Philadelphia

LoveNDino
This topic is 2304 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Does it have a downside?

For me, it's tourists only spending a day or two here. Most people want to see the historic sites and one art museum and have a Philly a cheese streak.

On certain occasions, Pope visits, weekend concerts on the Benj. Franklin Parkway, people will stay longer and stop and talk to locals. It was especially true when so many South Americans were here for the last visit from the Pope

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived there for seven years in the 90s going to two of the large universities. I lived primarily in University City and Fairmount. Frankly, I liked it better before what someone above called the "renaissance." It has become much more expensive, much more congested, much more touristy, much more bourgeois, and much less unique. It has been very good for some people, but some of the things that gave the city character exist only as commercial shells of themselves or memories.

As for safety--most places an affluent traveler or resident would visit are safer than the places that add to the crime statistics. If you keep your head about you and stick to the well-lighted beaten path, you'll be fine. If you go looking for trouble, there are many places to find it.

• 3 months later...

Yay, Philly is still in the running...

Amazon Narrows Headquarters-Search List to 20 Big Cities in North America

By Madison Malone Kircher

18-amazon-hq2.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

Sorry to every city in the United States that thirstily prostrated itself at Amazon’s feet this fall in the hopes of being selected as the home of the company’s second headquarters. Amazon sa[p]cjckl0kiu0056soyeyyvssikrHdgXNE[z]m[d]D[r]nymag.com&tag=selectallsite-20']released a list of its 20 finalists today, and, well, let’s just say Gary, Indiana, is going to be disappointed. As is that Arizona town that sent Jeff Bezos a giant cactus. And pretty much anybody else who wanted to be considered for Amazon anointment, but didn’t happen to be a major city everybody in the world has already heard about. Here are the 20 cities still in the running, which we can assume were picked by a team of executives at Amazon who were given 20 darts and told to throw them at a map of the United States where major existing economic hubs were highlighted in bright pink, and everywhere else was, uh, not.

• Boston

• New York City

• Toronto

• Pittsburgh

• Newark

• Philadelphia

• Montgomery County

• Washington, D.C.

• Raleigh

• Northern Virginia

• Atlanta

• Miami

• Austin

• Dallas

• Los Angeles

• Nashville

• Denver

• Chicago

• Indianapolis

• Columbus

Shockingly, Seattle didn’t make the cut. The present home of Amazon’s first headquarters also tried to make a play to be the home of its second headquarters.

Yay, Philly is still in the running...

Amazon Narrows Headquarters-Search List to 20 Big Cities in North America

By Madison Malone Kircher

18-amazon-hq2.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

Sorry to every city in the United States that thirstily prostrated itself at Amazon’s feet this fall in the hopes of being selected as the home of the company’s second headquarters. Amazon sa[p]cjckl0kiu0056soyeyyvssikrHdgXNE[z]m[d]D[r]nymag.com&tag=selectallsite-20']released a list of its 20 finalists today, and, well, let’s just say Gary, Indiana, is going to be disappointed. As is that Arizona town that sent Jeff Bezos a giant cactus. And pretty much anybody else who wanted to be considered for Amazon anointment, but didn’t happen to be a major city everybody in the world has already heard about. Here are the 20 cities still in the running, which we can assume were picked by a team of executives at Amazon who were given 20 darts and told to throw them at a map of the United States where major existing economic hubs were highlighted in bright pink, and everywhere else was, uh, not.

• Boston

• New York City

• Toronto

• Pittsburgh

• Newark

• Philadelphia

• Montgomery County

• Washington, D.C.

• Raleigh

• Northern Virginia

• Atlanta

• Miami

• Austin

• Dallas

• Los Angeles

• Nashville

• Denver

• Chicago

• Indianapolis

• Columbus

Shockingly, Seattle didn’t make the cut. The present home of Amazon’s first headquarters also tried to make a play to be the home of its second headquarters.

Seattle can not absorb another Amazon. There isn't enough space in that small town. Chicago on the other hand can take Amazon HQ2. We have 2 international airports, Amtrak and a public transport that some say is better than NYC. Oh and we have Italian beef combos spicy and wet :cool:

Hugs,

Greg

It has become much more expensive, much more congested, much more touristy, much more bourgeois, and much less unique.

The city is more "touristy" since the Barnes Foundation moved from the Main Line (the near suburbs) to the Benj. Franklin Parkway with the Philadelphia Museum of Art. I have lost count of how many Cezanne and Matisse paintings are on display at the two museums. Those two artists are reasons to visit, but so are the many others artists' work at other local museums.

Amazon's request for proposals outlined several core requirements, as well as optional preferences.

• Metropolitan areas with a population of over 1 million
  • A stable and business-friendly environment
  • Within 30 miles (48 km) of a population center
  • Within 45 minutes of an international airport
  • Proximity to major highways and arterial roads 1–3 miles (2–5 km)
  • Access to mass transit routes
  • Up to 8 million square feet (740,000 m2) of office space for future expansion

Optional preferences include airports with direct flights to Seattle, New York, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C., urban locations, and proximity to major universities

Rumor has it that Bezos wants an East/South presence so you can count out LA. Indy, Nashville, Columbus - too "meh."

