Do You Give To Panhandlers?

Avalon
This topic is 2387 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Where I don't give is at the pump, which happens now and then. I'm not comfortable interacting with panhandlers wandering from pump to pump asking for help, often to help fill their tank. When I mention I have no cash they'll sometimes respond that's OK, doesn't have to be cash. They are well practiced. I just say no.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always do a particularly NYC way of "giving" - I have an unlimited monthly card for use of the subways, and there are often people at the station from where i exit who need a free "swipe" in order to be able to use the train.

I always --without exception-- share the use of my transit pass with people in need.

I used to not give at all. Lately I've been giving a dollar like the pope suggests but not always. Once I ended up giving a 20 because I opened my wallet right in front of the person, it was pretty full but I had no change, and I felt like closing it in front of them without giving them anything was too dickish. That person was missing a leg though so I was more okay with giving them that much than I would have been had they appeared more able-bodied.

I know there are people who are sort of "undeserving poor" but what galls me more than "those people" getting money are when facebook friends who talk about God all the time (#blessed etc) post a story about some beggar who declined their half-eaten food and then fish for praise that they offered them something and reassurance that the beggar clearly wasn't that bad off. I'm like, dude you're bragging about NOT HELPING THE POOR and ignoring Christ's instructions and seeking praise for it.

No. I am in NYC and the homeless population is out of control since the current mayoral administration came into office. They are literally everywhere in every public facility and neighborhood. Many are very aggressive due to obvious mental problems, for which they should be in treatment. I give to charities that have as their mission helping the poor and homeless.

No. They go and buy alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs with it, so I'd rather keep my change and deposit saved up rolls in my bank once in a while.

This is a generalization. Have you ever really had a conversation with any homeless person? [i give at times!] The homeless situation is rampant in San Francisco and Los Angeles, and NOT everyone out there asking for some monetary assistance do it to purchase alcohol or cigs or drugs.

One time outside the grocery store I frequent there was a woman with a child setting on the sidewalk with a container for money. That really angered me. I saw it as a form of child abuse, exploitation. I complained about it inside the store. Back home I called the Department of Social Services and reported it. Some friends thought I did wrong. In fact no one agreed with what I did. But I still think I did the right thing. I never saw them there again.

I prefer to give to local charities than right to the person. There have been exceptions though. I know there are ways around the system on getting food stamps and other forms of assistance. There really is no reason why someone should be out begging for food.

Hugs,

Greg

Cynical group here. When I give, which is sometimes, I do so with the expectation that I have no control over what that person may do with the money I give to him nor how much money that person has accrued by this activity, but rather I do it with the expectation that at this particular time and in this particular place, I am feeling a kindness towards another human being who may need my help. On a cold winter night walking in the streets of the NE, I may slip a bill of some denomination into the sleeping bag of a person sleeping on the street with the hope that this may be the dollar or five or ten, that brings this person back. I know some find this naive, I find that the world is frequently a hopeless place and I figure I am not giving away money, I am buying a bit of hope for myself and perhaps the recipient as well.

Cynical group here. When I give, which is sometimes, I do so with the expectation that I have no control over what that person may do with the money I give to him nor how much money that person has accrued by this activity, but rather I do it with the expectation that at this particular time and in this particular place, I am feeling a kindness towards another human being who may need my help.

You don't seem cynical at all but rather sweet.

On a cold winter night walking in the streets of the NE, I may slip a bill of some denomination into the sleeping bag of a person sleeping on the street with the hope that this may be the dollar or five or ten, that brings this person back. I know some find this naive, I find that the world is frequently a hopeless place and I figure I am not giving away money, I am buying a bit of hope for myself and perhaps the recipient as well.

I wish I had the guts to do this, but I am so scared that something bad will happen that I usually lose my nerve. There are a bunch of guys who hang out at the intersection of Rte 1 and 440 in Jersey City who I'm tempted to give money to but if anyone knows the area you can be stuck at that intersection for a good 15 minutes if you are unlucky so the fact of being trapped there makes me a bit uncomfortable. Its a busy intersection so I take some solace in the fact that they get a lot of passers by. I have even seen 1 or 2 of them buying stuff at a nearby farmers market so the $$ doesn't all go to alcohol etc.

There's another guy who is frequently at the Grove st. PATH station in JC. I've given him money a couple times. He is very respectful and always thanks his benefactors.

Never have given money to anyone on the NYC subway. I find them aggressive/obnoxious. Plus I can't stand Deblasio. (Sorry I had to) :p

You don't seem cynical at all but rather sweet.

I wish I had the guts to do this, but I am so scared that something bad will happen that I usually lose my nerve. There are a bunch of guys who hang out at the intersection of Rte 1 and 440 in Jersey City who I'm tempted to give money to but if anyone knows the area you can be stuck at that intersection for a good 15 minutes if you are unlucky so the fact of being trapped there makes me a bit uncomfortable. Its a busy intersection so I take some solace in the fact that they get a lot of passers by. I have even seen 1 or 2 of them buying stuff at a nearby farmers market so the $$ doesn't all go to alcohol etc.

There's another guy who is frequently at the Grove st. PATH station in JC. I've given him money a couple times. He is very respectful and always thanks his benefactors.

Never have given money to anyone on the NYC subway. I find them aggressive/obnoxious. Plus I can't stand Deblasio. (Sorry I had to) :p

Yeah, I never give to anyone at an intersection. Aside from the risk to you, it's dangerous for them and you don't want to encourage it. Some of these morons are out there in dark clothing at night.

I remember about 25 years ago, SF Chronicle did a in-depth report on homeless/panhandler young people in the Haight Ashbury neighborhood. A lot of these teens/20 yr olds were runaways and many with drug addictions. There were some tough stories about how they wound up on the streets. One story stood out: a 19 year old from a small town came to SF to take advantage of the mild climate and free-wheeling atmosphere. He said that he could survive on about $10 per day (most of the donations were by older women who took pity on him "That Could be MY Son"). He stated that he didn't want to put on a coat & time and punch a clock everyday -- so he actually preferred being on the street!

The streets are a lot meaner these days---there's constant reports of victims falling to stabbings, beatings and even bleach attacks (!). To answer the question -- yes, I do give to older, disabled people on occasion (esp. with the holidays approaching). But I do not/will not even make eye contact with able-bodied, tattooed, young people reeking of a freshly smoked joint.