Retired

OliverSaks
This topic is 2336 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A tall, built, beautiful blond man is going to have people trying to charm him no matter where he is located. ;)

Seriously, I love living in Austin, but I do pretty much stick to the Texas trifecta -- Dallas, Houston and Austin. (San Antonio occasionally.) Venture 20 miles outside of the radius of these metropolitan areas and you are quickly reminded that you are in TEXAS. The rednecks are very real, but pretty easy to avoid if you ignore State politics. (That's when you get smacked in the face about where you are really living.) :confused:

Clearly you are able to avoid the legislative session/happenings in Austin. I am not so lucky :(

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, in South Asia, East Asia and Southeast Asia, Buddhist is a religion, though it effects the secular philosophy very much in these regions. There are so many schools in Buddhism and their doctrines and practices also vary very much. Zen(禪/ Chán) is a school of Mahayana Buddhism.

Taosim, as a English word, is a little bit vague. In China, Taoist philosophy and Taoist regligion both exist. And the latter was derived from the former.

Anyway, we don't need to discuss religion and philosophy here. Just wish OliverSaks good luck in Taxes.

Well said! As I said in another post, it's both and neither depending on who you ask, which school of thought you're discussing, and more.

Going to be relocating to Texas in late Spring for a new position.

hope the mafia will agree to play nice.

Congrats on matching!! xoxoxox

Despite Oliver having mentioned his field of study in other threads, I didn't connect his post about moving to Match Day. Congratulations, Oliver! Best wishes for a successful residency.

If I were a "Gay Buddhist Atheist Vegan", only gay of which I am, who planned on moving to Texas what would concern me the most would be being Vegan. Good god Texas is beef county and thus a meat lover paradise. The hill country of Texas, that area between San Antonio and Austin, is barbeque central. Living there and not being a beef barbeque fanatic would almost be considered sacrilege. People spend hours debating over which is the best barbeque joint and whether it is in Llano or Taylor or some such other place. I have made many a trip from Los Angeles to Austin simply to drive around the hill country sampling various barbeque joints for lunch AND dinner.

Good luck being a vegan in this part of the world.

P.S. I do hope you all understand this is all tongue in cheek.

I will admit to having lots of fun in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Only because I could only handle about three days of Oklahoma before I was ready to start shooting people. By going to DFW, I was able to go back to OKC for another three days. The family only barely noticed.

Clearly, you haven't spend much time in Texas.

I'm not a native, but I've found the state charming. I try not to stereotype people or places and it's worked in my favor more times than none ;)

Clearly, you haven't spend much time in Texas.

I'm not a native, but I've found the state charming. I try not to stereotype people or places and it's worked in my favor more times than none ;)

I have been trapped in Texasshole way more than I have cared for on business travel,

Id rather have dental work than spend any more in the butt plug state then required.

You found the Butt Plugs? In Texas? My Gawd, you must be well connected.

(The middle one is the famous one that pulled the butt plug, he's not covering his eyes)

http://s26.postimg.org/qmm7bhhjt/Speak_See_Hear_no_Evil.jpg

I have been trapped in Texasshole way more than I have cared for on business travel,

Id rather have dental work than spend any more in the butt plug state then required.

I will admit to having lots of fun in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Only because I could only handle about three days of Oklahoma before I was ready to start shooting people. By going to DFW, I was able to go back to OKC for another three days. The family only barely noticed.

My main problem with Oklahoma is that the wind either comes right behind the rain or as it's sweepin' down the plain.

With all this wind, I really just recommend wearing a baseball cap if you're going to visit.

• 9 months later...
Congrats on the new position. I too moved a lot during the early years of my work life. Texas being a stop for a few years. Living there, I missed the change of seasons, and learned I'd rather put up with a Midwest winter to enjoy the summers, than suffer through a Texas summer for a moderate winter. But, that's just me. Plus, we have all the water in the Midwest. Best of luck.

Is the new position downward facing dog?

Sadly, Austin hasn't been weird in quite some time

You can still find some of it in the Lamar area and the old neighborhoods downtown where the original residents haven't been priced out yet, but yeah, buy and large the weird aspect is gone.

It's still the most liberal city in Texas, and for me, the only city that I can stand living in. If I wanted a bigger city it would be Houston. I know that is heavily influenced by the fact that my friends there are all Latino so those are the elements of the city I've experienced and enjoyed. I'm not going to bash Dallas, but I could never ever see myself living there.

It's still the most liberal city in Texas, and for me, the only city that I can stand living in. If I wanted a bigger city it would be Houston. I know that is heavily influenced by the fact that my friends there are all Latino so those are the elements of the city I've experienced and enjoyed. I'm not going to bash Dallas, but I could never ever see myself living there.

I agree totally about Austin. Aside from the traffic and the impending crunch, it's a livable city.

And bash away on Dallas... It's an empty, cement city. I'm not a huge fan.