Chicago formed a 600 person committee to get Amazon - yes, 600 person committee! Too much politics for it to be viable.

Pittsburgh, Atlanta, or Philly -maybe.

My money is on D.C. or Austin. Bezos bought a big beautiful home in D.C. not long ago. But, Austin is a very progressive city with no state income tax. Also, it's the home of Whole Foods which Amazon just bought.

Seattle can not absorb another Amazon. There isn't enough space in that small town. Chicago on the other hand can take Amazon HQ2. We have 2 international airports, Amtrak and a public transport that some say is better than NYC. Oh and we have Italian beef combos spicy and wet :cool:

I love Juicy and WET ---= Not to Mention all those Big Chicago Weiners!

Hugs,

Greg

Chicago formed a 600 person committee to get Amazon - yes, 600 person committee! Too much politics for it to be viable.

I think you're on point about Chicago.

While I love to visit, I don't know much about the DC business climate, but it seems to be more viable as a business destination. No longer just a government town. And, the Metro knocks the socks off Chicago's EL (or L, depending on your preference).

While I love to visit, I don't know much about the DC business climate, but it seems to be more viable as a business destination. No longer just a government town. And, the Metro knocks the socks off Chicago's EL (or L, depending on your preference).

There trains dont have cell connections. For a dot com you need to be connected. DC public transport for the subway is lacking and on the commuter train from BWI it was spotty unless I connected to Amtraks WiFi. I say DC will not make it to the next round.

Hugs,

Greg

The only time Metro knocks the socks off anything is when it has a fatal train crash, which happens with alarming frequency. The flimsy cars telescope into one another, which causes the fatalities to occur.

FYI - The official CTA spelling is "L," as explained in this Twitter post.

Enjoy the ketchup you put on your suburban hot dogs.

The only time Metro knocks the socks off anything is when it has a fatal train crash, which happens with alarming frequency. The flimsy cars telescope into one another, which causes the fatalities to occur.

FYI - The official CTA spelling is "L," as explained in this Twitter post.

Enjoy the ketchup you put on your suburban hot dogs.

That is terrible to hear of the crashes.

Yes, I'm a suburbanite, and a transplant, so it was never ingrained into me that ketchup on a hotdog was sacrilege.

It's been many years since I used either the L or Metro, but found the Metro to be better (at least for getting around DC). Cars were clean, quiet, and comfortable. Every station I encountered was climate controlled. I found the route system more cohesive, and designed to expand as the population grows out, while Chicago relies on a patchwork of CTA, Metra, Pace. As I age, I worry more about future mobility issues beyond my current arthritic knees. When working in the Loop, I always looked at those stairs with dread if I had to take it. All the Metro stations I used had escalators, and according to the Metro website, 100% of Metro stations are accessible. Per the CTA web site, only 102 of the 145 stations are accessible.

Edited by bashful

I lived in Philly for almost 40 years, always in Center City or the immediately adjacent neighborhoods, i.e., only in areas that Ben Franklin would have at least known. My affection for the place fluctuated over the years. I probably loved it most in the 1960s, before it became too gentrified and expensive. When I was young, it was big enough to have everything I wanted in the way of culture and sexual opportunities, but was more intimate than New York, which I thought of as home. What I always liked best was the fact that I could walk anywhere I wanted to go: work, shopping, entertainment, sex venues. What I liked least was the weather, except in autumn, when it can be truly lovely. The last time I visited, I was put off by the amount of foot and vehicular traffic in Center City. It was interesting to visit, but I wouldn't want to move back.

What I liked least was the weather, except in autumn, when it can be truly lovely. The last time I visited, I was put off by the amount of foot and vehicular traffic in Center City. It was interesting to visit, but I wouldn't want to move back.

Then we are even because I would enjoy living in Palm Springs, except for the summers. My guess is there are far more cultural options here in Philadelphia than in Palm Springs.

Then we are even because I would enjoy living in Palm Springs, except for the summers. My guess is there are far more cultural options here in Philadelphia than in Palm Springs.

"Cultural options" in Palm Springs means drag shows. (OK, that's not completely fair--we do have an very good art museum, and of course there are excellent film festivals and Modernism Week.)

• 3 weeks later...
Finally! I'll bet a lot of folks will show up at work tomorrow a little bedraggled.

Celebrations are still going on everywhere in the city -- mostly on Broad Street but in neighborhoods too. I can not remember a night like this in Philadelphia. It meant a lot to beat the Patriots.

I am reminded of 1964 when the Cardinals beat the Yankees in a seven game World Series. Nobody believed the Yankees would lose.

I could not bring myself to watch the second half of the Super Bowl. But I knew the Eagles won by the celebrations here in Philadelphia. Great feeling. Finally!

Local News said it was pretty well controlled celebration -- 1 major incident in Northeast Philly at Cottman and Frankford (about 11 miles from the Center of town)