Wrapping Christmas Presents

samhexum
This topic is 2360 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to enjoy wrapping presents. I like really nice wrapping paper and one of the little Christmas rituals that I got special pleasure from was shopping for nice papers. I still like buying papers, but wrapping I find tedious.

My partner and I spend a few days at a nice resort in Sonoma at this time every year. One year, we ran into a woman I know. She and her daughter had packed up all the presents and the wrapping supplies and had come up to Sonoma to stay for a night or two and wrap all the presents.

My sister picked up a book for my Dad for his birthday and asked that they gift-wrap it. We watched in horror as the clerk tried to wrap it. When she got to the ends where you fold the paper over, she was crumpling the paper up and slapping a slab of tape over it. We finally said "Here, let me do this" and the clerk watched. She was amazed. So was I - I cannot remember NOT knowing how to wrap a simple rectangle. I've picked up some refining techniques over the years, but I've known the basics since before I started school.

My sister picked up a book for my Dad for his birthday and asked that they gift-wrap it. We watched in horror as the clerk tried to wrap it. When she got to the ends where you fold the paper over, she was crumpling the paper up and slapping a slab of tape over it. We finally said "Here, let me do this" and the clerk watched. She was amazed. So was I - I cannot remember NOT knowing how to wrap a simple rectangle. I've picked up some refining techniques over the years, but I've known the basics since before I started school.

How to gift wrap? Some kids can’t even write in cursive.

It's like riding a bike...

DOROTHY: It's like riding a bike.

ROSE: I never learned how to ride a bike.

DOROTHY: It's like falling off a bike.

ROSE: Oh, that I can do.

DOROTHY (to Blanche): Just a hunch...

Proving once again that there is no situation in life (even picking out my mother's casket) in which I can't quote Golden Girls.

For several years, my gift wrapping had a theme. One year was brown paper packages tied up with strings, another year was red (either the paper, ribbon, or bow was red,) and another recycled wrapping from previous holidays. A couple of years ago I got lazy and didn't have a theme. It was the most fun listening to my sister trying to figure it out.