Retired

OliverSaks
This topic is 2325 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the new position. I too moved a lot during the early years of my work life. Texas being a stop for a few years. Living there, I missed the change of seasons, and learned I'd rather put up with a Midwest winter to enjoy the summers, than suffer through a Texas summer for a moderate winter. But, that's just me. Plus, we have all the water in the Midwest. Best of luck.

Congrats on the new position. I too moved a lot during the early years of my work life. Texas being a stop for a few years. Living there, I missed the change of seasons, and learned I'd rather put up with a Midwest winter to enjoy the summers, than suffer through a Texas summer for a moderate winter. But, that's just me. Plus, we have all the water in the Midwest. Best of luck.

LOL. There's definitely two types of people. I hate cold and snow with every fiber of my being. I will happily tolerate a Texas summer to avoid that. Actually, I kind of enjoy and look forward to it.

No, Buddhism isn't a religion. It's a life philosophy like Taoism or Zen. Atheism is a religious position. It's entirely possible to be a Christian Buddhist for example.

Interesting. The first sentence of the Wikipedia page on Buddhism says it is a religion. Somebody should correct it.

A friend of mine has just moved from Palm Springs, where at this moment it is 94 and sunny, with 16% humidity, to Ann Arbor, Michigan, where at this moment it is 32 with mixed snow and rain. I am not eager to visit her anytime soon.

Michigan has natural beauty. You need to be able to tolerate the cold to appreciate living there. Summers and fall are wonderful, and with it being on the western edge of the eastern time zone, summer daylight until past 9:30 pm. Sunsets on Lake Michigan rival California and Hawaii, and for those morning people, a sunrise across one if it's many lakes is not to be missed. Second in the US for the most boats.

Michigan has natural beauty. You need to be able to tolerate the cold to appreciate living there. Summers and fall are wonderful, and with it being on the western edge of the eastern time zone, summer daylight until past 9:30 pm. Sunsets on Lake Michigan rival California and Hawaii, and for those morning people, a sunrise across one if it's many lakes is not to be missed. Second in the US for the most boats.

I lived in Troy for five years. Michigan really is beautiful for about 6 months out of the year. Lush and green, and you're right about the lakes, you don't have to be rich to have a house on a small lake. But the winters are brutal. I felt trapped pretty much from November through April. I had to get out of there or start treatment for seasonal depression. :(

A friend of mine has just moved from Palm Springs, where at this moment it is 94 and sunny, with 16% humidity, to Ann Arbor, Michigan, where at this moment it is 32 with mixed snow and rain. I am not eager to visit her anytime soon.

Go Wolverines! Jim Harbaugh you are STILL on my bucket list! :rolleyes:

IMG_1646.jpg

ecPbRs7u.jpg

7dcd4d28c852feb8cad0e55e7ef697a0.jpg

48c8dfd472f46d3da617ff24f5019416.jpg

Sorry. You've gotta do what Ya gotta do. :rolleyes:

Edited by Larstrup

But the winters are brutal. I felt trapped pretty much from November through April. I had to get out of there or start treatment for seasonal depression.

The secret to Midwest living, each winter, spend a week (or two) in Hawaii, and/or a week (or two) in Florida. Such a nice break. That's why they call us snowbirds.

Niles' Weekly Register - April 9, 1836

"A gentleman from Nacogdoches, in Texas, informs us, that, whilst there, he dined in public with Col. [Davey] Crockett, who had just arrived from Tennessee. The old bear-hunter, on being toasted, made a speech to the Texians, replete with his usual dry humor. He began nearly in this style: 'I am told, gentlemen, that, when a stranger, like myself,arrives among you, the first inquiry is -- what brought you here? To satisfy your curiosity at once as to myself, I will tell you all about it. I was, for some years, a member of congress. In my last canvass, I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might all go to h---, and I would go to Texas. I was beaten, gentlemen, and here I am.' The roar of applause was like a thunder-burst."

I know a gay Buddhist. You won't be the only one in the state. Most people will leave you to your own devices if you remember to MYOB, and don't ask how many acres or bulls they own. Yes, it may feel as if you're living in a steam bath in the summer, but you don't have to shovel humidity. Welcome to Texas.

2017+texas+bluebonnet+season+best+fields+locations+places+see+where+photography+tour+tours+workshop+workshops+Hill+Country+Austin+Things+to+do?format=1000w

No, Buddhism isn't a religion. It's a life philosophy like Taoism or Zen. Atheism is a religious position. It's entirely possible to be a Christian Buddhist for example.

As far as I know, in South Asia, East Asia and Southeast Asia, Buddhist is a religion, though it effects the secular philosophy very much in these regions. There are so many schools in Buddhism and their doctrines and practices also vary very much. Zen(禪/ Chán) is a school of Mahayana Buddhism.

Taosim, as a English word, is a little bit vague. In China, Taoist philosophy and Taoist regligion both exist. And the latter was derived from the former.

Anyway, we don't need to discuss religion and philosophy here. Just wish OliverSaks good luck in Taxes.

Lawdy - Y'all better sleep with your running shoes on -- Cause with all that you might just as well carry a sign that

says Commie-Trump Hating-Hippy Fag!

Run Forest! Run!

Clearly, you haven't spent much time in Texas.

I'm not a native, but I've found the state charming. I try not to stereotype people or places and it's worked in my favor more times than none ;)

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

Clearly, you haven't spend much time in Texas.

I'm not a native, but I've found the state charming. I try not to stereotype people or places and it's worked in my favor more times than none ;)

A tall, built, beautiful blond man is going to have people trying to charm him no matter where he is located. ;)

Seriously, I love living in Austin, but I do pretty much stick to the Texas trifecta -- Dallas, Houston and Austin. (San Antonio occasionally.) Venture 20 miles outside of the radius of these metropolitan areas and you are quickly reminded that you are in TEXAS. The rednecks are very real, but pretty easy to avoid if you ignore State politics. (That's when you get smacked in the face about where you are really living.) :confused: