Hello Dolly

This topic is 2059 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love people who love Broadway.

Great post. Infectious smiles. Well done :)

Dying to see the show again in August. Only regret was that I never got to see Donna Murphy in the role. Been contemplating a one-day drive-there-and-back to NYC to catch her in a performance, but it’s a little cost prohibitive. And 13hrs roundtrip.

Dying to see the show again in August. Only regret was that I never got to see Donna Murphy in the role. Been contemplating a one-day drive-there-and-back to NYC to catch her in a performance, but it’s a little cost prohibitive. And 13hrs roundtrip.

DM is the best Dolly. She doesn't let star power overpower her performance. She creates the most realized Dolly.

• 2 weeks later...
Before the Parade Passes By is on Linda Eder's new CD. I think she would make a great Dolly after listening to her perfrom that song.

I listened to her do it live for the first time in front of an audience at 54 Below a few weeks ago: The key changes and the arrangement really suit her voice.

As for her acting, that's another story. I love Linda, but she's never been known as a strong actress. Listening to her do lines in Jekyll & Hyde was comical.

It's also why she starts every show by saying 'Hi, I'm Linda Eder and I'm a singer.' True story.

I was junior in college in early 1964 in Boston where Barbra Streisand and company were doing the out of town tryout of 'Funny Girl.' The needed a lot of work. And Barbra was actually directing herself.

People forget that both 'Hello, Dolly' and 'Funny Girl' opened at the same time on Broadway in 1964. Both musicals were enormous hits. The succcess of Dolly was unexpected. Carol Channing was not the first or second choice for Dolly Levi. Yet she was a sensation in the role. And she is still with us in her 90s. Bless her.

As for her acting, that's another story. I love Linda, but she's never been known as a strong actress. Listening to her do lines in Jekyll & Hyde was comical.

It's also why she starts every show by saying 'Hi, I'm Linda Eder and I'm a singer.' True story.

This is probably one reason why her then-husband seemed to write so many damned park-and-bark anthem-ish ballads with awful lyrics, instead of more songs that an actor can really sink their teeth into. His songs too often have the effect of stopping a show cold instead of moving the action along. He's an accomplished tunesmith...but...

I listened to her do it live for the first time in front of an audience at 54 Below a few weeks ago: The key changes and the arrangement really suit her voice.

Next time I see her I'll have to pay attention to how she starts the show. Unfrtounately Jekyll and Hyde was before I started going to Broadway show but there are a couple videos of her performing in J&H on youtube and she seems to perform well in those. I saw Debroah Cox do it prebroadway for the revival in Chicago a few years ago and Linda has a much better voice for Lucy and I didn't think Deborah could act at all.

Next time I see her I'll have to pay attention to how she starts the show. Unfrtounately Jekyll and Hyde was before I started going to Broadway show but there are a couple videos of her performing in J&H on youtube and she seems to perform well in those. I saw Debroah Cox do it prebroadway for the revival in Chicago a few years ago and Linda has a much better voice for Lucy and I didn't think Deborah could act at all.

Good observation on Cox. While she was pretty great when she took over in Disney's AIDA, her turn as Lucy in the revival of J&H was painful. Listening to her scoop her way up to those notes, alongside her screaming co-star, felt like some kind of gay musical water-torture.

I've never heard anyone sing those songs as well as Eder. Granted, they were written for her voice, but to this day, she can still sing them as effortlessly and with as much power as she did 20+ years ago.

Good observation on Cox. While she was pretty great when she took over in Disney's AIDA, her turn as Lucy in the revival of J&H was painful. Listening to her scoop her way up to those notes, alongside her screaming co-star, felt like some kind of gay musical water-torture.

I've never heard anyone sing those songs as well as Eder. Granted, they were written for her voice, but to this day, she can still sing them as effortlessly and with as much power as she did 20+ years ago.

Someone like you is one of my favorite songs. It's too bad they cut out "bring on the men" from her production. Like you said though the songs were written for her by her husband at the time. Mancinci died before he finished writing Victor/Victoria and Frank Wildhorn wrote a few songs for that and Linda sings "living in the shadows" on one of her CD's and I think her version is better than Julie Andrews singing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw Bette last night in Hello Dolly. This was the 3rd time I've seen the show. She was mesmerizing and the audience was full of her fans. I'm happy to say the entire cast is wonderful and I still think Charlie Stemp almost steals the show. Bette does indeed clown around a bit and it appeared that she and David made an effort to crack each other up during the food scene. At one point Bette threw dumpling at the conductor in the orchestra pit!

Show closes on Aug 25 and the national tour with Betty Buckley is off and running across the USA.

September 25 – 26, 2018 Utica Stanley Theatre

September 30 – October 21, 2018 Cleveland Playhouse Square

October 23 – November 17, 2018. Chicago Oriental Theatre

November 20 – 25, 2018 Miami Arsht Center

November 27 – December 2, 2018 Orlando Dr. Phillips Center

December 4 – 9, 2018 Tampa Straz Center

December 11 – 16, 2018 West Palm Beach Kravis Center

January 8 – 13, 2019 Tempe ASU Gammage

January 15 – 20, 2019 San Diego Civic Theatre

January 22 – 27, 2019 Costa Mesa Segerstrom Center

January 29 – February 17, 2019 Los Angeles Hollywood Pantages

February 19 – March 17, 2019 San Francisco SHN Golden Gate Theatre