I’m Not Saying It’s The Best Pizza In The World

Gar1eth
This topic is 1809 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have a brick oven in your backyard (...) I found an excellent way to make authentic Italian pizza at home. The ideal is making your own dough, but

For 20$ up to $100 buy a pizza stone and peel kit, put the stone into the oven and heat it up at 550 degrees for 10-15 minutes, extend the dough and top the pie on the peel (don't forget to flour it!) to your own taste, slide the pie onto the pizza stone (that needs a little practice, or you will slide only the topping onto it..) and bake it for 6-7 minutes. It comes out GREAT! And you can have a fun home made pizza party at home.

Sorry, much too complicated for my simple brain.

As a native Italian, it's impossible for me to adapt to chains like Domino's, Pizza Hut etc etc. I tried. No way.

My favorite teacher in high school was my Latin teacher. She was from Geneva (Genoa), Italy. I don’t think she was quite a war bride. But she probably came to the USA in the very early 1950’s. While she had been in the USA longer than I had been alive, she remained dismissive of many American things. I remember her talking about how pizza and spaghetti were not main meals in Italy but snacks. On the other hand, I could never quite see how you’d want anything else to eat after a large bowl/plate of spaghetti.

The first time I ever had pizza was with an aunt, uncle and cousins in Sydney. It was from one of the first Pizza Huts in Australia. There may have been authentic pizza places here but they were few. My verdict was that pizza was a crap idea. One of the pizzas we had was 'ground beef'. We don't even call it ground beef here, we call it mince, so it was clearly a Pizza Hut transfer. Looking back, a 'mince' pizza was never going to cut it.

Different countries definitely have different taste palates. I remember liking Pizza Hut from the time I was a little tyke (that’s tyke, not dike:p) although ground beef has never been my favorite. I preferred the sausage-not the larger Italian type sausage that most places have now. This was the more ground up type that looks a lot like the mince which you disliked. In fact as a child, Pizza Hut was one of my favorite pizza places to go. I don’t like it quite as much now-although I still like it. I have a feeling it’s probably due to tastebud changes as well as some changes in their recipes over the past 50 years.

I’m told many in the UK don’t like the salty sweet mixture that many of us here in good ol US of A like as exemplified by sausage and maple pancake syrup.

I remember in high school that my social studies teacher told us how she had been visiting Russia a few years before when Pepsi Cola 1st was allowed in. She said prior to that Russian carbonated beverages were more fruit flavored. Their tour guide tried Pepsi and didn’t like it at all.

It would take an awful lot of money to get me to finish a Vegemite sandwich-even to start one would be very, very pricey. (Someone brought a jar to my dorm around the time the Men At Work song was still popular).

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

As a native Italian, it's impossible for me to adapt to chains like Domino's, Pizza Hut etc etc. I tried. No way.

When I was in Chicago I tried UNO, it's ok but definitely too heavy for my taste....

Uno and Due were founded by Ike Sewell and Ric Riccardo. Not exactly Italian names. That might explain why you, as a native Italian, were not enamored with it. :)

If you don't have a brick oven in your backyard (...) I found an excellent way to make authentic Italian pizza at home.

The ideal is making your own dough, but you can buy very good ones at some Italian bakeries (at least in Brooklyn...) or at Eataly, and good ones at Whole Foods and Trader's Joe.

For 20$ up to $100 buy a pizza stone and peel kit, put the stone into the oven and heat it up at 550 degrees for 10-15 minutes, extend the dough and top the pie on the peel (don't forget to flour it!) to your own taste, slide the pie onto the pizza stone (that needs a little practice, or you will slide only the topping onto it..) and bake it for 6-7 minutes. It comes out GREAT! And you can have a fun home made pizza party at home.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cuisinart-Grilled-Pizza-Pack/35504866?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227023608336&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=53411279432&wl4=pla-88858741737&wl5=9010928&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=35504866&wl13=&veh=sem

I've made pizza using a similar method as well as using flatbread and pre-made crusts in the oven and they've come out well. However, the best results (for me) was using a countertop oven, like the ones made by Breville. The crust was more evenly crispy and the cheese melted more evenly.

This post reminds me of that time I was in Las Vegas and all I could find was truly horrible pizza. Finally went down to a supermarket and got two frozen pizzas, was lucky enough that one of them was not to bad. Freschetta 5 Italian cheese, I believe. Added a few toppings. So, let me ask.... anybody discover a frozen pizza that is actually worthy of consideration for those late night, cravings when you drag yourself home from the bars and need something savory??? :)

Uno and Due were founded by Ike Sewell and Ric Riccardo. Not exactly Italian names. That might explain why you, as a native Italian, were not enamored with it. :)

Ike was a fellow Texan. The story they used to have posted at the UNO’s Restaurants was that after WW2 initially Ike wanted a Tex-Mex restaurant. He had some potential investors over, and whoever made the Tex-Mex wasn’t very good. The investors became ill. Ike’s next thought was the pizza he had had in Italy during WW2. But he thought it wasn’t substantial enough. So he developed (ie invented) deep dish pizza, so it would be more of a meal. The investors loved it. And the rest is history!!

This post reminds me of that time I was in Las Vegas and all I could find was truly horrible pizza. Finally went down to a supermarket and got two frozen pizzas, was lucky enough that one of them was not to bad. Freschetta 5 Italian cheese, I believe. Added a few toppings. So, let me ask.... anybody discover a frozen pizza that is actually worthy of consideration for those late night, cravings when you drag yourself home from the bars and need something savory??? :)

I think Digiornos is pretty good.

