a small fry, and diet 7-up. (For some reason, we observed eating fish on Friday but didn't observe attending church)

As an adult, I rarely eat at McDonald's. When I do it is for breakfast or to satisfy a craving for their french fries. I always order them salt free so they are fresh and add salt after receiving the order.

During Lent, dad would take us to the McDonald's near our school on Friday for Filet-o-Fish sandwiches, a small fry, and diet 7-up. (For some reason, we observed eating fish on Friday but didn't observe attending church)

Haha sounds much like my Lenten household....today!!!!

I don’t remember McD’s having diet 7-up, but I know corporate does allow small regional menu variances

Haha sounds much like my Lenten household....today!!!!

I don’t remember McD’s having diet 7-up, but I know corporate does allow small regional menu variances

I remember my Catholic schoolboy days when my family would occasionally go out to McDonalds during Lent for Filet O'Fish sandwiches. I thought it was kind of weird going to McDonalds & not ordering hamburgers. Little did I know that McDonalds reports that 25% of Filet O'Fish sandwiches sold in a year are ordered during Lent. Apparently the sandwich was developed back in the 1960s when a franchisee noticed he was losing Catholic customers on Fridays because McDonalds was selling only burgers back then.

I hate McD's burgers. They taste weird, can't quite put my finger on it, but it's probably better not to think too much about it. But I do like the Fillet O'Fish. It's a total guilty pleasure.

Mmmmm - Gold Coast Dogs! I agree, their hot dogs are not the greatest, but the barbeque beef is very good. My last downtown office was at Dearborn and Madison and every other week or so I'd walk down to Gold Coast Dogs. It helps that I walk a twelve minute mile. :)

I grew up in Chicago and we had very little money. Therefore, any form of eating out was a treat. We went to McDonald's once a month to use our McDonald's calendar coupons when our folks couldn't stand our whining about wanting McDonald's. Interestingly, neither my brother nor I actually liked the food, but we liked the concept. And the french fries. During Lent, dad would take us to the McDonald's near our school on Friday for Filet-o-Fish sandwiches, a small fry, and diet 7-up. (For some reason, we observed eating fish on Friday but didn't observe attending church)

As an adult, I rarely eat at McDonald's. When I do it is for breakfast or to satisfy a craving for their french fries. I always order them salt free so they are fresh and add salt after receiving the order.

That’s a really good idea about asking for the fries with no salt. But do you think their fries taste as good as they used to? And I’m not talking about the way some things used to taste better when we were kids. I’m wondering since they changed their frying oil to take out the trans fat whether they did something else too, or whether you need trans fat to make them taste as they used to. I’ve also noticed that once they cool down they are as hard as rocks.

Gman

That’s a really good idea about asking for the fries with no salt. But do you think their fries taste as good as they used to? And I’m not talking about the way some things used to taste better when we were kids. I’m wondering since they changed their frying oil to take out the trans fat whether they did something else too, or whether you need trans fat to make them taste as they used to. I’ve also noticed that once they cool down they are as hard as rocks.

Gman

Before taking out the trans fats they used to fry in shortening and the fries were coated with a beef fat/beef extract. Since they stopped doing that, they do not taste the same as they used to.

Before taking out the trans fats they used to fry in shortening and the fries were coated with a beef fat/beef extract. Since they stopped doing that, they do not taste the same as they used to.

Mmmmmmm, I miss that flavor. And @rvwnsd you are correct. Potatoes from Ore Ida, Simplot and most major processors wtould blanche potatoes in a beef/fat/tallow before freezing.

Then....at the restaurants a beef/tallow enhanced shortening would be used to fry these delicious spuds!

Oh, and never, ever give me fries that have been sprayed with cornstarch/flavor enhancers. Many chains have tried these...they are superior for staying crispy longer in the bag/box, and external spices and flavors can be added. But they turn me off, horrible texture, rough tongue/mouth feel. A few major chains have tried and failed at these as their mainline fries.

