BUTTER or MARGARINE?

samhexum
This topic is 2204 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Henry Kravis is a big fan of margarine.

The billionaire investor’s KKR & Co. has agreed to buy the world’s largest margarine business from Unilever plc for $8.06 billion, the two companies said Friday.

Despite sagging sales for its large stable of margarine brands — including Country Crock, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter and Imperial — Unilever set a hefty asking price of $8 billion, and KKR met the demand, a source close to the situation said.

With sagging revenue in the margarine business generally — and within Unilever brands bought — the deal is seen as a bit risky for KKR, the source said.

Unilever’s margarine brands have been losing more than a few percentage points in market share per year, and the question for suitors was whether they could stem the tide.

“You needed to have a view on whether steep declines would continue,” the source said.

The brands bought include margarines, with at least 80 percent fat, and others, known as spreads, which have less fat. In recent years, mélange products (a butter and margarine mix) have done well and hurt Unilever.

Part of Unilever’s pitch to suitors was a new owner could make a mélange product and sales would improve, the source said. As Americans and consumers around the world opt for more healthier fare, newer alternative spreads — like those featuring avocado oil — are also taking a toll on traditional margarines, the source said.

Kravis must be a big believer in Unilever’s brands.

If KKR can stabilize Unilever’s spreads business, there is the potential to do well, the source said.

KKR is paying about a 9 times Ebitda multiple for the division (when factoring in adjustments). Food companies with stable earnings trade for 11-to-12 times multiples on the stock exchanges.

“The strength of the portfolio of consumer brands in [the] spreads provides a firm foundation for future growth,” Johannes Huth, the head of KKR’s European business, said in a statement.

“We look forward to deploying our global network and operational expertise to support the business’s growth ambitions, while continuing to follow Unilever’s responsible sourcing policies, including working towards the goal of sourcing 100 per cent sustainable palm oil by 2019,” Huth added.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went back to butter 100% after hearing an old interview on NPR with Juila Child. She made a good case, and I think at the time there were also a bunch of articles about how margarine is not very healthy, so that was that. Growing up we always had tubs of Fleischmann's in the fridge, but no more. Though I love those Mother Nature commercials!

It's not a true double blind study, but around 40 years ago when I was a grad student in math, the subject of butter vs. margarine came up and one of the students (a burly bearded guy by the way), baked a 4 layer chocolate cake, 2 layers being butter and the other two being margarine. The sample of testers was small, but the it seemed like the number of people who could detect a difference in texture was better than random, but even those split pretty evenly right vs. wrong on which had the butter ...

I keep one stick of salted* butter in use, covered, and at room temperature for use at all times.

Friends say “it will go rancid”, I ask “when’s the last time you saw/tasted rancid butter?” I usually get silence as a response.

*unsalted sweet butter stays refrigerated as it is not used as often

I have to watch my sodium or my blood pressure goes too high. Unsalted butter only.

I grew up with margarine on the counter, butter in the fridge. Couldn't stand the taste of butter until my early-'30's ... now, there's no choice. No margarine in this house.

I have to watch my sodium or my blood pressure goes too high. Unsalted butter only.

I grew up with margarine on the counter, butter in the fridge. Couldn't stand the taste of butter until my early-'30's ... now, there's no choice. No margarine in this house.

I have a BP issue as well. I avoid sodium at all cost, and IF the food needs a kick, I only use a dash of "reduced" sodium.... Plus, I really dont like "salty" food.

I am one of those lucky people with out a blood pressure problem. I have been told, for years, that too much sodium can aggravate a blood pressure problem but cannot not cause the problem. Makes sense to me since all of my life (I'm 77) I have been a major salt addict and my normal, unmediated blood pressure is 135/65-70.