Hello Dolly

This topic is 2044 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turns out my one friend hadn't bought tickets yet, he thought he could get them at the box office LOL. Luckily my other friend I'm with and I were able to get orchestra tickets last night, someone cancelled and the tickets were $325 but was well worth it. Bette was amazing (I saw her in vegas at the collegium about 8 years ago)

David Hyde Pierce was great and so was Gavin Creel (as well as nice eye candy LOL).

She messed up during the song "Hello DOlly" and forgot part of a line and the way she pulled it off was great and made it entertaining. They received a standing ovation after the song and I've seen hundreds of broadway shows and the only other time I've seen the audience give a standing ovation after a song in a show was when Patti Lupone performed Roses Turn in Gypsy.

They received a standing ovation after the song and I've seen hundreds of broadway shows and the only other time I've seen the audience give a standing ovation after a song in a show was when Patti Lupone performed Roses Turn in Gypsy.

The only time I've seen one was for Andrea Martin singing No Time at All in Pippin while swinging from a trapeze.

The only other time I've seen the audience give a standing ovation after a song in a show was when Patti Lupone performed Rose's Turn in Gypsy.

The only time I've seen one was for Andrea Martin singing No Time at All in Pippin while swinging from a trapeze.

I understand that the big production number "A Musical" from Something Rotten usually got nightly standing ovations on Broadway.

I'm in the camp with those that feel that Streisand was miscast in the film. No need to see it, IMO. ;)

Disagree...I FEEL she was perfect in the movie and not too young. Great acting, funny as hell and great singing. What more can you ask. The rest of the cast was great too.Gene Kelly (or was it Babs) did a great job in directing.

?

Disagree...I FEEL she was perfect in the movie and not too young. Great acting, funny as hell and great singing. What more can you ask. The rest of the cast was great too.Gene Kelly (or was it Babs) did a great job in directing.

?

I've always felt she misses an essential warmth, and that the humor often seems forced, in that "look how hard I'm working to hit a joke" kind of way. (While Channing was a little more eccentric, she balanced that with lots of warmth. With Channing, you cared enough that you didn't want that metaphorical parade to pass her by. With Streisand, she's just showing off her voice. IMO.) The opening song ("Just Leave Everything To Me") written for the film to replace the opening number in the show ("I Put My Hand In"), is in some respects a better song than the stage song, but I feel Streisand hits it with a sledgehammer in the same way. Instead of it feeling breezy and inviting, it feels like she's trying to show us how HARD it is to get through it.

But, as I suggested, some people like it, some don't. That's ok. ;)

I've always felt she misses an essential warmth, and that the humor often seems forced, in that "look how hard I'm working to hit a joke" kind of way.

I have never seen Barbra Streisand in a film musical. But, I did not think she lacked warmth or showed "how hard I am working" in either "I Can Get It For You Wholesale" or "Funny Girl." To be fair, both of those musicals were tryouts prior to Broadway.

My parents took me to see "Annie Get Your Gun" with Betty Hutton in Lexington MA when I was six or seven. I did like "White Christmas" and "Pete Kelly's Blues," and perhaps "Easter Parade," but that's it.

I have never seen Barbra Streisand in a film musical. But, I did not think she lacked warmth or showed "how hard I am working" in either "I Can Get It For You Wholesale" or "Funny Girl." To be fair, both of those musicals were tryouts prior to Broadway.

Film and live theatre are, of course, very different mediums - and it could be that I feel she just comes off differently in film. Not all of her films, to be fair - but this one just didn't feel like a good fit to me.

I'm jealous that you got to see her early on in Wholesale - back when no one yet knew she was going to be a star. Very cool!

I was watching Judy Garland's weekly Sunday night variety show the night Streisand was a guest (Fall, 1963). They were good together.

Suddenly Ethel Merman started singing from the audience. Judy brought Merman on stage. Judy noticed that Barbra looked overwhelmed by Merman. so Garland included Streisand in the conversation from that point on. Garland was uncomfortable as a host, but her kindness showed

often..