Mmmmmmm, I miss that flavor. And @rvwnsd you are correct. Potatoes from Ore Ida, Simplot and most major processors wtould blanche potatoes in a beef/fat/tallow before freezing.

Then....at the restaurants a beef/tallow enhanced shortening would be used to fry these delicious spuds!

Oh, and never, ever give me fries that have been sprayed with cornstarch/flavor enhancers. Many chains have tried these...they are superior for staying crispy longer in the bag/box, and external spices and flavors can be added. But they turn me off, horrible texture, rough tongue/mouth feel. A few major chains have tried and failed at these as their mainline fries.

I personally am not that fond of McDonald’s fries at the moment. Often they come to you incredibly hot. I’m not much for putting hot (temperature-wise) things in my mouth. I’ve never been a hot coffee aficionado. I do like tea, but not steaming. And as I mentioned above if you let the fries cool even slightly, they’re usually as hard as rocks. And even before they cool, they seem harder/more stale tasting than they did in the old days.

Gman

I personally am not that fond of McDonald’s fries at the moment. Often they come to you incredibly hot. I’m not much for putting hot (temperature-wise) things in my mouth. I’ve never been a hot coffee aficionado. I do like tea, but not steaming. And as I mentioned above if you let the fries cool even slightly, they’re usually as hard as rocks. And even before they cool, they seem harder/more stale tasting than they did in the old days.

Gman

Well if I've missed the chance to try their fries as they tasted back in the day, I see no reason to ever change my conviction to never enter a Mickey D's in my own lifetime.....my only (really, really distant) connection to the chain - Joan Kroc owned a couple of condos as investments in Coronado (San Diego) in the same building where my grandma lived......(other absentee owner / investors were some really wealthy Mexican families.....the garage of that building had lots of hugely pricey cars that those folks kept parked / stored there).

My parents were extremely frugal Swedes and so we rarely ate anything that wasn't prepared at home. On the very rare occasion they picked up a pizza, that was such a treat. We 5 boys surrounded the pizzas like a pack of starving dogs. :cool:

We did have one authentic Italian restaurant nearby but for some reason we were in love with Pizza Hut. These days I'd never bother with pizza unless it's more authentic, and not from a franchise. There isn't much good pizza where I live. For really good food including pizza I think of Chicago and out east. Where I live now folks are not all that picky about their cuisine, especially pizza

Growing up in the 60's, a trip to McDonalds was a rare treat, and we had to drive about 4 or 5 miles to the nearest one.

A friend went to college at Michigan Tech in the late 70's / early 80's, and I didn't fully realize how remote Houghton, Michigan was until he told me the nearest McDonald's was in Marquette, about an hour and a half away.

A friend went to college at Michigan Tech in the late 70's / early 80's, and I didn't fully realize how remote Houghton, Michigan was until he told me the nearest McDonald's was in Marquette, about an hour and a half away.

everything's up to date in Houghton!.........residents and students may safely breath a sigh of relief now!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mcdonalds-houghton

Edited by azdr0710

Growing up in the 60's, a trip to McDonalds was a rare treat, and we had to drive about 4 or 5 miles to the nearest one.

When I lived in Madison, Wi a Madison friend of mine whom I had also known in Texas developed a hankering for Baskin Robbins. One weekend we drove the 75 miles into Rockford, IL for the shop there.

Gman

• 6 months later...
I’ve pretty much always hated Domino’s... I decided I’d look and see what they offered these days... But it was definitely edible.

Gman

Domino’s realizes free pizza for life promotion was a bad idea

180905-dominos-pizza-tattoo-promotion-feature.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

Domino’s Pizza in Russia was forced to end a promotion offering fans free pizza for life if they got the brand’s logo tattooed “in a prominent place” on their body after the campaign became too popular.

