Ordering Groceries Online?

Avalon
This topic is 1868 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I use Peapod and have for years. I have no car so have no choice if I am going to go shopping in bulk. I do have a rule however. If there is something that I really want to look at before I buy it then I do not order it from Peapod. This would include such things as oranges, broccoli, meats of all sorts and breads. Those things I walk to the closest "specialty" store (Whole Foods - talk about pricey - or Marianos) and walk home bags in hand. Most of the other stuff I buy from Peapod is in cans or paper goods so there isn't much that you or they can get wrong. Because I am home for as much of the day as I want I pick delivery times where there is a significant fee reduction from the normal fee. So it works out fine for me.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can buy them anywhere... costco, BJs Wholesale Club, Lowe's, Target, online, etc. $25-$35 ish, unless you get something fancy.

Thanks! I'll look around.

From time-to-time the city has a shopping cart sweep and gathers them up. I have seen abandoned carts several miles from the store.

Do they deliver inside apartments or just drop it off at front?

When I ordered from Peapod, I was completely incapacitated by back spasms. I rolled my shopping cart over to the door & out into the hallway, & asked the guy to put everything into the cart so I could use it as a walker and get it over to my kitchen. I don't know what the company policy is about drivers bringing things inside for you. It probably depends on the individual.

I use Peapod and have for years. I have no car so have no choice if I am going to go shopping in bulk. I do have a rule however. If there is something that I really want to look at before I buy it then I do not order it from Peapod. This would include such things as oranges, broccoli, meats of all sorts and breads. Those things I walk to the closest "specialty" store (Whole Foods - talk about pricey - or Marianos) and walk home bags in hand. Most of the other stuff I buy from Peapod is in cans or paper goods so there isn't much that you or they can get wrong. Because I am home for as much of the day as I want I pick delivery times where there is a significant fee reduction from the normal fee. So it works out fine for me.

At a time in my life when I didn't have car, I walked to the store and took a taxi home with my groceries. The expense of the taxi was more than offset by having plenty of groceries on hand all the time.

My Peapod drivers come up to my unit and bring the bags inside. I am sure if I did not want them to come inside I could ask that they place them in the hallway. However because I am usually getting milk, cream, eggs, etc. delivered, I want to be there. Because I have been using them for awhile, I have gotten to know a few of the driver/delivery people over time. They are always very cordial and helpful. I, of course, tip.

You will snigger (and have a right to). I thought that if I bought a cart I would officially be "old". Whereas if I carted two bags of groceries hurting all the way I would be young. Just out of shape and young.

LOL, it'a a shopping cart, NOT a "walker".... BUY the fucking cart, it makes a world of difference.

why-do-you-workout-so-much-sol-can-bring-in-26643200.png

At a time in my life when I didn't have car, I walked to the store and took a taxi home with my groceries. The expense of the taxi was more than offset by having plenty of groceries on hand all the time.

I believe most grocery stores, at least the ones in NYC, all have "delivery" services, so you dont need to be schlepping the bags home yourself.

There is a taxi service here that will pick-up the groceries and deliver them to one's home. But the grocery store I frequent is in the same shopping center where the UPS store is where I get my mail. So I can do two tasks with the same trip. I only pick up my mail 2 or 3 times per month.

There is a taxi service here that will pick-up the groceries and deliver them to one's home. But the grocery store I frequent is in the same shopping center where the UPS store is where I get my mail. So I can do two tasks with the same trip. I only pick up my mail 2 or 3 times per month.

and please tell us WHY your mail is not delivered to your home ? Do you live with your Parents ?

I'm considering a PO box. A few deliveries left on my front steps have disappeared. (Most likely kids with too much time on their hands.)

I used a then-new service called PeaPod for home grocery delivery when I lived in Chicago and wasn't driving. It was a healthy walk to the grocery store so I'd pick up fresh stuff myself and have heavier stuff, staples, and frozen goods delivered. How hard is it to pick out a bag of frozen peas? Who wants to carry a bag of kitty litter eight blocks?

I'm considering a PO box. A few deliveries left on my front steps have disappeared. (Most likely kids with too much time on their hands.)

I used a then-new service called PeaPod for home grocery delivery when I lived in Chicago and wasn't driving. It was a healthy walk to the grocery store so I'd pick up fresh stuff myself and have heavier stuff, staples, and frozen goods delivered. How hard is it to pick out a bag of frozen peas? Who wants to carry a bag of kitty litter eight blocks?

I can see it for packages but not for mail, unless you are trying to hide something from someone ?

I've had one PO Box for 30 years, and have had others for shorter times when I've lived in different towns. I kept that one because I knew I would always go back there, and it provided a 'permanent' address as I moved around the country. Even when one lives in the same city all the time, it provides a permanent safe place for delivery that isn't affected my local kids or by the weather if you're away for a few days. Obviously there are fewer concerns if you live in an apartment building with the mail boxes in a sort of secure area. When I order things on line, I use my home address if I know I'll be there for the delivery but the PO Box if I'm not sure, works for me. Australia Post sends an e-mail when mail is delivered to my PO Box.