Gman

Ike was a fellow Texan. The story they used to have posted at the UNO’s Restaurants was that after WW2 initially Ike wanted a Tex-Mex restaurant. He had some potential investors over, and whoever made the Tex-Mex wasn’t very good. The investors became ill. Ike’s next thought was the pizza he had had in Italy during WW2. But he thought it wasn’t substantial enough. So he developed (ie invented) deep dish pizza, so it would be more of a meal. The investors loved it. And the rest is history!!

Gman

He eventually opened SuCasa next door. Then Rick Bayless came to town and the rest is history!

He eventually opened SuCasa next door. Then Rick Bayless came to town and the rest is history!

Who is Rick Bayless?

Gman

I just looked him up. I’m probably more into Tex-Mex than I am traditional Mexican food. But I’m not saying I wouldn’t try traditional Mexican food. But I don’t like mole, cheese (except mostly on pizza), sour crema, seafood, or any peppers but bell peppers. Lots of times that limits my choices at restaurants.

Gman

Who is Rick Bayless?

Gman

A chef who does Mexican cooking.....his own show was (still is ?) on PBS (One Plate At A Time).....not sure if in other places, but he opened several restaurants in Chicago.....my 1 & only visit to his Frontera Grill = nothing memorable....his salsas under the Frontera label also available in stores nationwide.....his TV persona - to me, at least, he always seemed a bit full of himself.....

Reactions of Italians to Italian-American food :D:

This video is brilliant :D I love Italian food in Italy but absolutely despise Italian-American. Back in Boston I always vetoed any suggestions of Italian because almost all Italian restaurants In New England are Italian-American, not authentic Italian. Since most of my friends had never been to Italy and therefore had no idea what the difference was, they thought I was just being a pain. No, Italian-American is awful! Once you've had real Italian, your reaction to Italian-American is like those poor Italianos in the video. Fortunately, there are a couple of excellent authentic Italian restaurants in Las Vegas. They are awfully pricey, however.

I like Digiornos, too. Signature Select (Albertsons and Safeway owned chains) have some pretty good frozen pizzas, too.

While I almost always have some Malnati's waiting in the home freezer, when a rare "in a pinch" happened recently, I found DiGiorno's Ultra Thin Crust Sausage Supreme (sausage, red&green peppers) to be edible....but that might have been my only grocery store frozen pizza purchase in 25 or so years.....of all the national chains (pizza hut/dominos/papa johns/etc., etc.) - I've only tried a couple of them & never any of them more than once.....not a snob here either but have never once been to a McDonalds for anything at anytime in my life.....Starbucks (their regular brew with a double espresso mixed in) every single day however, unless I'm in a country where they are not - Israel, for example - a place my office sends me "often" - arghhhh

You’ve really NEVER been to a McDonald’s, EVER-not even as a child? :eek:

What about Burger King, Jack in the Box, or Wendy’s?

Gman

Once in the proverbial blue moon, I get a taste for a BK Whopper...(flame-broiled seems OK, health-wise).....w/a milkshake....but have never tried their fries.....Wendy's - oui, have had their burgers but not in the last 20 or so years....Jack in the Box - same thing....20+ years ago or so & then only their tacos a couple times which I quickly decided were crap....I know some of those places also have salads on their menus but I've never been there for those either....re McDonald's - no never for anything.....really.....once I made it to college without ever having been, I made a conscious, inward decision to keep that streak unbroken for my lifetime.....fast food joints in general just don't enter my thoughts as options much at all.....a few chicken joint "visits" over the years but way too few to seriously count....KFC chicken makes my stomach feel "queasy" (I dunno - maybe from the grease)....never been to Popeye's.....I really like Mexican & did have a Taco Bell phase....but decided that was crap too a long time ago.....for fast food Mexican - "Filiberto's" in Scottsdale/Phoenix = acceptable occasionally.....In&Out Burger - another once in a blue moon thing but not a rabid fan like some other folks.....my time in Chicago - enjoyed both - some of the Italian Beef & the Gyros joints.....Gold Coast Dogs - not for their hot dogs but for their BBQ beef & their super crispy fries...

I went to McDonalds quite a bit in my 20s. Then for some reason I didn't happen to go to one for several months. After that, any trip to McDonalds invariably resulted in the urgent need to take a dump within an hour of the meal. I guess something changed in my intestinal flora and I couldn't tolerate it any more. (I felt the same about the taste as before, it's just my body now has a reaction to it that is...inconvenient at times.)

Agreed. Their Wabash location is one I've been going to since I was a kid. Their crinkle-cut fries rock.

Our office was on the corner of Wacker & Madison.....so the convenient location for lunch @ Gold Coast was in the Metra Train Station across the bridge.....never have been big on hot dogs in general but in addition to their BBQ beef, their burgers were pretty good too.....but the best part of any lunch there - really crispy fries without even having to ask for "extra" crispy.....our convenient location for Al's Italian Beef was over on Wabash (or maybe it was Jackson)....(which was either temporarily or permanently closed when they had some tax problems of some kind).....also a place (never knew the name) for huge (& tasty) perch fish sandwiches over by the CBOE building was a monthly take-out choice for us too.....& Mrs. Levy's ground floor Sears Tower made good omelets for breakfast.

Edited by wklucas