The promotion was originally advertised to run for two months, starting Aug. 31, but the pizza chain ended it only five days in after its social media was flooded with excited pizza fanatics all proudly displaying their Domino’s tattoos.

The advertisement promised up to 100 free Domino’s pizzas every year for 100 years to anyone who got a tattoo of the company’s logo, posted the photo to social media and proved the authenticity of the ink.

The company clearly was not expecting so many fans to go under the needle for free pizza and ended the promotion Tuesday, announcing only the first 350 people with tattoos will be awarded the special lifetime deal.

Those still in the process were given a deadline.

“An urgent message to all those sitting at the tattoo artist’s right now: We’ll include you in the list of participants, but we’re waiting for photos up to midday today,” Domino’s said in a message on the company’s Vkontakte page.

“To those with appointments scheduled for later, we recommend canceling them,” the company added.

Domino’s realizes free pizza for life promotion was a bad idea

180905-dominos-pizza-tattoo-promotion-feature.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

Domino’s Pizza in Russia was forced to end a promotion offering fans free pizza for life if they got the brand’s logo tattooed “in a prominent place” on their body after the campaign became too popular.

The promotion was originally advertised to run for two months, starting Aug. 31, but the pizza chain ended it only five days in after its social media was flooded with excited pizza fanatics all proudly displaying their Domino’s tattoos.

The advertisement promised up to 100 free Domino’s pizzas every year for 100 years to anyone who got a tattoo of the company’s logo, posted the photo to social media and proved the authenticity of the ink.

The company clearly was not expecting so many fans to go under the needle for free pizza and ended the promotion Tuesday, announcing only the first 350 people with tattoos will be awarded the special lifetime deal.

Those still in the process were given a deadline.

“An urgent message to all those sitting at the tattoo artist’s right now: We’ll include you in the list of participants, but we’re waiting for photos up to midday today,” Domino’s said in a message on the company’s Vkontakte page.

“To those with appointments scheduled for later, we recommend canceling them,” the company added.

I love to eat (as evidenced by my waistline:(). But I don't love any food enough to tattoo myself with the logo or trademark.

Gman

• 8 months later...
I love pizza... But I’ve pretty much always hated Domino’s.

Well tonight I had a coupon for Domino’s. I decided I’d look and see what they offered these days. They now have different crusts. I chose their equivalent to Pizza Hut’s Thin n’ Crispy. And it wasn’t bad. I’m not saying that I like it as well as I like Papa John’s or Pizza Hut. But it was definitely edible.

I don’t like Pizza Hut or Domino’s.

As a native Italian, it's impossible for me to adapt to chains like Domino's, Pizza Hut etc etc. I tried. No way.

The first time I ever had pizza was with an aunt, uncle and cousins in Sydney. It was from one of the first Pizza Huts in Australia. There may have been authentic pizza places here but they were few. My verdict was that pizza was a crap idea. One of the pizzas we had was 'ground beef'. We don't even call it ground beef here, we call it mince, so it was clearly a Pizza Hut transfer. Looking back, a 'mince' pizza was never going to cut it. Several years later, when I was in first year uni, I discovered pizza at an independent pizza restaurant in Canberra. Whether it was authentic was immaterial, it was good.

I read in India Pizza Hut has a Chicken Tikka Masala pizza. I’d really like to try that.

Pizza Hut's Original Pan Pizza has received a makeover.

The company announced Tuesday that its "Original Pan Pizza" is being completely remade, including a new cheese blend, sauce and a "newly engineered" pan for it to be baked in for a crispier crust.

Changes to Pizza Hut's best-known menu item comes as competition tightens with its closest competitors, Domino's and Papa John's. For the first time last year, Domino's had more sales than Pizza Hut. And Pizza Hut last year became the NFL's advertising partner, taking that sought-after title from troubled Papa John's.

Pizza customers aren't a loyal bunch, as people tend to gravitate to the company with the best promotion.

