Hang Onto Your Hats-Barry Manilow Is Gay!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 2613 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm not sure you can fairly castigate him for that. Number 1- he's 73 years old. He grew up in a different time. Number 2-he became popular in the 1970's. How many out entertainers were there then? It very well could have ruined his career any time until the last 10 to 15 years. Number 3-he was brave enough to get married.

Gman

After recovering from my attack of "the vapors" on learning of his admission that he was gay, I must agree that he should be given some leeway due to the times of his mainstream popularity in the '70's. It is now fashionable to judge people in the past by our standards of today. Instead, I believe we can be more lenient and need to view people by the standards of their day.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually like Copacabana, but most of his songs have me reaching for my insulin--sappy lyrics, hackneyed rhyme schemes, trite tunes, obvious key changes, etc. (I'm glad when you're glad, I'm sad when you're sad--oh, give me a break.) Just not my type of thing.

Just so you know, Manilow didn't write that song ("Can't Smile Without You"). Ironically he also didn't write "I Write The Songs" along with a number of his other biggest hits. I think that just because he did compose many tunes, many people assume that every song they associate with him was written by him. I'm not saying that many of his songs aren't sappy, but some of the sappy ones he did write are more interesting than "Can't Smile Without You." I like what he did musically with Chopin's "Prelude in C Minor, Opus 28, Number 20" when he co-wrote "Could It Be Magic." I am also quite fond of the album cut "Sandra," covered to great effect by Dusty Springfield.

What's odd to me about his announcement is that I thought he officially came out after news of his marriage to his long-time partner was revealed a couple of years ago. I guess he must have either made no comment or denied it back then, but I could have sworn that he confirmed that he and Garry Kief were married.

Whatsa 'VSM'?

Very Strange Medley

It's a medley of all the well-known commercial jingles he's written over the years.

"I'm a Pepper, You're a Pepper Too"

"You deserve a break today at McDonald's"

etc.

As they flow by you can't help but marvel at how much of American culture he's touched, just through advertising jingles.

After recovering from my attack of "the vapors" on learning of his admission that he was gay, I must agree that he should be given some leeway due to the times of his mainstream popularity in the '70's. It is now fashionable to judge people in the past by our standards of today. Instead, I believe we can be more lenient and need to view people by the standards of their day

I agree mostly. But, I am not convinced the standards are so different than ten-fifteen years ago. However, it's up to every individual to come out when it feels comfortable for that person.

It is okay too for some people to never come out; there are no rules.

I feel like by 2000 or so he should have realized he had "fuck you money" and could have just said it regardless, and there likely would not have been any repercussions at that point. But I don't see his announcement as warranting a cover story on PEOPLE. It's not really news.

Very Strange Medley

It's a medley of all the well-known commercial jingles he's written over the years.

"I'm a Pepper, You're a Pepper Too"

"You deserve a break today at McDonald's"

etc.

As they flow by you can't help but marvel at how much of American culture he's touched, just through advertising jingles.

Here's a few more...he did this a lot:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/64713/6-famous-jingles-barry-manilow

I feel like by 2000 or so he should have realized he had "fuck you money" and could have just said it regardless, and there likely would not have been any repercussions at that point. But I don't see his announcement as warranting a cover story on PEOPLE. It's not really news.

The problem with "fuck you money" is the owner of such cash sees a direct connection between the source of the money and the people he doesn't want to disappoint.

As an aside, I'm not certain just how much money is "fuck you money". I don't see many retired billionaires.

At the same time, some men I patronize have told me they have serviced a well-known billionaire. He refuses to pay more than $200 for their services. He's donated enough $ to get his name on several schools and theaters around town, but pays only minimum hourly rates for orgasms.

If a BILLIONAIRE limits his largess to $200 for the finest male pulcritude in Hollywood, I am convinced no amount of money equals 'fuck you money'.

Please don't judge me for listening when my hires pillow talk.

his reason, if you haven't read the link yet:

“I thought I would be disappointing them if they knew I was gay."

ouch, Barry... that's a pretty LGBT-negative statement there. disappointing people because you're gay? as an out-gay-celebrity (who is, whether you like it or not, a role model), that's a really shitty statement for those on their own path.

oh, ok, many of your songs were about loving women (and not men). so... you think people would fall apart knowing that you liked guys?

I know people in the spotlight often think about their fans, but really - at what point does that become an obsession?

let's take a big step back... who are you on this planet for - pleasing others first? or pleasing yourself, first and foremost?