I didn't know Andrea Martin performedas Granny in Pippin. I saw it a few years ago with Annie Potts and love how they got the audience into the song. This was before my time but I heard the version Irene Ryan from Beverly Hillbilly's did and it was really good

I didn't know Andrea Martin performedas Granny in Pippin. I saw it a few years ago with Annie Potts and love how they got the audience into the song. This was before my time but I heard the version Irene Ryan from Beverly Hillbilly's did and it was really good

The audience participation was in the original (i.e. Irene Ryan) version as well. In the recent revival (with Andrea Martin et al), the sing-along lyrics were projected onstage in rather neutral block lettering - in the original, a huge banner flew in from above, with the lyrics in "medieval"-style print.

http://www.theaterhalloffame.org/images/group1.jpg

Carol Channing who opened Hello Dolly and Ethel Merman who performed in the last Broadway performance of Dolly

also in the photo Angela Lansbury, Lillian Gish and Princess Grace of Monaco

Channing frequently complained Merman never remembered her name.

That is quite a photo- to the right of Princess Grace is a very young Ellen Burstyn, to the left of Lansbury is Susan Strasberg, above her is Adolph Green, above Gish is Al Pacino, above Channing is Estelle Parsons, and above Princess Grace is Burgess Meredith. What was the event? That's a pretty stellar assembly.

That is quite a photo- to the right of Princess Grace is a very young Ellen Burstyn, to the left of Lansbury is Susan Strasberg, above her is Adolph Green, above Gish is Al Pacino, above Channing is Estelle Parsons, and above Princess Grace is Burgess Meredith. What was the event? That's a pretty stellar assembly.

I live in Philadelphia. The last time Grace Kelly came back to Philadelphia was either 1981 or 1982. Both Ethel Merman and Al Pacino look younger than I remember them in person, especially Pacino. The only clue is the Theater Hall of Fame poster in the back.

At The Theater Hall of Fame Awards at the Uris Theater in NYC on March 28, 1982

At The Theater Hall of Fame Awards at the Uris Theater in NYC on March 28, 1982

Yes, Grace Kelly died in either August or September 0f 1982. I was attending a Phillies baseball when it was announced. It was totally unexpected because her brother and sisters here were not told by the palace in Monaco about her extensive injuries in a car accident.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this last night, at a late preview. I think it opens next Thursday, April 20.

RUN, DO NOT WALK!!! This was fabulous in every way! My full-price ticket, purchased at the box office months ago, was $189, fourth row, center mezz. A perfect seat, and worth every penny! Bette Midler is, well.....BETTE MIDLER! David Hyde Pierce was born to play Horace Vendergelder. I remember David Burns in the original on Bway, and Mr Pierce is even better -- and David Burns was wonderful in everything he ever did.

Bette had a minor coughing fit at the end of the first act, when she was on stage alone, so Cornelius Hackl brought her some water, and she stayed in character, but then ad libbed a bit -- which was so delightful! I think she may have some voice problems ahead, as she really belts it out, but no matter. SHE'S BETTE MIDLER!

I cannot remember enjoying a night in the theater so much -- not since "Anything Goes" a few years ago, with Sutton Foster, I think it was. But this was even better!

I saw this last night, at a late preview. I think it opens next Thursday, April 20.

RUN, DO NOT WALK!!! This was fabulous in every way! My full-price ticket, purchased at the box office months ago, was $189, fourth row, center mezz. A perfect seat, and worth every penny! Bette Midler is, well.....BETTE MIDLER! David Hyde Pierce was born to play Horace Vendergelder. I remember David Burns in the original on Bway, and Mr Pierce is even better -- and David Burns was wonderful in everything he ever did.

Bette had a minor coughing fit at the end of the first act, when she was on stage alone, so Cornelius Hackl brought her some water, and she stayed in character, but then ad libbed a bit -- which was so delightful! I think she may have some voice problems ahead, as she really belts it out, but no matter. SHE'S BETTE MIDLER!

I cannot remember enjoying a night in the theater so much -- not since "Anything Goes" a few years ago, with Sutton Foster, I think it was. But this was even better!