But taste matters too, which is why Domino's scrapped its 49-year-old pizza recipe 10 years ago. It also rolled out new value offerings and technology for customers to track their orders. Earlier this year, Domino's opened its 16,000th store and has grown by nearly 50% over the past five years. Pizza Hut has more than 18,000 restaurants worldwide.

Papa John's is experimenting with sandwiches and new technology as it aims to make up for lost ground from its year of scandals.

Not to be outdone, Pizza Hut is expanding beer delivery program to 1,000 locations by the summer. It also developed insulated pouches designed to keep delivery pizzas up to fifteen degrees hotter.

Its new pan pizza recipe is part of the strategy.

"We know that taste is king for our customers, so we're excited to roll out this new, state-of-the-art pan technology, combined with our perfected blend of cheese and sauce ratio," said Penny Shaheen, Pizza Hut's senior director of Culinary Innovation and Strategy, in a release.

Pizza Hut said it took three years to develop its improvements to the nearly 40-year old pizza. The company, owned by Yum Brands (YUM), said it "focused on combining art, science and culinary expertise" to improve the pan pizza.

The relaunched pizza is available nationwide beginning Tuesday and costs $7.99 for a limited time.

190528082519-pizza-hut-pan-relaunch-exlarge-169.jpg

Edited by samhexum

Pizza Hut's Original Pan Pizza has received a makeover.

The company announced Tuesday that its "Original Pan Pizza" is being completely remade, including a new cheese blend, sauce and a "newly engineered" pan for it to be baked in for a crispier crust.

Changes to Pizza Hut's best-known menu item comes as competition tightens with its closest competitors, Domino's and Papa John's. For the first time last year, Domino's had more sales than Pizza Hut. And Pizza Hut last year became the NFL's advertising partner, taking that sought-after title from troubled Papa John's.

Pizza customers aren't a loyal bunch, as people tend to gravitate to the company with the best promotion.

But taste matters too, which is why Domino's scrapped its 49-year-old pizza recipe 10 years ago. It also rolled out new value offerings and technology for customers to track their orders. Earlier this year, Domino's opened its 16,000th store and has grown by nearly 50% over the past five years. Pizza Hut has more than 18,000 restaurants worldwide.

Papa John's is experimenting with sandwiches and new technology as it aims to make up for lost ground from its year of scandals.

Not to be outdone, Pizza Hut is expanding beer delivery program to 1,000 locations by the summer. It also developed insulated pouches designed to keep delivery pizzas up to fifteen degrees hotter.

Its new pan pizza recipe is part of the strategy.

"We know that taste is king for our customers, so we're excited to roll out this new, state-of-the-art pan technology, combined with our perfected blend of cheese and sauce ratio," said Penny Shaheen, Pizza Hut's senior director of Culinary Innovation and Strategy, in a release.

Pizza Hut said it took three years to develop its improvements to the nearly 40-year old pizza. The company, owned by Yum Brands (YUM), said it "focused on combining art, science and culinary expertise" to improve the pan pizza.

The relaunched pizza is available nationwide beginning Tuesday and costs $7.99 for a limited time.

190528082519-pizza-hut-pan-relaunch-exlarge-169.jpg

I've tried Papa John's pan pizza, Papa Murphy's and (I think) Dominos and wasn't impressed. Where they fail for me is that the crust is a tasteless ball of dough. It's been a long time since I've had a Pizza Hut pan for basically the same reason. The best pan pizza I've ever had has come from UNO's as their dough actually has a taste to it. It tastes buttery. It's delicious. ???

Gman

I know this is about pizza but has anyone tried the Burger King impossible burger? I believe it’s being tested in one market and will be available nationwide later this year. White Castle also has the impossible burger but there isn’t one near me. I am looking forward to trying them.

Guest LeonTrotsky
Haven't been to Sally's, but Pepe's is great. Not the best in the world but definitely best for their style.

White clam pizza + Foxon Park Soda (Birch Beer, perhaps) = pure pleasure