There, their, they're, there's, theirs...

liubit
This topic is 2534 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I confess I didnt take the time to go back through this particular post.

In response to some very current postings... one of the few English words that has a gender variation is

Blond and Blonde.

A blond is a male with fair hair. A blonde is a female with fair hair.

Blond can be used interchangeably to describe hair... a woman may have blond hair.

But blonde is always female.

I confess I didnt take the time to go back through this particular post.

In response to some very current postings... one of the few English words that has a gender variation is

Blond and Blonde.

A blond is a male with fair hair. A blonde is a female with fair hair.

Blond can be used interchangeably to describe hair... a woman may have blond hair.

But blonde is always female.

Masseur - male

Masseuse - female

Two horrors:

Curate to mean choose or arrange

Iconic to mean distinctive

Two more horrors:

(1) "In terms of" as a catch-all phrase. I have actually heard a weathercaster say: "There's a 30% chance in terms of rain." I heard an interviewer ask, "Do you think the movie will do well financially in terms of money?" And an ex-boss of mine once said, "I'm going to eat now in terms of lunch."

(2) "Like." I've ranted about this before and I'll probably rant about it until my memorial service but like just like drives me like nuts in terms of going crazy. Phrases such as "I'm like wow", "He was like late", "She was like so mad", "I was like can you give me some coffee and he was like no, we don't have any more" make my ears ache.

A dear friend of mine in his 50s who lost his wife to cancer 2 years ago has slowly begun dating again using an online service. He met a woman online and they made a dinner date after a few weeks of online chatting and emails. He found her very attractive when they met at the restaurant until she opened her mouth. He told me that she used the word "like" so often that imagining spending any time with her made his armpits sweat. She greeted him with a warm handshake and said, "I'm like so pleased to finally meet you. It's like exciting to be on a like blind date at my age. But I forgot to tell you that I'm like a vegetarian, so I hope you won't be like annoyed if I'm kind of like picky over like what I eat." He did his best and reproaches himself for being a fuddy-duddy (his expression) but he just couldn't overcome his dislike of like.

(2) "Like." I've ranted about this before and I'll probably rant about it until my memorial service but like just like drives me like nuts in terms of going crazy.

I guess it goes back quite a ways.....didn't know that.......use the little arrows to advance the article

http://flavorwire.com/215859/like-totally-a-brief-history-of-like-in-pop-culture

My old boss would punctuate every sentence with "You know what I mean?" It got very annoying after a while.

I had one of those. A VP for God's sake! It was an interesting tell though. He only did it when he was relaxed and in conversation mode. If he wasn't doing it, that meant he was annoyed or on edge about something.

My old boss would punctuate every sentence with "You know what I mean?" It got very annoying after a while.

I once worked with a consultant who ended almost every sentence with "and blah, blah, blah". Fortunately he didn't last long on that gig.

Had a boss many years ago, she always referred to the top guy on a project as the Head Nacho.

She also used the phrase "the monkey's in your court."

:confused:

My father does that all the time. He says, "Well, that's a horse of a different stripe." "You can't make a silk purse out of a giraffe's tail." There's an English expression that goes "The man is as camp as a row of tents," which my father has transformed into "He's as gay as a picnic site." And he's not trying to be funny - he just gets stuff twisted around. It used to be amusing but now it has become tiresome.

Archived