I would love to have a conversation with this guy.

from your 2011 album (a fairly recent one, as far as I could tell in my research) -----

"Everything's Gonna Be All Right"

Take it from me

Everything’s gonna be all right

You wait and see

Take it from me

You wait and see

I can see the future

Starin’ right at me

I’m here to inform you

I like what I see

And here’s the key

You wait and see

Shoutin’ hallelujah

From the day 'til the night

Everything is gonna be all right

Shoutin’ hallelujah

All right!

Sure, you’ll hit resistance

In anything you do

Depend on persistence

And ride that dream on through

And there you’ll be

'Cause everything’s gonna be all right

You wait and see

Shoutin’ hallelujah

Shoutin’ hallelujah

All right!

Shoutin’ hallelujah

Joy is comin’ to ya

Singin’ to remind you

Happiness will find you

That’s right

That’s right

That’s right!

Another example of internalized homophobia. It plagues so many in the LGBT community.

"You deserve a break today. So get up and get away ........". What's the rest of the jungle? Can't remember.

I don't know anything about the jungle ;) But the jingle is "So get up and get away to McDonalds, McDonalds, McDonalds!"

And let us not forget, in case it hasn't already been mentioned, "I am stuck on Bandaid brand cause Bandaid's stuck on me...."

Gman

"...it’s up to every individual to come out when it feels comfortable for that person.

It is okay too for some people to never come out; there are no rules." (WilliamM)

I knew I should have written something about this in my other post on this thread. Many who know me, know that I also agree that people should come out when it feels comfortable to them. I've worked with many men and women who have struggled with being gay, lesbian, bi, or trans... and I've also shared the view with some of them that a person doesn't need to come out if he or she or zhe doesn't want to; there’s no "winning ribbon" given out once you cross the out lgbt gates. you're doing it for yourself, first and foremost. BUT.

and this is a big BUTT here, hahaha...

I feel that the rules don't apply so much for those in the public spotlight. and those in the public spotlight who have been specifically ASKED about their sexual orientation, ought to take responsibility for the fact that they're looked up to by many, and as such, ARE role models. so when celebs or politicians or other people in the public's eye deny their own sexual orientation to the public, they are demonstrating internalized homophobia. LADoug1, you're spot on. Barry did that - and on a completely different level, it's sad specifically for him. Imagine the torture he experienced over it... (I bet some readers of this forum can...)

"My personal thoughts about giving him a pass because 'he’s 73 years old'”... (Gar1eth) or “he should be given some leeway due to the times of his mainstream popularity in the '70's. It is now fashionable to judge people in the past by our standards of today. Instead, I believe we can be more lenient and need to view people by the standards of their day.” (bigjoey)

There’s no doubt that, with a more accepting culture towards lgbt lifestyles, it’s easier for people to come out now than it was then. but people DID come out 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 years ago, and we all should be lauding them for their actions. two of my lgbt heroes are Frank Kameny, whom I was lucky enough to meet through my work with lgbt rights, and Tobias Schneebaum, who became a personal friend of mine. I’ve also known Andy Warhol and John Waters, two others who came out early in their career... but those are other stories... and other “out” celebs of generations older than mine (but they’ve been my clients, so obviously, I’m not naming names.) How about - - - Roddy McDowall, Harvey Fierstein, Elton John, Ian McKellen, Meredith Baxter, Barney Frank, George Takei, Tab Hunter, Paul Lynde, Salvatore Mineo, Divine, Peter Tatchell, Gerry Studds, Robert Mapplethorpe, and David Geffen (yikes, almost afraid to mention that last one, given this thread!) Point being, they all are - or would have been if they’ve already passed - about Barry’s age (or older) right now.

Part of being a public figure means, unfortunately I suppose, that when asked about something, your evasion of it raises even more suspicion. hi, Donald Trump. why don’t you show us your taxes? it’s become such a big question. and in the words of whochamacallit, "People have got to know whether or not their president is a crook”.

sorry - I don’t mean to hijack this thread with Trump’s tax returns. I’m just trying to point out that when the public at large starts asking questions to a famous person, that famous person has a responsibility to address those questions in the most honest way possible. they are role models for others - like it or not. it’s part of being famous. and Barry, people have been asking you about this for decades -

“Caught up in a world of uphill climbing

The tears are in my eyes

And nothing is rhyming, oh Mandy...”

Oh, Barry...

Archived